Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-26-2011, 09:21 PM   #1 
Mermaid Fish

How Many?

So, I have a betta in a 10 gallon, and we did the thing in school where you put guppies into one gallon tanks and start an "ecosystem." I think it's cruel because most end up dying. SHe had some left over guppies and snails and plants. The guppies are small and colorless so I thought i'd see if they be okay tank mates. If not, I have other places for them. So I was wondering how many guppies and how many snails in my 10 gal with my betta?
Mermaid Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:34 PM   #2 
JKfish

you could probably have 5-6 guppies and a snail or two. Definately get the plants, they'll give you extra places for the guppies to hide. When introducing them, remove your betta for the first few hours they're in there (rearrage the decor slightly), then float him in a tubberware for about a day. This'll get him used to the guppies, and see them before being able to attack them. This'll also let you see his agression levels, and gauge if the guppies is a good idea.

Talk to your teacher about the cruelty of that, and explain proper fishkeeping to her if possible :( That sounds sad
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:37 PM   #3 
Mermaid Fish

Ok thanks! I'll see how it works out tomorrow. At least I can give some fish a nice home.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:02 PM   #4 
laughing

They pay so much for such a crappy experiment.

For a real ecosystem and balance of nature lesson they should get a large 55 gallon and set it up with all live plants, wood, and different schools of fish of all activity levels and where they swim in the tank as well as shrimp, snails, and other algae eaters.

Then measure water levels daily, and make notes about behavior of fish in their environment and do a report on how all this benefits one another.

At the end of this they can find new homes for everything but keep the tank, stand, lights, wood, etc. That way they don't have to keep spending. Or just keep everything the same for every year to observe...
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:45 PM   #5 
JKfish

Oh, and when you get them, you might want to monitor your water parameters (all of them) about once a day for a while to make sure the bioload can handle the extra waste. You'll probably want to do this for 2 weeks to see if your water changes will keep the water clean . For this set up, I recommend at least 50% a week if your tank is cycled. If it isn't cycled, you might want to look in to doing a fish in cycle.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 03:41 PM   #6 
Mermaid Fish

K thanks, my tank is cycled.