Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-25-2011, 02:37 AM   #1 
Luimeril

Unhappy clamped and inactive

Dx it's Caroline! the other day, she got all clamped and didn't move much. that's usually the cue that i've been slack on changing her water(which i'm usually very good about doing. changing it on time, i mean), so i went ahead and did a 100%. floated her, like i'm supposed to, let her out, she explored, but was angry at me(like always. she throws a little tantrum at every water change. mad at being cupped, i guess). she usually stays clamped for about a day, before being her usual, active, happy self.

not this time. D: she stayed clamped and inactive, prefering to burrow into the rocks, rather than swim about. i've never had this happen, so i went ahead, did another 100%, and left the filter out. maybe she's bored with the filter, or it's too strong for some reason.

that was... about three days ago. she did her usual pouting, but by now, she should be un-clamped, active, and excited about everything. now, she's only excited about food, but still stays VERY clamped. tapping on the side of her tank gets her attention, but she still doesn't un-clamp. tapping on the top usually gets her excited, but not this time. Dx

and, i just now saw her spazz out. she flitted about her tank, for no reason, before resting back at the top.

she's in a 1.5 gallon tank. i took out the filter, and she has a clump of Java moss, and four small Marimo balls(they'd be in 'QT' for nearly a month). i usually do a 50%, then another 50% with stirring the rocks and sucking up any large poos and uneaten pellets, then a 100% water change. she doesn't have a heater, but it's been horridly hot(to me. Xd not used to temps in the 90's so early in the year). shoot, she was doing perfectly fine, with little to no clamping, and being very active, until about a week ago, soon after the storms were finally over. Dx could that be the cause? was she so stressed from day after day after day of storms? or, could it be the Marimo? should i take them out, and add AQ salt? i'm super worried about my girlie. ;^;
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:31 AM   #2 
Sakura8

Okay, so she's still clamped after a big water change? Have you checked the water parameters? Hmm.

Offhand, I would say she needs a heater. Bettas are tropical fish and they need water that's 78-80 degrees farenheit or even a little warmer. A betta in room temperature water is stressed and may clamp up because it's taking all their energy to just stay alive in what, for them, is really cold water. Even though it's hot for you it's not hot enough for her, especially because she's inside a house.

Also, do you use a water conditioner like API Stress Coat or Seachem Prime? If you don't, then the chlorine and chloramines in the water are stressing her out because those chemicals are toxic to fish. Her spazzing could be a sign she's trying to "escape" bad water.

I doubt the marimo ball has anything to do with it since you had it in QT for so long. Hmm. Even if you do use a water conditioner, I might suggest using API Stress Coat. Should be about 5ml, just pour in and stir. But probably the most beneficial thing is to get her a heater.

Hope this helps. :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:49 AM   #3 
Luimeril

she's been fine without one. i keep my room as warm as i can stand it(which is very warm. x-X), and none of my other fish are acting this way. just Caroline. she's been fine until about a week ago, when i started the bigger water changes. but, i'll see if i can get my brother's spare heater. it won't warm it to nearly that, but it'll have to do until i can get a better one. x-X it's just a Tetra preset heater, nothing special or fancy.

we're on well water, and i've always been told that i didn't need those because of it. she just spazzed that one time. since she's on my computer desk, i see her all the time, which is why i'm upset about her being clamped for so long. D:

another thing, i don't like using chemicals in my tanks. >.>; odd, i know. but, since i've been told i don't need them because of being on well water, i've gotten rather used to NOT using them, and still having pretty healthy fish. i think... Gackt and Hyde's poisonings are the most un-preventable thing that's happened to any of my fish. other deaths were either injuries i didn't catch on time(Dante), Freya's Mystery Death, and Weiss' Mystery Illness. and walmart neglect(Remy).
Old 05-25-2011, 04:01 AM   #4 
Sakura8

Hmm. I can't speak one way or another about well water having chlorine etc since we've got city water here and I know it's chock full of chlorine and chloramines (can taste it, that's why I use a water filter for drinking water). Stress Coat, though, isn't so much a chemical as a detoxifier to get rid of chemicals and unwanted minerals. The aloe vera in Stress Coat helps replenish a fish's slime coat, which they need to stay healthy. Without a good slime coat, they are stressed and more prone to illness. Keep it in mind if you ever change your mind about adding things.

Haha, if you got a heater to keep the water warm, YOU wouldn't have to suffer and sweat so much. Do you use a thermometer to check the water temps so you can say without a doubt the water is warm enough for Caroline? A finger test isn't always accurate. A cold finger will make water feel warmer than it really is and vice versa.

I sure hope Caroline is just throwing a big tantrum or something and not sick. Hopefully the heater will help. If you don't feel like adding chemicals, consider using aquarium salt or, in a pinch, plain old epsom salts.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:13 AM   #5 
Luimeril

i do use aquarium salt. it's about all i have that i'll use. i do have ick meds, and parasite meds, though. >.>; hate them. other than the pretty blue they turn the water*easily amused*. i'll see about picking up some stress coat, though.

i do wish i had some Indian Almond Leaves. those always helped out my bettas, but thanks to Dante and his tail biting, and Cup and his ripping, i'm all out.

i don't mind suffering a little, if it makes my fish happy. being extra warm isn't gonna hurt me. maybe i'll sweat some of the extra weight off! LOL jk i'll have to get his spare thermometer while i'm at it. he stepped on mine. x-X

i hope she is, too! it's upsetting to see her so upset. D: she's usually so bright, alert, and happy. now, she's just moping about in the corner of her tank. since she's a Cambodian, and cream-colored in body, i can't tell if she's stressed by looking at her color. :/ it's the way she's acting, that tips me off.

Edit: i hate that the : x face makes and angry smiley on every forum i'm a part of! lol
Old 05-25-2011, 10:23 AM   #6 
Sakura8

I read on another post that someone was using rooibos tea to treat his betta. And someone on another forum used decaffeinated green tea. You might want to see if these things will work instead of the Indian Almond Leaves. By the way, where do you get those?

If she's Cambodian, then stress bars should show up pretty well. If they aren't there, I wonder if she really is throwing a tantrum.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:42 AM   #7 
jeanclaudeasher

I know that my bettas dont need a heater in the summer here once it hits the 80s and 90s. I keep a close eye on their water temperature and in the summer without a heater (and the ac on in the house) their water is at 80 degrees. I tried keeping the heaters in set at the lowest temperature possible the first year I had my bettas thinking it would prevent temperature fluctuations and the water got up to almost 90 degrees in the middle of the day!! I quickly unplugged the heater and took it out. Now I take my heaters out when the weather hits the 80s and 90s. I do need the heaters in the winter though.
jeanclaudeasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:43 AM   #8 
Wyvern

Sakura8 - that was me with the rooibos :D I wasnt sure if you do get it in America or not. Decaffeinated tea's will work as well as long as you make sure its decaffeinated as well not flavoured teas like mint or something.
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:56 AM   #9 
BETTACHKALOVE

I was wondering if Aquarium salt treatments will help her. Oldfishlady who on the forum helping all the time she is naturalist and knowledgeable. She treats bacterial and fungal infection with aquarium salt. But it has to be proper dosage.
1tsp/gall with 100% water changes every day. U can pre mix salt in 1 gall for right dose. See if it will help her. Salt treatments can't damage the fish. It just has to be no longer then 10 days.

Salt treatments can be 1tsp-3tsp/gall depend on the symptoms. So don't worry 1 tsp she will tolerate it very well.

BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:23 AM   #10 
Sakura8

Ah, hi Wyvern. :) Yeah, rooibos is just now starting to get popular over here in the States but it sure took a while. Has it helped your betta? And how do you use it, like steep it and pour it in or put the leaves in directly?