Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-25-2011, 06:56 PM   #1 
Kytkattin

Unhappy Please tell me it is not velvet!

It is not sparkly gold or anything, but the scales on his head seem to be disappearing or getting darker and going down his body. He is eating, flaring, and otherwise acting perfectly normal.

Housing
What size is your tank? 2 Gallons
What temperature is your tank? 78 degress
Does your tank have a filter? Sponge filter
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Air stone in the sponge filter
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Spectrum (crumbly stuff), Aqueon Chiclid pellets (one every other day), freeze dried Hikari bloodworms.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day in the evening.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Every day for now (just set up the tank)
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25%-50% depending on the ammonia test reading.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? PRIME. 1-2 Drops.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: Not tested
Nitrate: Not tested
pH: 6.0 (very acidic, it comes out of the tap that way and I thought it would cause unneeded stress if I changed it.)
Hardness: I would assume that it is very soft because of the PH.
Alkalinity: Not tested

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Seems to be getting darker, starting at his head.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not at all, but I did get him less than a week ago, so I do not know him very well.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Added some salt. I am pretty sure it will be at 2% when I test it later. Only keeping it salted because he is a new fish and I was trying to treat against anything possible.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Nope! He has acted healthy as can be since I got him home.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Probably less than a year, but certainly less than two years.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:58 PM   #2 
Kytkattin

Shoot, forgot pictures!

Old 05-25-2011, 08:38 PM   #3 
DarkMoon17

Has the slight yellow gleam always been there?
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:07 PM   #4 
PewPewPew

You usually cant see velvet with the naked eye, usually you need to turn off the lights and shine a flashlight on the fish to see.

Its a whole-body dusting and usually has lethargy and tightly clamped fins as a symptom.

I dont think it is, dont worry.

Also, dont run the salt course for too long at more than 1tsp/gallon, even as a preventative. If he's good, he's good. :) 3 days max.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:17 PM   #5 
DeadMemories92

I had a female fish who had velvet. She died within 48 hours after showing external signs of velvet as well as symptoms with her behavior. I agree with the above poster. If the fish is acting normal in the next 48 hours, he's probably fine.
DeadMemories92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:49 PM   #6 
Kytkattin

No, the yellow is new too! I was thinking that might be because he has a heater now. When I first got him, for like 1 day he was in a 1 gallon with out a heater, and then for 2 days after that he was in the 1 gallon with the heater (and daily water changes at about 80%). Now he is in 2 gallons. I got him on Saturday. I would not expect his color to change this quickly or change to the color that it is changing, and it is kind of freaking me out!
As long as he keeps acting normal, despite not knowing what is normal for this fish, I guess I just won't worry about it.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:08 PM   #7 
DeadMemories92

Interesting... If he's not darting around and acting nuts he should be fine if it doesn't spread worse. Now if it starts spreading, I'd seek more advice! Keep us updated! I don't know much about bettas (I ask questions on here all the time) but I'm sure someone has dealt with this and I sure have had my dealings with velvet.
DeadMemories92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:08 PM   #8 
PewPewPew

I think he's just showing you how pretty he really is.

If he gets lethargic, wont eat and is clamped, then suspect velvet.

But for now, he seems fine. BUT.

You can always send him to me.... :B He's pretty <3
Old 05-26-2011, 12:04 AM   #9 
Kytkattin

I just found this picture from the day I brought him home. It shows his head, and there was yellow on it then, I just could not see it without the camera, and I guess I didn't notice it. It does seem brighter now. I hope I am just freaking out for no reason. I just did the "velvet test" in the dark with a flashlight. There is like one little area that looks gold, but it honestly just looks like a scale. It is not raised or anything.

No, I think I will keep him, but thanks for the offer! lol.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:08 AM   #10 
PewPewPew

D:< .... Fiineeee. <3

Yeah, no worries. He's just gettin' prettier for you.