Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-25-2011, 06:19 PM   #1 
takumi

Exclamation One hour to solve this!! Help :(

I'm in a bit of a time crunch so any help would be awesome! My fish is a large veil tail and has never really had many health issues. But for about 5-6 days now he's had a worsening case of swim bladder problem. He Usually lives in a 2 gallon tank, 50% water changes every 4-5 days, temp has been normal about 78 degrees as has always been. Non ecent trauma or stress. He's been floating horribly on his side for awhile now and I at first chalked it up to overfeeding. I didn't feed him for two days, no change. I ut a tsp of Epsom salt in his latest water change (24 hrs ago) no change. I just got home from work and am leaving on a trip for 4 days in an hour and I'm scared to leave him. There's no one I trust enough to try and feed him very little or watch over him so I'm unsure of the step to take next. I have him now in a small container resting by his tank, he ate a tiny chunk of unpeeled pea 15 mins ago but couldn't catch any more as they sunk too quickly and his is in able to swim downwards without struggle. Should I leave him in the smaller o tank or return him to his original home? Should I leave a 5 day Betta feeder with him or leave him for the next four days without food? He has also been very unusually lethargic. Help is much appreciated!!!
takumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:24 PM   #2 
Like You

Are you driving to your location?
If you are driving, why don't you take him with you?
Like You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:25 PM   #3 
Ethan

Well besides the driving stuff this may help.................with his case of sbd.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....ighlight=ethan
Ethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:37 PM   #4 
takumi

It's very cold where I'm going and I'm worried it would make him worse. Last time I took my bettas on a trip in cold weather I lost two :( I'm thinking the best is to return him to his original tank and allow him to fast. I did read the article posted, and it clarified some things I did not know but not what I should do in the given situation besides fasting.
takumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:43 PM   #5 
JKfish

well, I'm sort of assumming you have a heater if it's at 78*.... the cold shouldn't be an issue.

Try doing a 100% water change (dose with salt accordingly), and hope he's alright. Chances are when you come back he'll be alright.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote