Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-26-2011, 03:22 PM   #11 
FuulieQ

You got him very recently, so it could be that he's just stressed. It sounds like you're doing everything you can, so don't be too worried. Just get him a tank and a heater as soon as you can. :) I don't see anything visibly wrong with him in the photo. Actually, he's quite a pretty boy.

Sometimes bettas nosedive into the gravel if they're feeling lazy. I've seen Robert do it and he's healthy as an ox as far as I know. See if he perks up once he has more space. If he continues to make you nervous even a few days after that, that would be when I'd really start to worry. Welcome to the forum! :D
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:06 PM   #12 
Genesis

@iheartmybettas: He is right on my desk by my laptop, so I can easily keep an eye on him most of the time. c:
Thank you!

@FuulieQ: Aha, do they? I thought maybe his fins were bothering him, or he had trouble swimming. I think he was stressed out for awhile, because up until today, he was really inactive, and just kind of sat there. He wouldn't even eat. Woke up this morning, saw his bubble nest, gave him 2 pellets and a couple of flakes, and he gobbled them up.
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:21 AM   #13 
orphansparrow

oh, he's so gorgeous! you will get that fin rot healed up in no time with sparkling clean water. =)

after you get him a new tank, you could also get him some aquarium salt to help heal the fin rot. but that's a thought for another day.

in the meantime, he's a beautiful fish, and that's too bad about your parents being unsupportive. but you have all of us here to root you on. ;)

p.s. i don't know if you are able to get things from online, but a medium kritter keeper (3 gallons i think) is only $6 on amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Lee-Lees-Mediu.../dp/B002GC8JC6

also, maybe your friend could drive you to walmart instead of the pet store. they are generally quite a bit cheaper for fish stuff.

Last edited by orphansparrow; 05-27-2011 at 01:23 AM.
orphansparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:26 AM   #14 
carzz

I'm glad he made a bubblenest. It's always fun. But keep yor eyes on him. Leroy built small bubblenests up until he passed last week, due to drospy and popeye.
carzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:36 AM   #15 
lovebug009

if there is a thrift store near you you may find a tank for cheep, just be sure to clean it well, also if there are any garage sales near you, you may luck out that way:)
lovebug009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 03:13 AM   #16 
Genesis

I cleaned the new tank out very thoroughly, cleaned off a bunch of old gravel, and conditioned the new water. Genesis is already in it, and he seemed pretty excited to have so much more space.
I have no idea how much water this tank is. I plan to snag our next empty water jug and use it during his next cleaning.
Ta-da! Even added his little shiny gemrocks that he came with, to make him feel a bit more at home. Next step will be finding the poor guy some plants and a terra cotta pot or coffee mug.

Edit: The bit that looks like.. goopy... stuff and scratches on the tank is all on the outside, by the way. haha

@orphansparrow: I'm starting to think he actually doesn't have finrot. When I got him, his fins were black on the ends, and weren't ragged/torn at all. Same for the next day. And then on Tuesday, they were torn. Wednesday and today, there's been no visible change. I think he might be biting. :c
As for Wal-Mart... well, let's just say where I live, if you want anything fish-related, your only choice is really a store specializing in fish, or a pet store. Our Wal-Marts don't even carry fish tanks or tank decorations. D:

@carzz: I've been watching him pretty closely. The only thing it looks like he may have is finrot, luckily.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:12 PM   #17 
Genesis

We got him a plastic plant (checked, and it didn't snag on nylon or anything) today, and he seems awfully protective of it. I had my hand near the tank by the plant, and he went crazy flaring at me.

Genesis either hates ice cream, or really, really loves it. Ended up moving it because he wouldn't stop flaring. I don't know if it was the bowl, or the fact that something was near his tank. xD

Old 05-27-2011, 02:58 PM   #18 
Sweeda88

He's so cute when he flares! Silly fishy.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 03:26 PM   #19 
Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeda88 View Post
He's so cute when he flares! Silly fishy.
He is! I'm so sad I missed him flaring at my hand, haha.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:26 PM   #20 
orphansparrow

what a cutie! and i like the pearly colored rocks in his tank too. :)
orphansparrow is offline   Reply With Quote