Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-25-2011, 10:31 AM   #11 
DarkMoon17

I can't tell from your post exactly, but you shouldn't add aquarium salt long term. Doing so allows them to build up a resistance to its effects so it won't work when you need it to...

I've lived on well water as well. My house had high levels of metals in the water so even though I didn't need dechlorinator, I did need Stress Coat to neutralize all the heavy metals which are bad for fish. You should consider adding Stress Coat to help reduce all the heavy metals that are in well water.

It is also possible that she is just reacting to the storms. Most animals, including people, get stressed out or depressed as a result of storms. If the storms in your area were especially bad then it is possible that your well water's chemistry has changed a bit (addition of lots of rain water mixing with other runoffs) which could be stressing her.

Remember that water is always a few degrees colder than the temperature of your house. For instance, if you keep your house at 75* then the water is probably only 70-72*...

Other than being clamped, does she have any other symptoms? There might be something else going on.

Sakura8- you can't see stress lines on light bodied fish... it's impossible since they are lacking black pigment which is what "makes" stress lines and breeding bars...
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:52 AM   #12 
Wyvern

Sakura8 - I just floated the bag in the water overnight. Go look in the rooibos thread - Im uploading a pic of what my water looks like now. Amazingly enough I can see the white edges now that they didnt have this morning. So they are definitely getting better! And my boys love the water - I wont keep it like that for ever tho, it makes it harder to see my maroon boy when he is hiding!
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:01 AM   #13 
Sakura8

DarkMoon - Really? Wow, I didn't know that (obviously). I just assumed that since they were light, dark colors like stress lines would show up. Looks like I've gotta brush up on fish genetics. Thanks, I learned something new.

Wyvern - Okay, I'll check out the rooibos thread. White edges are good, it means new growth.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:16 PM   #14 
DarkMoon17

Sakura-Don't worry about it, a number of people don't make that connection ;)
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:30 PM   #15 
Luimeril

i've never seen stress bars on Caroline. ever. .___o even when she was in sight of another betta, no stress bars. she just clamps up.

no other symptoms at all. just, inactive and clamped. she still eats like a piggy, flares at her reflection(it takes her a while. she's so sweet, she'd rather stare at the other betta), and wiggles at me.

i don't use salts long-term. :d usually, only when someone has a fin rip or bites their tail, and then it's just for a few days. a week at the most. long enough to make sure they start healing without getting an infection.

well, if it was the storms, she should be fine by now. we haven't had a drop of rain for a week(Yahoo! Weather lies. it's not storming now! take that little storm cloud icon off, and put the sun up there, tool bar! Dx).

i was going to try decaf green tea, but it's so expensive, because Food Lion only has one of the fancy brands in decaf. :/
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:07 PM   #16 
Oldfishlady

Do you have native oak trees....use naturally dried and fallen from the tree oak leaves....about 10-12 crushed per gallon of water....that is all I use for my tannin needs......

Have you checked her for velvet with a flash light in a dark room...usually you can see the gold dust on the fins first then the body usually starting at the head

I have well water too that is also really high in metal content and have never had any problems with the fish, inverts or plants....but-when you have lots of rain this can sometimes change the chemistry of the water...usually when a fish is reacting to high metals-they will flash, clamp, hide, become lethargic and sometimes try to get out of the tank....but not always...it depends on the amount and type of metals as well as their sensitivity....it can vary from fish to fish.....so getting something to neutralize it would at least rule that out until the water settles from the excessive rain/runoff...etc......

I would invest in another thermometer so you can at least monitor the water temp...some fish can be more sensitive to temp than others and this can change as they mature IME.......you may or may not need a heater......

You may also want to decrease the percent of the water changes to 25-30% twice a week and not do any 100% since you have a filter for awhile-at least until the ground water settles....another thought comes to mind with rain fall that may or may not change water chemistry and this is pH....by doing smaller percent water changes this will help by not causing an extreme pH change...just a thought to rule-out one more thing......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:30 PM   #17 
Luimeril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Do you have native oak trees....use naturally dried and fallen from the tree oak leaves....about 10-12 crushed per gallon of water....that is all I use for my tannin needs......

Have you checked her for velvet with a flash light in a dark room...usually you can see the gold dust on the fins first then the body usually starting at the head

I have well water too that is also really high in metal content and have never had any problems with the fish, inverts or plants....but-when you have lots of rain this can sometimes change the chemistry of the water...usually when a fish is reacting to high metals-they will flash, clamp, hide, become lethargic and sometimes try to get out of the tank....but not always...it depends on the amount and type of metals as well as their sensitivity....it can vary from fish to fish.....so getting something to neutralize it would at least rule that out until the water settles from the excessive rain/runoff...etc......

I would invest in another thermometer so you can at least monitor the water temp...some fish can be more sensitive to temp than others and this can change as they mature IME.......you may or may not need a heater......

You may also want to decrease the percent of the water changes to 25-30% twice a week and not do any 100% since you have a filter for awhile-at least until the ground water settles....another thought comes to mind with rain fall that may or may not change water chemistry and this is pH....by doing smaller percent water changes this will help by not causing an extreme pH change...just a thought to rule-out one more thing......
thanks. :d i took the filter out, though. cause, there was this brown gunk that formed on the suction cups and the rubber tube. it scared me, because i'd never seen it before, and i'm pretty good about cleaning everything off when i do 100% changes. x-X

she hasn't spazzed at all since that one time, while i was typing up this thread. she's got some goldish metallic on her fins, so looking for velvet may be tricky.

i don't think we have any oak trees. i wouldn't trust them, anyways. our landlord goes crazy with 'home-made' bug and weed killers, and god knows what he sprays about. :/

Dx this really upsets me, though. first, Chappy acts like this. now Caroline. :'( neither spazz, but both clamp and don't move much. my poor girls. Dx
Old 05-25-2011, 07:23 PM   #18 
Sakura8

Hmm. Seriously, it's starting to sound more and more like metals poisoning. I know you don't like putting things in the water, but putting in a water conditioner will be far less harmful than leaving those hard metals in the water. Think of it as the lesser evil of the two. ;) As an added benefit, most water conditioners have natural ingredients like aloe vera to help with the slime coat.

The brown gunk is, sadly, natural. It's just an accumulation of all the stuff the filter pulls out of the water. It's disgusting, isn't it? Mine is mostly cat hair - can't keep the fur out of the water no matter how hard I try.

Is Caroline interested in food? If you can get her to eat, that would be good.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:24 PM   #19 
Luimeril

she's still VERY interested in food. i'll have to get a bottle of conditioner. the one i HAD, expired and smelled gross. Dx that Prime stuff works just as good, right? i have a big bottle of that, that we use for the 10 gallon.

eewwwwww....... Dx i don't like that brown gunk. it feels gross, and is hard to get off. bleh. Dx
Old 05-25-2011, 10:31 PM   #20 
Sakura8

Yeah, Prime works great. And it's good that she's interested in food. I'd be REALLY worried if she wasn't hungry.

I try not to think about what I'm touching when I remove that brown gunk. If it totally grosses you out, maybe try removing it with a toothpick or a chopstick or a pencil, even just a stick from outdoors . . . blecch. :P