Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-25-2011, 08:13 PM   #1 
TaraJets

Unhappy This made me feel really bad!

I was on yahoo answers the other day. (usually I come on here to ask my betta q's but I just wanted a quick answer... huuuuuge mistake) I innocently asked a question. I wanted to know if I could get a snail for my 2.5. I already knewthe answer would most likely be no but I asked anyways because maybe someone knows of a micro breed of snail? lol. Anyways as I guessed, all snails are too big and I'll just have to stick to my algae scrubber and moss ball to help me with algae outbreak. I also got this answer:

"Shrimp, and no bettas cannot live in that small of a tank. Just because your brother got the one betta in a million that managed to not die despite all the ******* abuse it went through does not mean its right. If you want to be another moron who comes here just to say "derp my brothers betta lived whoe 2 yrs in .42423532523532532 gal bowl, herp" then kindly just stfu and gtfo, because you don't come her for an answer, you come here to be a smart alec. I am just sick and tired of imbeciles coming here day after day just to say. Get a pet rock b/c thats something you won't kill."

It made me feel so bad! That last line really got to me... It made me feel like some kind of monster that kills all her pets. I really thought a 2.5 was okay for a betta! Most people here say it is and you guys are all experts. I don't know if I will ever use yahoo answers to ask a question again. Also, my brother's betta didn't live 2 yrs, he lived 4! He changed the water every day and it was 1 gallon not .41241 or whatever. Arthur (the betta) had a bubble nest all the time too. Ughhh, do you think this guy is right?
TaraJets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:29 PM   #2 
nowzem

No, he/she (I made a funny) is a JERK. They should be mildly shocked with electricity the next time they do a water change for being so rude!

So..the bigger the better but that size is fine as long as you keep up with water changes. Some people!!

That person should marry a rock because they obviously don't have any people skills. <3 Don't feel bad. :) Yahoo answers always gives bad advice btw teehee.

There are micro snails...but usually they are a pest and my bettas wont rest until they've eaten every one l>->)
nowzem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:35 PM   #3 
Littlebittyfish

Everyone thinks they're an expert on yahoo answers...It seems to me they're the only one being a "smart alec"
...I think 2.5 is perfectly fine for a betta as long as you keep up with water changes.Not so sure I would add a snail though...They like to poop alot...They will poo more than they will help with algae...

Depending on the snail..some mystery snails/apple snails can get to be the size of an apple.
Nerite snails stay pretty small..If you do decide to get a snail I would go with a nerite snail because they don't get very big....
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:40 PM   #4 
carzz

Douche bag....

Think of it this way, anything you put a betta in is a UPGRADE from their cup....
Thus being, a gal. fish bowl is sufficient. But, most people prefer to give their betta's a little something more. So a 2.5 Gal. tank is FABULOUS!!!!
Just because we don't all have room for a ten gal or 20 gal, divided, doesn't mean we are bad fish people... We still rescued them, didn't we?
carzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:01 PM   #5 
JKfish

Honestly 2.5 is a perfectly fine size, all it needs is to be heated and well cleaned (which I know you probably do seeing as you're on this forum :D). That person was rude... I say you give us his or her screen name so we can all go on a trolling/hat'n/flaming spree and have at him/her like an angry mob armed with pitchforks and torches XD
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:50 PM   #6 
tsoto80

That person was animbecile. Like the others said pay him no mind. I really dont understand the need for the abundant amount of swear words I have seen on the internet lately. Is it some kind of new trend or something? Anyways you are doing good. As far as the snail issue goes sometimes petstores have an outbreak of baby snails and will give them away free. Although it would be more of a tasty snack than a pet lol
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:52 PM   #7 
Silverfang

A 2.5 is fine! mine is only slightly bigger than that, and with proper water changes and a heater, he's doing good. Yea, that person is just being an internet troll/jerk.

Edit: and one of those small snails? nerites? would be a great play toy/snack for your betta. Think about it, the decision of just chasing it around or a live meal!
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:34 PM   #8 
Luimeril

2.5 is perfectly fine for one betta. that person's being a total jerk for no reason. he/she didn't even answer your question, it sounds like! most of mine are in at least 2 gallons, with only Lulu and Caroline in anything smaller(Lulu because she hates bigger tanks than a 1 gallon, and Caroline because she seems to enjoy the 1.5 more than anything else).
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:26 AM   #9 
TaraJets

thanks guys!! I don't think I'll be getting a snail because Herbie gets live bloodworms every now and then. He doesn't really need more live food. It sounds like the snail will be pooping more than helping me out. Once again, thanks for not freaking out on me.

@JKfish haha! sounds like a hilarious idea! I don't really want to give his user name away, though, because he clearly has some anger management issues and I don't want him to get really worked up. He may release his wrath on all of you guys. XD
TaraJets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:50 AM   #10 
Burd

Don't worry. I found your post and the guy who said that and reported him for it. That's clear violation of the TOS of yahoo answers. Ranting, insulting members, cursing... You could report him, too.
Burd is offline   Reply With Quote