Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-24-2011, 09:08 PM   #1 
bwilsonhill
Banned

Exclamation I need help!!!!

Hi i really need some help!! i am new to this betta thing and i have a blue male betta whose fins are getting scragly and thin.....he has like 3-5 white dots on his face those things have been like that for like 2 weeks and now for the past 2 days since i started that quick cure stuff he has been laying down on the rocks or in his castle rock thing laying down and not moving so i changed his water just a second ago and he is still breathing way too hard but hes swimming around now!!! i alsso put some aquarium salt in there too!!! what should i do?? i dont know how to help him i have tried everyhting i could think of!!! please help me!!! i believe he has fin rot, ick and maybe some kind of fungus thing but not for sure i got him the beginning of feb and he was fine for awhile he lives in a fish bowl i have a 10 gallon tank but when i put him in there thats when everything went wrong!!! i dont know wut to do????

thanks, brittney
bwilsonhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:16 PM   #2 
Arashi Takamine

Okay first things first could you please fill this out? This'll make things a lot easier to figure out a way to help. It sounds like ich and possible fin rot.
Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:17 PM   #3 
bwilsonhill
Banned

Housing
What size is your tank? umm its a fish bowl like 1 gallon
What temperature is your tank? i dont have a temp thing
Does your tank have a filter? no ive never used one he was fine with that
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? a gold mystery snail

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? he really likes the freeze dried blood worms he is picky and thats all he eats, although i try to feed him the tetra pellets i bought him, because thats what they fed him at the store
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2/day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?1/week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? i add the aqua safe and just recently started the aquarium salt

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? no i have not

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? fins are thinned out he has white spots on his head and hes starting to look black in stead of blue on his face
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? he lays down or hides in the castle rock he wont really move but he still eats sometimes i catch him running into things
When did you start noticing the symptoms? the spots and the fins bout 2weeks ago and the breathing hard and running into thing bout 2-3 days ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? yes i have boughten aquarium salt and bought quick cure i have also done 50% water changes every 2 days
Does your fish have any history of being ill? not that i know of i got him at walmart about feb 3, 2011 and he has been fine until now...at least thats what i think...yeah definatly because the whole reason why i picked him was because he was very social and not scared of me...he would even allow me to pet him!!! :)
How old is your fish (approximately)?hes an adult but other than that i have no idea
Old 05-24-2011, 11:18 PM   #4 
bwilsonhill
Banned

thank you by the way for responding!!!
Old 05-25-2011, 12:06 AM   #5 
Arashi Takamine

Your welcome.

First things first with the AQ salt you need to change 100% every day for ten days. He may be coloring up and if his fins are thinned I'd remove the gold mystery snail and bump up on waterchanges. one a week on a one gallon is waay too little. He may be lethargic and there may be too much ammonia. Snails have a huuuge bioload and are so messy. He may be putting too much ammonia in the tank.

A heater will benefit him soo much you will see changes over night. I'd bump up waterchanges to two fifty percent changes (about half the water) a week and then a 100% change at the end of the week.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:14 AM   #6 
bwilsonhill
Banned

Question

Hi, ok so dont put any AQ salt in there then?? well the gold mystery snail is his buddy he actually likes him and he was fine with him in there for like 2 months and then he got sick could that still be why?? what do you think bout quick cure?? should i continue its use?? sorry i just want to make sure i get things rigt!!!! thank you so much!!!
Old 05-25-2011, 11:18 AM   #7 
bwilsonhill
Banned

oh and when i get a heater what temp is it suppose to be on??? i got him at walmart and they had him in this little cup container i felt so bad for him!!!
Old 05-25-2011, 11:22 AM   #8 
Blaze54

I keep my waters temp about 78-80 degrees. And my bettas love it! So much more active then when they were in those stupid cups.
Blaze54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:36 PM   #9 
orphansparrow

bwilsonhill -

i think you may want to stop using the quickcure.

instead do this:

* remove the snail, put him somewhere else.

* put the betta alone in the one gallon tank.

* go to walmart or a pet store. buy a heater that is 10 - 25 watts or so. or one that says it is safe for small tanks (they usually say "safe for 2 -10 gallon tanks". it's still okay if your tank is just a 1 gallon for now.) they are around $15.

(a lot of small heaters are not adjustable. they are set so that they keep the water at about 78 degrees. this will help your betta recover much quicker.)

* also buy an aquarium thermometer. they are about $2. (this is important so that you know your tank is not overheating, which it probably won't)

* bring the heater home. let it sit in the tank for apx. 20 minutes before you plug it in. then plug it in.

it's okay to do this while your betta is in the tank. it takes a while for the heater to get to the right temperature, and your fish will acclimate to the temperature fine, since the change will be gradual.

* in a one gallon container, add the water conditioner, and 1 tsp of aquarium salt. let the salt totally dissolve before adding the water to the tank.

* do 100% water changes with salt for 10 days.

after that, if he is still not better, come back to this forum and ask for more help. there are experts on here.

good luck, and keep us posted!

i just brought a fish back from near death. you can do it!

Last edited by orphansparrow; 05-25-2011 at 02:40 PM.
orphansparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:37 PM   #10 
bwilsonhill
Banned

Smile

Ok thank you so much that was very informative.....i will def do that.....thank you so much for your help, and i will keep in touch!!!!

Tags
betta, dont know, medication, sick