Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-25-2011, 12:08 PM   #1 
Littlebittyfish

ID this stem plant:

Got 2 of these stem plants the other day and I cannot find out exactly what they are.....Does anyone know what it is? I would like to know for sure so I know how to care for it properly..(lighting,fertilizer) Thanks!

I will try to get a better photo sometime later...My camera battery went out.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:22 PM   #2 
Twilight Storm

This maybe?
http://www.aquariumplants.com/Ludwig...ta_p/bp019.htm

Possibly?
http://www.aquariumplants.com/Nesaea...is_p/bp038.htm

Honestly cant see the leaves on it in your aquarium good enough to match to the pictures. You can try posting in the main TFK site in the plant section maybe?
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:24 PM   #3 
Wyvern

I wish I could help, but Imageshack is blocked for me :(
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:31 PM   #4 
Littlebittyfish

Better photos...Sorry i forgot about imageshack not working...haha
I actually think it may be some sort of ludwigia because the leaves are lightly pink out of water...If so I will have to move it to my higher lighted tank...

Old 05-25-2011, 05:05 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

It is Ludwigia Natans/Repens...a great stem plant, easy to grow and propagate and usually will keep some of the pink color and gold highlight even with low-mod light.....grows fast...I don't feed mine but only because I have soil based tanks and don't need too.....but a general plant food like Seachem Flourish should be fine for water column feeding.....I pinch the tops and plant as they grow to the top and then they send out side shoots.....I have one tank that is about 95% Ludwigia natans/repens..... and it looks awesome...if I do say so myself...laffs....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:18 PM   #6 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
It is Ludwigia Natans/Repens...a great stem plant, easy to grow and propagate and usually will keep some of the pink color and gold highlight even with low-mod light.....grows fast...I don't feed mine but only because I have soil based tanks and don't need too.....but a general plant food like Seachem Flourish should be fine for water column feeding.....I pinch the tops and plant as they grow to the top and then they send out side shoots.....I have one tank that is about 95% Ludwigia natans/repens..... and it looks awesome...if I do say so myself...laffs....
Thank you. I bet that tank is beautiful!I would have bought more..but there were only 2 of these left...I bought them up...Sort of an unusual plant for my local petstore...Usually they only sell swords and anacharis...and I cant keep anacharis alive for anything...
Old 05-26-2011, 12:44 AM   #7 
PewPewPew

Lemmie know how it fares. Anacharis is hating mine now, too. Soft water and neutral ph? Pfftttt, no thank you, says anacharis.

Its pretty.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:24 AM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebittyfish View Post
Thank you. I bet that tank is beautiful!I would have bought more..but there were only 2 of these left...I bought them up...Sort of an unusual plant for my local petstore...Usually they only sell swords and anacharis...and I cant keep anacharis alive for anything...
You have plenty..........I started with about 10 stems total and within a year I was selling my excess.....I would pinch the tops and replant weekly doubling what I had...on and on.......I just cleaned that tank last night and pulled at least 100 stems to re-plant in a 20gal I had cleaned up and needed replanting...fast grower for me.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote