Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-25-2011, 11:38 PM   #21 
Luimeril

i wipe it off with hot water, and a paper towel. that's how i know it's brown! Dx eewwww.

okies. i'll do another water change, either tonight or tomorrow, and add a little Prime. gotta measure out how much, though. :/ it says a cap-full for a 10 gallon for the first treatment, then a half a cap-full after that. Dx so confusing!
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 03:21 AM   #22 
Ajones108

Prime is 1 capful for 50 gallons. o_o Don't overdose your water!

"Use 1 capful (5 ml) for each 50 gallons of new water. For smaller doses, please note each cap thread is approximately 1 ml. This dose removes approximately 0.6 mg/L ammonia, 3 mg/L chloramine, or 4 mg/L chlorine."

A general rule for Prime is 2 drops per gallon. I recommend one of those infant or medicine syringes that go up to 10ml and have a bunch of little "tick" marks in between. They are easy to get just a few drops out of.
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 06:09 PM   #23 
Luimeril

x: i don't have prime. i found my bottle, and it's Stability. x-X bleh. i changed Caroline and Lulu's water, and Caroline's doing what she always does after water changes, which is clamp up and 'pout'. so, tomorrow i'll know if she's okay. Lulu, is fine. i gotta hurry and change Chappy's, though. my poor baby isn't looking too hot. ;^; i think she has ick, but i'm not 100% on that. luckily, i have some Jungle Parasite tablets, so i'm gonna chop one up and plop it in her tank for the night, see if that helps any. i feel like a bad betta mommy. ;^;
Old 05-27-2011, 09:10 PM   #24 
Sakura8

Aww no, you're not a bad betta mommy. Were any of your bettas petstore bettas? That might explain their current bout of ill health.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:11 PM   #25 
Luimeril

Caroline was. but, the pet store i buy them from is really good about care, and never sells sick fish. i think they get their bettas from an actual breeder, and not a mass-breeder like some others.

Chappy, on the other hand, came to me from a user over on UB. she bred the parents, who she got from a popular breeder, i think his name is Cool Betta, or something like that. she's my youngest, at a year old on the 4th of July.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:32 PM   #26 
Sakura8

Sounds like your bettas got a good, healthy start in life. That's good. They must just be going through a bad health bout. Your fish may just have a struggling immune system right now. Just like some humans are more susceptible to colds. The best thing you can do is keep taking good care of your bettas.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:20 PM   #27 
Luimeril

Caroline and Chappy are looking better today. Caroline's still very clamped, but is swimming about more, and got so excited when my niece paid her some attention! it was so cute. x: Chappy's not clamped at all, but is still pretty inactive. it makes me happy to see her not hanging at the bottom of the tank, burrowed in a little indent she made in the rocks. instead, she's spending her time in some floating plastic plants i set in her tank. she seemed to enjoy having them there when filling up her tank dislodged them from the rocks, so i figured i'd keep them that way. :d

now. x: the mystery of Cup's fat belly. no food for him today. silly boy. <3 well. it'd be silly man, now. he's over 2 years old!
Old 05-28-2011, 08:57 PM   #28 
Sakura8

I'm so glad to hear that Caroline and Chappy are doing better. As for Cup, since he's two years old, maybe he's getting that middle-aged spread?
Old 05-29-2011, 12:50 AM   #29 
Luimeril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
I'm so glad to hear that Caroline and Chappy are doing better. As for Cup, since he's two years old, maybe he's getting that middle-aged spread?
i'm keeping an eye on Chappy. i see things on her sometimes, but it could just be my eyes playing tricks on me, cause she'll have something on her, then it'll be gone. .____o i dug out my parasite meds, in case i need them, but i'm hoping i won't. cause i hate using them. x:

lol that's what i was joking around with him about. :p calling it his beer belly.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:25 PM   #30 
Sakura8

It's interesting, I just read the description of halfmoon tail bettas on Petco's website and this is part of the description:

"As the name suggests, the Male Halfmoon Betta has a large tail in the shape of a halfmoon. The angle is from 170 to a perfect 180 tail span. This tail variation is one of the most beautiful, yet fragile of the Bettas that has been bred within the past decade or so."

Maybe that explains why our HM bettas are always splitting their fins for no apparent reason?