Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-25-2011, 04:21 AM   #1 
Wyvern

Rooibos tea

Ive done some reading and found out that here in South Africa we have one of the best natural remedies for fish! Rooibos tea is a caffeine free tea full of natural healing properties. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rooibos some info from wikipedia on Rooibos. I dont know if its readily available in the US? I do know you can get it in the UK from various shops like Tesco and Morrisons otherwise just look for a south african shop - they will sell it! Oh and its one of the nicest teas to drink - so much better tasting than green tea :P

Last night I decided to add a bag to my tank for both my boys, to help repair their fins that was either damaged when I got them or from the flaring they did to each other (that has now stopped :D)

All I did was take a tea bag, floated it in the side with my blue boy since he has the most damage. It was so cute to watch, he curled up under the teabag and it seems that he slept there for the whole night. I removed the teabag this morning since my water has now become a nice tea colour.

I found that both boys where more hyper and looked happier. I will see if I can take a pic of Moon's fins for a before shot and one when he is healed. For now the tannins that seeped into the water will stay there for a day or 2 and then I will do a partial water change to remove some of it. I dont want to use activated carbon to remove it in case it takes the tannins out to fast. I want to keep the water like that for at least a few days.
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:19 AM   #2 
Wyvern

\
There you can see the colour of the water my tank went with the tea. Interestingly enough I find both my boys are acting very super friendly since the tea has been added! They keep coming to the front of the tank if we walk by or if i talk to them!
Old 05-25-2011, 11:22 AM   #3 
laughing

If this is really good for them and not harmful over continuous use, I might use it to darken my water....
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:52 AM   #4 
Wyvern

http://www.tropicalaquarium.co.za/sh...hlight=rooibos

That is from a south african forum that I am on where I heard about it. Just google rooibos in aquariums and you will find a few threads.

Rooibos ( /ˈrɔɪbɒs/ roy-bos;[1] Afrikaans for "red bush"; scientific name Aspalathus linearis) is a broom-like member of the legume family of plants growing in South Africa's fynbos.
The generic name comes from the plant Calicotome villosa, aspalathos in Greek. This plant has very similar growth and flowers to the redbush. The specific name linearis comes from the plant's linear growing structure and needle-like leaves.
The plant is used to make a herbal tea called rooibos tea, bush tea (esp. Southern Africa), redbush tea (esp. UK), South African red tea, or red tea. The product has been popular in Southern Africa for generations and is now consumed in many countries.

Rooibos is becoming more popular in Western countries, particularly among health-conscious consumers, due to its high level of antioxidants such as aspalathin[3] and notho***in, its lack of caffeine, and its low tannin levels compared to fully oxidized black tea or unoxidized green tea leaves.[4] Rooibos also contains a number of phenolic compounds, including flavanols, flavones, flavanones, and dihydrochalcones.[5]
Rooibos is purported to assist with nervous tension, allergies and digestive problems.[6]
Traditional medicinal uses of rooibos in South Africa include alleviating infantile colic, allergies, asthma and dermatological problems.[7][8]
[edit]Scientific study
Although human studies of rooibos are scarce in scientific literature, animal studies suggest it has potent antioxidant, immune-modulating and chemopreventive effects. In addition, rooibos tea has not been found to have any adverse effects.[9]
It is often claimed that "Green" rooibos (see above) has a higher antioxidant capacity than fully oxidized rooibos. However, one study, using two different ways of measuring antioxidant activity, found conflicting data, with green rooibos showing more activity under one measure, and less activity using the other. The study also found conflicting data when comparing both forms of rooibos to black, green, and oolong tea, although it consistently found both forms to have less activity than green tea.[10]
In 2010, eleven poison dart frogs were raised at WWT Slimbridge by amphibian keepers in pint glasses of water, topped up with shop-bought Rooibos tea. Rooibos was used because it contains antioxidants with anti-fungal properties. This successfully protected the frogs against infection by chytridiomycosis.[11]
A recent study performed by Japanese scientists also suggests that Rooibos tea is beneficial in the topical treatment of acne. This is due to levels of alpha hydroxy acid, zinc and superoxide dismutase present in the herb.[citation needed]

And from the little googling that i have done i also just found out its a good way to treat a tank with algae.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:11 PM   #5 
BlueHaven

That is really neat!
I might try some...!
:D
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:17 PM   #6 
laughing

Have you heard any effects towards aquatic plants? The tank will be planted and I am dying to use this but would hate for it to kill my plants!
Old 05-25-2011, 12:23 PM   #7 
Wyvern

Nope no effects on plants at all. We actually use it in our garden - we save up the tea bags and then once a month tear them open and throw it on plants and even the lawn! Its made my mums orchid grow and bloom - first time in 5 years since she got it!

Try it, Ive got live plants in my tank and I dont see any thing happening to them.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:31 PM   #8 
laughing

I will see if it is local. It would be easier to obtain compared to indian leaf extract.

Have your fish changed color? Because indian leaf extract tends to change their color and I would love to have a healthy, natural darkening agent that kept his color and health!

By the way, thank you for all the information!
Old 05-25-2011, 12:33 PM   #9 
Littlebittyfish

I love rooibos tea...I was wondering if other types of tea would work for this..
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:40 PM   #10 
laughing

I think the post above is saying they will but don't provide as healthy properties and with this tea the rabbis is much lighter.