Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-25-2011, 05:53 PM   #1 
laughing

Product Review Thread!

I know we all want to purchase items bit are unsure of their quality, defaults, reputations, and especially if they really work! So I thought a main thread would be extremely helpful. From heaters to food we will have opinions!

I will start! I am getting live plants for my 10 gallon. Is Kent Marine Pro-Plant for freshwater a good water nutrient additive?

Thanks all!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:36 PM   #2 
nowzem

I've only heard SeaChem Flourish recommended, so I can't say about the Kent kind...
nowzem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:07 AM   #3 
Wyvern

I also only know the Seachem Flourish and excel ones as well as TetraPlantamin which Ive used. I want to change to seachem tho since Im in love with their other products such as the stability and prime.
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:51 AM   #4 
Arashi Takamine

Anyone's opinions on the Marineland 10 watt heaters? Nutzo after explaining exactly what it was I wanted handed it to me and in despiration I bought it.

Didn't know the next day they had went on recall.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:12 AM   #5 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughing View Post
I know we all want to purchase items bit are unsure of their quality, defaults, reputations, and especially if they really work! So I thought a main thread would be extremely helpful. From heaters to food we will have opinions!

I will start! I am getting live plants for my 10 gallon. Is Kent Marine Pro-Plant for freshwater a good water nutrient additive?

Thanks all!
It should be fine...I use Nutrafin plant gro to dose the water column. It works pretty well. I got it because my local store didn't have kent or searchem products.
http://www.petco.com/product/13587/N...Nutrients.aspx
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:51 AM   #6 
BeccaBoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arashi Takamine View Post
Anyone's opinions on the Marineland 10 watt heaters? Nutzo after explaining exactly what it was I wanted handed it to me and in despiration I bought it.

Didn't know the next day they had went on recall.
If you mean this heater: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3792732

I don't recommend it. I bought one for my 2.5 gallon Mini-Bow and even though it said it was preset to 78*, my poor fishie's water went all the way up to 86*. I would unplug it and let the water cool back down to the 78-80* range but when I plugged it back in, the temp would start rising way too high again.

Needless to say I returned it and bought one with a thermostat. Every time I see those heaters at my LPS there's always at least one that looks like it's been returned.
BeccaBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:10 PM   #7 
laughing

I will look up SeaChem in comparison. ^^

Does anybody use different lightbulbs in their hoods for growing plants? I just got my plants and want to upgrade the wattage from the "come with" bulbs but don't know what to buy! D: I need only about 25 watts, though.

@Arashi- Marinelands heaters have been going nuts-o lately I have been hearing... I posted a thread about "best cheap heaters" or something, there were a LOT of great suggestions within that thread about brands and such!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:30 PM   #8 
Arashi Takamine

That's odd though that the 10 watt was making the temp go over the temp it should be...I use them in my tanks and it's never went above 81 (which my betta's adore) I don't think I can return them either...Dangit. It's just they're so expensive and I know some adjustable ones can also go nuts.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:17 PM   #9 
BeccaBoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arashi Takamine View Post
That's odd though that the 10 watt was making the temp go over the temp it should be...I use them in my tanks and it's never went above 81 (which my betta's adore) I don't think I can return them either...Dangit. It's just they're so expensive and I know some adjustable ones can also go nuts.
I thought the same thing. I even turned off the light on my tank to make sure the light wasn't causing part of the problem and it wasn't, the temp just kept rising. I've had a 25w adjustable heater in the same tank for 8 months now and it's kept the temp at a steady 80*. It's a Top Fin brand heater from Petsmart and it cost me $17 at the time. I don't know about other people, but it has worked just fine for me.
BeccaBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:52 PM   #10 
PitGurl

I have a marineland 10 watt and it works perfect. My tank is always between 78-80 degrees. I think all heaters can be a bit iffy sometimes. I just check the tank temps a couple times a day to make sure nothing has gone wacky on me.
PitGurl is offline   Reply With Quote