Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-24-2011, 07:35 PM   #1 
phoenix91

Plant Appreciation.

For some reason right now i am more enamored by the plants in my tanks than i am their inhabitants. Don't get me wrong i love my fish, they are cute and funny and so interesting to watch; but lately my banana plant has been doing some pretty interesting things so i thought i'd start a plant appreciation thread.

This is my banana plant:
Name:  photo (4).jpg
Views: 122
Size:  47.7 KB

Just an average looking plant i picked up at my lfs, i didn't even really want it but they were out of whatever i'd gone in to buy so i got this instead.

About a week ago it started to grow a long stalk:
Name:  photo (5).jpg
Views: 122
Size:  38.3 KB

Don't mind Artemis, she thought i was taking photos of her, silly girl :)
It's also sending out runners so in the near future i should have tiny baby banana plants.

Today it looks like this: (sorry about the top view)
Name:  photo (6).jpg
Views: 119
Size:  44.4 KB

I asked around and apparently these cute little plants sometimes flower. I'm thinking it will just get a lily pad which is already growing but if it could flower i would be thrilled.

So right now this is my favourite plant.

Anyone else have a favourite?
phoenix91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:53 PM   #2 
BluedreauxOrlando

This is my first time taking up this new Betta hobby but I just put some bulbs at the bottom and boy do they grow fast
BluedreauxOrlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:56 PM   #3 
Littlebittyfish

I love my moss wisteriaand my anubias. They are very hardy plants...which is great for me...haha
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:28 AM   #4 
laughing

LittleBittyFish- What do you have your anubias on? I am considering "planting" some into the sand for my new 10 gallon... Not sure if it would do well though...

I only have anacharis & a moss ball right now but I LOVE val plants! I might make it to the not-so-local fish store on Friday to get at their new shipment. The worker said they had some val about 4 inches tall for $1.99 and will be getting a bunch of new plants Friday... I might splurge for about 3 of those and some others... We'll see! ;)

I love watching my anacharis shoot, it's so adorable! C:
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:47 AM   #5 
LeroyTheBetta

I love my plants, too! My tanks aren't nicely aquascaped, they're sort of haphazardly planted.... although I do put some thought into where they go and how much light they'll get in that spot, etc. I am just happy knowing they're helping to keep my tanks healthy.

I really like one of my java ferns. I attached it to some driftwood & it's grown very well in a short amount of time. It's roots are a bit tangled and sort of go every-which-way... I love the natural, messy look of it!

I also recently put in some stems of (?) water sprite. They were very boring looking, but the new growth of the bottom leaves are incredibly large and healthy looking & a lovely colour compared to the original growth.

I like all my plants.... I also have "normal" val, corkscrew val, hairgrass, mayaca, milfoil, anubia, dwarf pongol (still doing ok), wisteria, elodea, and 1 sprig of purple waffle & pennywort. I've got some java moss on the way from a bid on ebay, will have than in a week or so.

I'm trying to "thicken up" my community tank at the moment, as I have a molly that may have some fry in a couple weeks. I"m not going to move the fry out of that tank, but I do want to provide extra cover for them so that as many as possible of the clever and strong ones make it past snack size!

Last edited by LeroyTheBetta; 05-25-2011 at 12:53 AM.
LeroyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:58 AM   #6 
laughing

@Leroy- How have your shipped plants managed? I'm considering ordering online.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:51 AM   #7 
phoenix91

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluedreauxOrlando View Post
This is my first time taking up this new Betta hobby but I just put some bulbs at the bottom and boy do they grow fast
I've never planted bulbs, i'm too impatient and probably couldn't wait for them to grow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughing View Post
LittleBittyFish- What do you have your anubias on? I am considering "planting" some into the sand for my new 10 gallon... Not sure if it would do well though...

I only have anacharis & a moss ball right now but I LOVE val plants! I might make it to the not-so-local fish store on Friday to get at their new shipment. The worker said they had some val about 4 inches tall for $1.99 and will be getting a bunch of new plants Friday... I might splurge for about 3 of those and some others... We'll see! ;)

I love watching my anacharis shoot, it's so adorable! C:
I have 3 nano marimo, i had 5 but gave 1 to a friend and put 1 in my snail tank so i don't count it. i tried to get some val online but the place i ordered from was out, i still might try again because i do like the look of it.

Anacharis is the plant i intended to get when i got my banana plant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeroyTheBetta View Post
I love my plants, too! My tanks aren't nicely aquascaped, they're sort of haphazardly planted.... although I do put some thought into where they go and how much light they'll get in that spot, etc. I am just happy knowing they're helping to keep my tanks healthy.

I really like one of my java ferns. I attached it to some driftwood & it's grown very well in a short amount of time. It's roots are a bit tangled and sort of go every-which-way... I love the natural, messy look of it!

I also recently put in some stems of (?) water sprite. They were very boring looking, but the new growth of the bottom leaves are incredibly large and healthy looking & a lovely colour compared to the original growth.

I like all my plants.... I also have "normal" val, corkscrew val, hairgrass, mayaca, milfoil, anubia, dwarf pongol (still doing ok), wisteria, elodea, and 1 sprig of purple waffle & pennywort. I've got some java moss on the way from a bid on ebay, will have than in a week or so.

I'm trying to "thicken up" my community tank at the moment, as I have a molly that may have some fry in a couple weeks. I"m not going to move the fry out of that tank, but I do want to provide extra cover for them so that as many as possible of the clever and strong ones make it past snack size!
Mine aren't aquascaped either, okay i tried to make my new 5 gallon look nice but i think i might have failed. I don't even take things like lighting into consideration, i probably should in the future. I have an amazon sword in my 3 gallon and it's in the wrong substrate (gravel) and is under led lights and that thing is getting massive. i even moved my second sword into that tank to see if it'll grow that well.

i have java fern attached to a rocks and i like 1 of the plants, it has a baby plant growing on one leaf but i don't like the other one for some reason, maybe because it just doesn't look as healthy.

What did you do with your wisteria? did you plant it or leave it free floating? i tried planting mine and it didn't like that too much so then i tried free floating and i didn't like that too much so now it's tied to a piece of upright driftwood. i maybe need to trim off some of the dead and see if that'll encourage it to do better.

I want some moss or some kind because hopefully soon i'll be getting a dwarf puffer and i've read they like moss. so i'm on the lookout for a good deal.
phoenix91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:59 AM   #8 
Burd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluedreauxOrlando View Post
I've considered getting the bulbs they sell at pet stores. How fast is 'fast'? And how big do they get? :D
Burd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:24 AM   #9 
Wyvern

Could you guys give me a link to these bulbs your talking about? I want to see what they look like at bulbs and as grown plants please.
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:53 AM   #10 
laughing

I love this thread! :3

How much lighting does you banana plant get??

Anyone have plants in sand substrate?