Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-23-2011, 01:59 PM   #1 
ScoobyBlue

Talking Introductions...

Hello All! What a fantastic place to learn all i need to learn about Bettas! My daughter is 6 years old and wanted a Betta. We picked up the 2.5 Aqueon bow front aquarium on sale this weekend and it has the divider - The Beta Bow Front. We got a gorgeous half moon betta that is dark blue and green in color. My daughter is a HUGE Scooby Doo fan so her Betta is now named "Scooby Blue".

We have had the tank cycling since yesterday and are planning to put Blue in there tonight. Has it been long enough? The filter is at the top and doesn't appear to be that strong but during my research today I have seen some horror stories of Bettas getting caught behind or attached to the filter. Does anyone else have this 2.5 bow tank and have you had any problems?

Any newbie advice on introducing Blue to his tank and ways to keep him safe from the filter would be appreciated! I ordered the Hagen mini summersible heater 25 watt today but it won't be here until Wed. I'm hoping he will be warm enough until it arrives. Blue is currently residing in the little tub that he was purchased in. We bought him yesterday.

Thanks in advance everyone!
ScoobyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:06 PM   #2 
Burd

Welcome to the forums. :)

Unfortunately, you'll find many here who will tell you that cycling in a 2.5 gallon tank is impossible or at the least nearly impossible. It's not worth trying. However! You'll have to do less water changes than in a smaller tank, so that's a plus! I'll let someone else recommend how often to do them but cycling just isn't going to happen for you. :/ To "cycle" you need a tank 5 gallons or larger.

While you've got him in the little tub he came in though, you'll -definitely- need to do daily water changes for him in there. Just try to keep him somewhere warm and keep the temperature of the water you put him in the same.

There's no reason if you've got water conditioner that you couldn't introduce him into the tank you've got right away. Start by just floating his little cup in it for about 15 minutes. Put a handful of the new water in his cup and keep doing this in 15 minute intervals for an hour or so. He'll adjust to the water and be ready to go in real soon.

I don't know what kind of filter you've got. If it's one made for the tank, it'll probably be fine to run as it is. Stronger filters need 'baffling' as bettas don't like rough currents. Simple process of sticking a sponge or something on to slow it down. There's a guide that has a more involved process that could be fun for your 6 year old to try too!

He should be fine for a couple days without the heater but make sure you try to keep him warm.

Good luck and again, welcome! He sounds like a pretty fish and I hope you share some pictures of him. :)
Burd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:11 PM   #3 
Stardancer

What Burd said :) Also, if you're worried about the filter intake, you can wrap the intake with something--aquarium sponge is a favorite, and I've heard of pantyhose too. You can just rubber band it on; all you have to do is check to make sure there's still enough suction for the water to get into the filter.

Best of luck in your new fishkeeping endeavors!
Stardancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:18 PM   #4 
ScoobyBlue

Thank you so much for your reply! I do wish I had researched before we made the purchase of the 2.5 and yes, we would have gone bigger had I known. Dummy me. That just means that as we get better at this - we will have to upgrade.

We did do water conditioner so we will introduce Scooby Blue tonight as you suggested.

Thanks again for your help and I will post pics!
Old 05-23-2011, 02:19 PM   #5 
ScoobyBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardancer View Post
What Burd said :) Also, if you're worried about the filter intake, you can wrap the intake with something--aquarium sponge is a favorite, and I've heard of pantyhose too. You can just rubber band it on; all you have to do is check to make sure there's still enough suction for the water to get into the filter.

Best of luck in your new fishkeeping endeavors!

Great idea about the filter! I will watch Scooby Blue closely tonight to see how he reacts to it. Thank you!!
Old 05-23-2011, 02:21 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping...its a great hobby to share with your children and family......

In a 2.5gal filtered tank with one Betta will work great and you can safely establish the nitrogen cycle with the Betta provided that you make the needed water changes....that being twice weekly 50%...1-50% water only and 1-50% to include the substrate by vacuum or stir and dip method.

Your first water change needs to start on day 3 and then schedule from that point....

The 2.5gal filtered tank will establish the nitrogen cycle, however, due to lack of enough surface area you have limited beneficial bacteria to maintain a stable cycle...but no worries......as long as you make the twice weekly water changes all should be fine.....

Filter media-needs a swish/rinse in old tank water with a water change a couple of times a month.

It is important to acclimate the Betta to both temp and chemical of the new source water by adding small amount of dechlorinated tank water to the holding cup...pour half the water out from the holding cup and add tank water-repeat until 100% tank water over 20-30min...be sure and toss any pet shop water out...never add this to your tank...net the Betta and add to the tank....top off the tank with like temp dechlorinated water if needed.....

When making water changes-try to keep the water temp between the new and old water within a couple of degrees to prevent temp shock and Always use dechlorinated with any new water added to the tank.....

Look forward to hearing more about your Betta and seeing some pic......

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 05-23-2011 at 02:25 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:37 PM   #7 
kumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyBlue View Post
Thank you so much for your reply! I do wish I had researched before we made the purchase of the 2.5 and yes, we would have gone bigger had I known. Dummy me. That just means that as we get better at this - we will have to upgrade.

We did do water conditioner so we will introduce Scooby Blue tonight as you suggested.

Thanks again for your help and I will post pics!
Hi. If the filter on the Mini Bow is too strong, the easiest thing to do is to remove the carbon from one of the cartridges and replace it with aquarium sponge. That was suggested by another Mini Bow owner on this site and it worked well for me. I ended getting a Fluval product to use as the sponge just cause it was the least expensive product in the store when I was there.

Enjoy Scooby Blue!

Kumi
kumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:09 PM   #8 
Tisia

that's an adorable name! lol
btw, we love pics on this site ^_^
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:56 PM   #9 
ScoobyBlue

He's In

Okay - so far, so good. Scooby Blue is in his new home. I took a picture of him and it's attached - I hope. In the pictures he looks much greener than in real life. From the picture it looks like his name should be Scooby Green rather than Scooby Blue, LOL!

He is staying busy, swimming alot. I guess that's good. He goes up to the top and grabs some air. That's normal, right?

I can't thank you all enough for the help. Oldfishlady - you had excellent advice and I appreciate the lenghty reply. Thank you! I refered to ALL the posts as I was getting him settled in. Kept reading them to make sure I was getting it right.

Thanks for the warm welcome and I look forward to getting to know you!
Attached Images

Old 05-23-2011, 08:09 PM   #10 
Tisia

he's gorgeous! and yes, bettas get most of their oxygen from the air, and active is good as well, if he starts acting lethargic there's probably something wrong
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote