Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-24-2011, 01:59 PM   #1 
Diana S

My new 55 gal

Wow, it's been a few days.With all the tornades here in the ozarks.I know the pic is bad the water not clear yet.More plants are coming this week.lol need a heater.But set ups all ready.I'm going adding water from older tank.If that with help cycle it ?? Will it ?? Thanks all ,Be safe !
Diana S
Attached Images

Diana S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:21 PM   #2 
Wyvern

I found I managed to kickstart my tank's cycle by using some of the old water and if you can use some gravel or filter media from the old tank as well. The cycle will take about 4 - 6 weeks for the cycle to complete. I found using Seachem's Prime as water conditioner as well as they product called Stability I could add new fish within a week. And no hassles at all.
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:39 PM   #3 
Diana S

speed up cycle ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyvern View Post
I found I managed to kickstart my tank's cycle by using some of the old water and if you can use some gravel or filter media from the old tank as well. The cycle will take about 4 - 6 weeks for the cycle to complete. I found using Seachem's Prime as water conditioner as well as they product called Stability I could add new fish within a week. And no hassles at all.
4 weeks !! Wow.really ? I can't add fish till then ? Isn't there stuff I can buy to speed up cycle ?
Right now the tank still under consturction. Diana S
Old 05-24-2011, 03:44 PM   #4 
laughing

Actually, many LFS in my area do we sell stuff that kick-starts it... I don't know how it works, but it says it does!

I think you should add in some water from a cycled tank, and use the filter media from the other tank if you have one that matches then replace that one. If not, float your filter media in that tank for a week or so, then put it into the 55 filter with water from the cycled aquarium. That should help! ^^

It really varies, I wouldn't go for 4-6 weeks. It might only take you 2 weeks. Just test regularly and your tank will let you know! Good luck!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:47 PM   #5 
Wyvern

Keep the filters running as your building the tank. Add some finely crushed fishfood.

My brother uses the stability, he adds it in according to the bottle's instructions and an hour later he added his fish. With Stability you just need to add a little of it for 7 days. With your fish in the tank. Since he started adding his fish that way he has had no deaths (which for him is good since he had really bad luck at first with his tank until he found out about stability. All the South African aquarists swear by it.)
http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod...Stability.html
That is the product.
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:04 PM   #6 
SashimiBetta

What kind of fish are you planning to put in your 55g? Female Bettas? :DD:D:D lol
SashimiBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:12 PM   #7 
Diana S

females betta, if they can live with other ...I want some neons. Diana
Old 05-24-2011, 04:14 PM   #8 
carzz

I don't get it...
What does it mean to have a tank Cycle???
carzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:16 PM   #9 
SashimiBetta

You mean GloFish?
I think they are called...
SashimiBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:28 PM   #10 
Diana S

Neon tetras...they'er blue/red.I alway love blacks mollyies too.Sorry if it spelled wrong. Diana S