Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-04-2011, 06:26 PM   #1 
AFishTale

Exclamation Not about Bettas, but what do you think?!

I wasn't sure where to put this, so I hope you guys don't mind.

Last week I was at Petco buying some plants when I saw this itty bitty one-eyed fancy goldfish, and I haven't been able to get him off my mind. ): That Petco is okay, but not the best conditions, and I'm debating if I should go and save him. Unlike most of the other tanks, there wasn't any dead fish, and everyone seemed fairly active...Although he's missing an eye, the lil' guy seemed healthy enough. I have an empty 20 gall, but no filter for it. I know goldfish are 'dirty fish', but would it be okay to keep him there temporarily without one? I do have a big vase decortion with airstones and such to help ariate. And I would of course buy a filter as soon as I get the cash, but in the mean time do more frequent water changes and siphon the bottom a lot.

Ugh, I just feel oddly attached. ):
AFishTale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 06:41 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

I wouldn't do it. Without heavily oxygenated water the goldfish will quickly die not to mention if he's fairly happy and healthy where he is it wouldn't be fair to him to take him and put him in a less ideal condition just because you feel attached.

What I would do is either try to find an odd job to do to raise the money quickly or if you want him enough find something you're willing to sell to get him.

Also remember... goldfish are very social fish and most goldfish fanciers do not agree with keeping only one goldie in a tank, even with other tank mates and in a 20 gallon you wouldn't even be able to have tankmates because that's the minimum tank size for a goldfish. A 20 gallon is a nice sized tank for other fish but it's sort of the equivalent to keeping a betta in less than a gallon of water... he can survive in there but will he thrive in there?
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:01 PM   #3 
AFishTale

Yeah, I intened to get one of his little buddies as well. Wouldn't want him to be lonesome. I'll scan over criagslist and see if I can find a cheaper filter...

And on tank size, I think it really just depends on who you're taking to, and the fish size (I've heard anything from 10 galls per fish to 20+). My mom keeps two small goldies in her 20, and they are thriving. But of course, when it starts to crowd I'll upgrade; I'm hoping to build a barrack shelf syestem for a couple 10s, 20 longs and 30ish tanks.

Thanks for the answer, I'm not sure if I'll get him, or if he's even still there. I'm just afriad because of his injury, he'll be prone to sickness caused by dying fish or overcrowding..
Old 06-04-2011, 07:03 PM   #4 
AFishTale

Also for this case, are undergravel filters as productive as power filters? (Again as temporary filtration, and adding a powerfilter to it.)

Last edited by AFishTale; 06-04-2011 at 07:12 PM.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:35 PM   #5 
1fish2fish

As far as I've read (of course this is just from people who've been keeping and/or breeding goldies successfully for years) is fancy goldfish it is a mininum of 20 gallons per fish and common goldfish it is a mininum of 50 gallons per fish. Fancy goldfish can reach up to a foot in size so you'll want to take that into account. They really are a fish you need to be able to put a lot of money into to keep healthy and happy.

There's a beautiful article about goldfish care on another forum I'm on. Unfortunately it's against forum rules to post the link here.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:48 PM   #6 
AFishTale

Alright, thanks for the help. (: I think I'll just wait. I may need the 20 as a growout tank anyway. >.<
Old 06-04-2011, 08:44 PM   #7 
Arashi Takamine

Well I know Luimeril had two commons in an old 29 gallon she had as a kid but she said it was filtered with a filter for a 30 gallon. Maybe get the thirty gallon filter and the little guy and a buddy.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:53 PM   #8 
1fish2fish

Commons need at least 50 gallons per fish. Honestly they should only ever be in ponds IMO. They can get up to 2 feet long in some cases.

Goldfish also need very high filters. For a gold fish tank I'd get an even larger filter than what is needed for the tank.. like a 50 gallon filter for a 20 gallon tank and so on.

I think your doing the right choice. I understand how you feel though. I saw a little baby oscar at petsmart once that didn't look too hot and I really considered taking him home but it wouldn't be right because I know I couldn't give him the conditions he really needs.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:00 PM   #9 
Luimeril

x3 it wasn't a pair of commons. it was just one. x: then again, back then, i didn't know goldfish grew so large, and didn't know they lived so long. Goldy was a fair prize when i was 4, and my mom didn't know much about goldfish, and back then, it was hard to research fish(no internets!). he lived pretty well with a pleco, and was a foot long, or larger, when he died 11 years later. x-x he'd have lived longer, if my dad didn't have the habit of plopping whatever he caught while fishing into the tank. Dx poor Goldy died of parasites, i'm sure of it. :/

if you REALLY want the little goldfish, try posting a wanted ad on Craigslist for a 30 or larger. :d lots of people have huge tanks sitting about, and are willing to part with them for decent prices.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:27 PM   #10 
laughing

Filters for 15 gallons are $10 at WalMart. If it is a 'long' tank put in 2-3. If it is 'tall', get two plus an undergravel filter.

I think if you knew the 20g would be temporary, I would. But if you cannot upgrade to much larger within 6 months, then I say no. It just wouldn't be fair!

Good luck!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote