Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-26-2011, 01:07 AM   #1 
Alchaeon

Rescued Two Sad Petsmart Bettas - Help!

I'm new here, but I'm glad I found this site!

I'm the sort of person who has to look at everything when we go shopping, so we spent about an hour longer than necessary at Petsmart. On our way out, I stopped at the Betta shelf to take a look. A poor little female was just floating there. She looked pathetic, and she was so small. I felt horrible for her, so I bought her and an equally pathetic-looking male the next day.

Frog, the female, looks horrible. Something's wrong with her jaw (or whatever you call it in fish). She can't open it all the way, so I've been crushing her food to make sure she gets enough to eat. Her fins are torn and ratty and she's extremely thin. She's a pale white with black spots, but now that she's settled a bit she's starting to show some really pretty green and blue as well. I hope that, if she makes it, she'll be a fancy little girl.

Toad's my boy. I've never seen a fish so thin. He's got a voracious appetite and I'm scared I'll overfeed him. He gets two pellets three times a day and he absolutely wolfs them down. He's mostly white, but he's got some dull red covering parts of his body. It looks more like blood under his scales, but I can't be sure. Overall he's more active and in better health than Frog, but I'm worried about them.

I've got them in a divided ten gallon tank right now, with a filter and heater as well as several plants. Toad is doing well and adjusted really easily, but I'm worried for Frog. She is very weak and has some difficulty swimming, so I put her on the calmer side of the tank so she didn't have to swim very hard.

Neither have pooped yet despite eating, so I'm not sure if something's wrong. What can I do to help them? They're so sad looking, and I really don't want to lose them.
Attached Images

Alchaeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:14 AM   #2 
Luimeril

oohhhh, that first baby! <3 so tiny, and sad-looking!

if you're worried about them not pooing, fast them for a few days. it should help out alot. i, personally, would take out the gravel, until you're sure they're doing good. but, that's just me.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:19 AM   #3 
carzz

I would feed them a pea.
carzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:39 AM   #4 
Alchaeon

Luimeril - They're so thin, though. Would it hurt them not to eat for a couple of days? I need to get a top-view of them; they look like twigs. I've only had them for two days now and I'm pretty sure no one fed them while they were at the store.

Carzz - Would a pea help?
Alchaeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:45 AM   #5 
PewPewPew

Do Not use the pea method. It is dangerous.
If they aren't bloated, then give only one pellet a day for a bit or fast for two days.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:44 AM   #6 
Burd

Your boy especially doesn't look thin. He definitely has a healthy little belly on him that shows you've fed him. :)

And are you -sure- they haven't pooped? Surely you can't watch them all the time and betta poops can be hard to find, especially in naturally colored gravel. I hardly see any in my girl's tank and I've got 5 of them in there. I've never caught my males popping a squat.

As for the pea method, I'm going to err on the side of caution with PewPewPew. However, it's suggested a LOT on yahoo answers as a method for unblocking blocked up fishies. I don't think you've got that problem. Your boy looks like he'll be fine and hopefully your girl just needs some TLC.

I wish you luck with both of them!
Burd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:58 AM   #7 
newarkhiphop

does the tank have a heater? very important
newarkhiphop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:36 AM   #8 
Tisia

frozen daphnia is supposed to be a good laxative. not all stores seem to have it though, so may be a bit difficult to find. frozen and live foods in general would definitely be good for plumping them up
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:34 AM   #9 
Ethan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisia View Post
frozen daphnia is supposed to be a good laxative. not all stores seem to have it though, so may be a bit difficult to find. frozen and live foods in general would definitely be good for plumping them up
+1

Live daphia will help out a lot if it's availible to you!
Ethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:51 AM   #10 
Echo

ohhh your petsmart is my petco.. simply a pathetic business. the last time i was in petco (they are the only place that sells the heaters i prefer), i saw that out of the 20 or so bettas 5 were floating in brown water. dead. they have the worst record of dead loss in their fish habitats that i have ever seen, and it makes me cringe just to drive by the place. the manager at my petsmart can usually be found smashing the invasive snails in their tanks or cleaning out the gravel himself (super helpful guy). he helped me bring King Louie (my first betta) back from ammonia poisoning after i rescued him from the bilge-water of a tank he was living in.
it seems to depend on the color of pellets you feed your fins, but the poo sometimes resembles a small curly-q in the gravel. mine poo a reddish brown from the mix of frozen bloodworm treat and pellet (1 pellet twice a day and 1 bloodworm once a day). i used to over-indulge because they're such monsterous beggars, until i saw Louie with a *ahem* dingleberry and Elvis with a growing gut. now i ignore their antics and stick to a strict feeding plan.. for the most part..
Echo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
emaciated sick thin help