Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-25-2011, 08:55 AM   #1 
Burd

Freakin' Gravel...

So I've got another fish coming from Thailand in the next couple days. I've set up a 5 gallon tank for him once it's cycled and he'll be bunking in a 1.5g till it's ready.

The problem I'm having is I thought he'd look pretty boss against black gravel that I got at Petco. I rinsed it over, tried to make sure there was nothing left on it and still after putting it in my tank this morning the water is cloudy. I've got two filters running in there now (there was a 5g filter over night) to see if that helps but if not... anyone have any ideas how to stop the cloudiness? D:
Burd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:04 AM   #2 
kane chisholme

The answer might be annoying but your better off just giving it time, it might take a few hours, it might take a few days but evantually things will clear up
Posted via Mobile Device
kane chisholme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:07 AM   #3 
Burd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kane chisholme View Post
The answer might be annoying but your better off just giving it time, it might take a few hours, it might take a few days but evantually things will clear up
Posted via Mobile Device
If that's so that's fine then. I'm not terribly worried about the plants in there. Just want to make sure the gravel cloudiness goes away
Old 05-25-2011, 09:20 AM   #4 
Wyvern

Are you sure its gravel cloudiness and not cycle cloudiness? Cos the 5g should be cycling if you have the filters and what not running. You could try Stability from Seachem as well. That will help with the cycling of the tank.
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:33 AM   #5 
SilverMagic

I'm curious, how do you get bettas from Thailand without going there?
SilverMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:44 AM   #6 
Burd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyvern View Post
Are you sure its gravel cloudiness and not cycle cloudiness? Cos the 5g should be cycling if you have the filters and what not running. You could try Stability from Seachem as well. That will help with the cycling of the tank.
I literally -just- set it up last night. That's why I'm pretty sure it's the gravel. I've had the exact same problem before with other colored gravel, too. And I do use Stability. :D I love that stuff. Works like a charm.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:58 AM   #7 
Wyvern

Yea it does! Im lucky the gravel we get doesnt seem to give off a lot of dust. I tend to rinse it in a bucket with a hosepipe outside for a good 20 mins. That has been the best way I get my gravel clean. This is the gravel I used for my betta's
http://www.marltons.co.za/index.php/...nt/article/112
I mixed a bag of black with white. The white ones where the dusty and dirty ones.

But once its clean I havent had any problems with it.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:43 PM   #8 
Burd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyvern View Post
Yea it does! Im lucky the gravel we get doesnt seem to give off a lot of dust. I tend to rinse it in a bucket with a hosepipe outside for a good 20 mins. That has been the best way I get my gravel clean. This is the gravel I used for my betta's
http://www.marltons.co.za/index.php/...nt/article/112
I mixed a bag of black with white. The white ones where the dusty and dirty ones.

But once its clean I havent had any problems with it.
Unfortunately, I don't have the ability to do that. We live in an apartment so I have no hose to use. Would if I could. I used the shower instead :P
Old 05-25-2011, 01:25 PM   #9 
Wyvern

Do you have a tub? Do it in there? Just stick the bucket under the tap and open it wide :D That is how my brother does it.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:27 PM   #10 
orphansparrow

hm, how strange! i use the black gravel too, and i have never had it turn the water cloudy after a good rinse.

what i do is take a kitchen strainer, pour the gravel in it, and run the whole thing under the bathtub faucet.

good luck. ^_^
orphansparrow is offline   Reply With Quote