Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-24-2011, 04:51 PM   #11 
Oldfishlady

Don't confuse bloat with a normal full tummy......usually with bloat you will have other symptoms too...like not eating or pooping, lethargy, hiding, sometimes you will see buoyancy problems due to the pressure on the swimbladder...full or big tummy can mean he just ate, obese, fatty liver, tumors, short bodied, spine issues/deformities to name a few things that can make the tummy look big

Its great that he is willing to eat for you and active in general...these are all good signs....and as long as you haven't seen any behavior changes or other symptoms...I would stay on top of water changes as you are and add 100% changes on the small holding cup at least 2-3 times a week, fed small frequent meals and monitor......most important...enjoy your Bettas and new found addiction...lol......

Why do you have salt in the 10gal...do you still have him in the small cup floating in the 10gal......

When you treat-its best to treat in a small QT container and not the display tank unless it has other fish with the same symptoms and they all need to be treated....

Beautiful Betta you have too by the way.......

What happened to/with the Betta that died...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:54 PM   #12 
SillyCone

dang it, OFL posted first.

----------------------

Double edit, I will leave what I would write anyway, OFL can just spank me if necessary... Not that hard please ;E

-----------------------------------

Good news everyone! I quickly searched for the answers I've been seeking for this problem.

Ok, I will tell you what you should do;

Go to a pharmacy and buy Epsom Salt (Magnesium Sulphate) they don't sell those at pet-shops.

Do a 2tsp/G in a small aquarium/tank, if you can try a 1G or 2G tank.

Do 100% daily water change.

Continue the treatment for 7-10days, since it may take a while for the fish to respond with the epsom salt with bloating issues.

Keep us posted and good luck with your fish =]

Last edited by SillyCone; 05-24-2011 at 04:56 PM. Reason: OFL!
SillyCone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:02 PM   #13 
ScarletAngel209

Well, he is swimming normally, no signs of any disease, so maybe he is just chubby by nature.

We have him in a display tank in the 10 gallon tank. The display tank has slits at the bottom which allows the water to flow through his tank without letting other fish get to him or him get to other fish.

There are swordtails in the main tank, keeping them in slightly brackish water conditions (this was recommended by pet store owner).

So I take it, it's okay to go ahead and feed him now?

We do have a separate "hospital tank" if we need to quarantine him at some stage.

Thanks We currently have... 3 female bettas and 3 male bettas... bound to expand soon. Not really sure what happened to my little guy, only had him for about a week... noticed a bit of white "Fluff" on his tail on closer inspection... not sure if that has anything to do with why he died. Thankfully he was in a separate tank on his own.
ScarletAngel209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:40 PM   #14 
Oldfishlady

I wouldn't keep the Betta in salt long term especially salt used to make brackish water...... not really needed with swordtail anyway unless that was what they had been kept in from birth and you will need a much bigger tank for them since they get about 6 inches...
Old 05-29-2011, 04:01 PM   #15 
ScarletAngel209

Update: He has now developed another smaller type bulge under the first one... almost like an extension... both are getting bigger and the smaller one looks like it's turning white and the scales are splitting... Could this be a tumor?? If so, is there any treatment or anything we can do?? He is eating normally, swimming normally, as feisty as ever.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:28 PM   #16 
Oldfishlady

Can you post a pic.......
Old 06-01-2011, 03:15 PM   #17 
ScarletAngel209

This is his container inside the 10gallon tank.

Top View

Old 06-01-2011, 03:16 PM   #18 
ScarletAngel209

Those are the best pictures we could get of the bulge.... Hopefully you can see clear enough.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:18 PM   #19 
Punki

Oh my goodness, that looks bad, i hate to say. Hopefully someone answers asap to give suggestions. Ive never seen such a thing.
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:25 PM   #20 
ScarletAngel209

Likewise... the strange thing is that he's acting 100% healthy... Eating fine, swimming fine, flaring at anything that crosses his path... wants to fight anything... all perfectly fine... just that bulge...