Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-27-2011, 07:57 AM   #1 
Burd

Weekend Trip Dilemma

My fiance and I are driving down to Maryland this evening to stay the weekend through Monday evening. We're bringing the cats with us so we're leaving the AC off in the apartment all weekend to save some cash. So here's my issue...

It's supposed to be at the least 80 degrees outside all weekend. Our apartment typically stays at 75 or above, usually 5 or so degrees above whatever is outside if we leave the AC off in the spring/summer. So, the temp in the apartment could fluctuate between 80 and 90. I'm planning on unplugging all of the heaters in their tanks and letting them be over the weekend while we're gone... does this sound like an ok plan?

I know of no way to cool the tanks other than to keep the AC on, which... ugh... would be expensive.

I also have live plants in the tanks and they're all in a fairly shady part of the apartment. The lights get awful hot... will they be ok with the lights off? :<

ALSO... last thing, I promise! What brand of weekend feeder would be best to give them? Or do they need one for 4 days?

Thanks whoever can offer some insight. :)
Burd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:06 PM   #2 
russalka

I'm in a similar situation. I changed the water this morning and I'll feed them right before I go and when I get back. The lights are on a timer. If you leave them on all weekend, you might get back to algae. I'd set the AC at 85 to make sure they don't overheat.
russalka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:13 PM   #3 
Burd

Quote:
Originally Posted by russalka View Post
I'm in a similar situation. I changed the water this morning and I'll feed them right before I go and when I get back. The lights are on a timer. If you leave them on all weekend, you might get back to algae. I'd set the AC at 85 to make sure they don't overheat.
Unfortunately we don't have central air. We've got window units, neither of which are near them. They're in the middle of the apartment and the AC units are on either side. X) I don't know what I'm going to do @_@
Burd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:59 PM   #4 
orphansparrow

i don't think you need to worry too much about getting them a feeder. as far as i understand, bettas can survive a long time without food. i'm not sure about the heat though.
orphansparrow is offline   Reply With Quote