Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-25-2011, 02:27 PM   #1 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Unhappy Input please... unfortunate loss of F-CT *warning graphic description*

Well, I had the unfortunate experiance of finding one of my girls dead this morning... Tiny Princess, a small F-CT.

She was small - not more than 6 months old would be my guess. I'd had her two months, and she was a chipper little thing, who quite often displayed breeding bars. She showed no sign of illness - no bloating, nothing.

For the last two days, I noticed that where her gravid spot was, a pink-ish projection was evident, about the size of her eye. She was in no pain, and was her usual self.

I had half though about netting her, and trying to gently wipe away whatever it was. I was hoping whatever it was would just fall off on its own.

This morning I found her dead. Below the midline, behind the gills and to her gravid spot was GONE... like her belly had exploded. The contents of the cavity up to the middle line were gone. The rest of the fish was intact.

So... I looking for some help from the more experianced aquarists here. What happened to my poor little CT girl (I know it's only conjecture at this point - and that's fine). Is this a case possible case of being egg-bound? Or is something more sinister afoot?
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:35 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

It could have been a prolapse or a parasite would be my guess

Anything in the tank with her-other fish, shrimp or snail that could have eaten the soft area...they usually go for the gut first and fish decomp really fast..like the second they die..decomp starts....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:50 PM   #3 
Punki

What a horrible thing to have to find! :( Sorry for your loss, i dont know enough to help you out but i hope you get answers :(
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:14 PM   #4 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

OFL,

When you said prolapse, I know exactly what you were talking about. I had a young female guinea pig (Gueena) who suffered from a prolasped uterus, among other severe issues... we had to have her put down, unfortunately.

I was not aware that was possible with betta females... but that was one possibility I had considered, as the tissue was exactly where her gravid spot was.

Punki: Thank you... :)
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote