Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-25-2011, 01:16 PM   #1 
DeadMemories92

Make my bettas hammocks betta safe!

So I've noticed that a member had a very bad run in with a betta hammock. How can I make them betta-safe? I dont want to just completely take the hammocks from them because it's their favorite thing in the tank. They sleep on them at night.
DeadMemories92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:41 PM   #2 
Thunderloon

Its such a small thin wire, no real way to safe it in the long run. I've been stabbed by a couple before. It should be possible to carefully trim the tip of the leaf off or use a very very sharp scalpel to cut a slit then pull it out that way. Or rust it out...

Generally the main trick with them is to not bend them at all.

You CAN get other leaves that can be wedged into the hole on the suction cup, some major craft supply houses carry them for making hand-made synthetic wreaths. Most fake x-mass trees are made with cluster-socket and ball-leaf assemblies. You could even make your own with some kind of stand and hand-cut shapes pushed down onto it.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:54 PM   #3 
Twilight Storm

I have not had any problems with my Betta hammock leaf. The wire is not poking out on mine. I saw the post too where the fish was ripped up by one, but mine seems safe for now at least. I don't go and bend mine a lot, and the fish doesn't seem to bend it at all.... I know that doesn't help you to change out your leaves though... but my leaf seems really well made and the plastic solidly encases the wire underneath.
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:04 PM   #4 
MoePaac

My late betta used his. I took it out, completely dried it, then took aquarium safe silicone and rain it along where the wire was. I think siliconed it into the suction cup to get that part of the wire as well. This way I knew the wire was completely covered because I did it myself.
MoePaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:07 PM   #5 
DeadMemories92

Thanks guys. Will keep all of this in mind!!
DeadMemories92 is offline   Reply With Quote