Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-26-2011, 01:29 PM   #1 
Genesis

Should be picking up a tank today~

I may be able to go pick up a 2.5gal today for my betta, Genesis. c:
Pretty happy, but I have two options within my budget, according to Petsmart's website. A $14 rectangular tank that is just the tank, or a $20 tank that comes with an airstone, light, and filter.

If I buy the $20 tank, I'll have no spending money for plants or anything. It will be my entire budget. So I should get the $14 tank, yeah?

Like I said I'll still have $5-6 left to spend if I get the $14 tank. I have gravel from an old aquarium I can use, and I've got 3 stalks of bamboo. To treat the gravel, I should let it sit in some warm water, right? Is bamboo alright for betta tanks? They're still small, but if I can use them, that'd be great.

I think we have terra cotta pots, so I'm going to look into taking the bottom out of one to add in. Any other suggestions on stuff I could pick up at petsmart with my whole $6? haha
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:10 PM   #2 
PewPewPew

Its hardddd to get lids for a 2.5 gallon. Like, ferociously hard. Theyre very expensive on their own, too.

Honestly, if by light you also mean hood, Id get the $20 one.

You can go to a craft store and buy terra cotta pots for about20 cents and fake silk flowers for about $1-$2. Just make sure theyre unscented and dont have that fake pollen dust on them. Soak for a day or two and youre golden.

Keep in mind there's tax, too! So a $20 tank isnt just $20.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:59 PM   #3 
Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
Its hardddd to get lids for a 2.5 gallon. Like, ferociously hard. Theyre very expensive on their own, too.

Honestly, if by light you also mean hood, Id get the $20 one.

You can go to a craft store and buy terra cotta pots for about20 cents and fake silk flowers for about $1-$2. Just make sure theyre unscented and dont have that fake pollen dust on them. Soak for a day or two and youre golden.

Keep in mind there's tax, too! So a $20 tank isnt just $20.
I actually ended up getting a pretty decent-sized plastic tank for free from my neighbor/friend! Plus, we got the goldfish that was in the tank. So a new fish for our pond, as well as a much larger tank. :)
It is, at the very least, twice the size of his bowl. Not a permanent fix, but definitely better than that little bowl.
I'm going to work on cleaning it up/setting it up tonight, but I've just realized I'm not entirely sure how to clean up a used tank. I'm sure I shouldn't use soap and water, because the soap's no good for the fish.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:07 PM   #4 
PewPewPew

Try White vinegar mixed with water, it cuts the gross stuff and is not as toxic as bleach. rinse really really well still :)

Thats great, now you can keep saving and have even more options! :B
Old 05-26-2011, 07:10 PM   #5 
Genesis

Alright, thank you very much!
Old 05-26-2011, 07:25 PM   #6 
PewPewPew

<3 !