Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-25-2011, 08:43 PM   #1 
PinkBetta264

Rant

So the age old question in some form or another rises again. I guess it comes down to life, human compasion, the need for doing the right thing, moral or imoral in some eyes. But who's view is right?? Freedom of speech is a wonderful thing, we have blogs, threads etc, for us to find answers, and see opinions of others, wether welcome or not. Tell me why when someone asks for advice or just a simple question, or maybe they are looking just for acknowledgment.. good job, do some people find it compelling to negatively critise the work of others?? Is it right to leave someone plugged into machines for life support, is it right to torture sick people with kemo and radiation only for them to die a painful death?? Everyone has their own thoughts and are entitled to their own, JUST THINK first. Is it right for someone to question the purchase of a lonely betta in a cup, who may never leave that cup alive and bring him home to a fish bowl or whatever with daily fresh water changes and feedings..yeah maybe he wont have a planted 10 gal tank of his own, but the quality of life for that loved little fish in a bowl, seems to me, better than living in a plastic cup of water...Say you??
PinkBetta264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:55 PM   #2 
JKfish

IMO, if a person is going to bring home a betta fish, or any pet at all, he or she had better be prepared to meet the minimum requirements (2.5 gallon tank, kept at a steady heat of 78-80*F, clean water, and good food). There is no excuse for bringing home a betta to mediocre conditions (where its basic necessities still aren't met) while saying something like "Oh, he's better off than in a dirty cup." is rather hypocritical. I mean, it's not that hard to meet a betta's minimum needs.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:08 PM   #3 
PinkBetta264

aahh yes, very well put...( and I love your poem) than maybe we should question the people who breed them too go into plastic cups in hopes that someone will purchase and give them their needed minimum requirements...or maybe not hopes at all, just monitary gain...hmmm chicken or egg?? good night all..work at 4am!
PinkBetta264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:11 PM   #4 
JKfish

Well, IMO good breeders don't/wouldn't/shouldn't sell to LFS with bad conditions or that don't properly educate their costumers. And it is rather hard to keep 100 or so growing bettas in 2.5 gallon tanks each, which is why they are often grown in jars/tubberwares/larger cups.... though obviously with clean warm water and good food. (and thank you :D )
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote