Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-03-2011, 08:03 AM   #1 
LittleNibbles93

Okay, I HAVE to ask this.

First, let me say I understand and have heard that breeding VTs is a big no-no these days. And I can understand why.

But, I want to see what you all think of this pairing, I won't be breeding until next year when me and my mom are in our own place and not with my aunt. So it'll be next year, which will give me lots of time to research, get everything I need, all that.

If this isn't a good idea...then I'll save up, make a really good excuse to my mom, and buy a nice pair off Aquabid.

This is my female VT, (she's not deformed, she was looking around the rocks, and this is the best photo)
She is COMPLETELY yellow and pale peach, no other colors at all.

And this is my male, who is recovering from a tail-rip (and the recovery is going along great) He's sunrise yellow, peachy-body, and has purpleish markings. He looks like a tropical flower.

Are they breedable? Would I get yelled and fussed at if I did? I want to improve the VT line, not make it worse. I was told, if I want to do that, I would need to find a yellow VT girl.

The male makes good bubble nests, and I had the female next to him while making sure she wasn't sick (I had no other shelf that was safe from the cats), and woah did he make a amazing nest for her. His nests had been small until he saw her, he did everything males do when they like the female. And she responded to him alittle.

Of course, they can't see each other now. He's been moved to the kitchen, and she's been moved into the sorority.

With that said, give me your thoughts, but....please try to be nice about it? :) If its better I shouldn't breed them, just say so, and I'll look for a CT, DT, HM or PK pair.
LittleNibbles93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:24 AM   #2 
nowzem

Nothing wrong with breeding VTs at all. The problem lies with their sale value. They are practically worthless to a pet store (the probably would take them off your hands for free) and you *never* see VTs listed on AquaBid because people don't consider them woth the shipping because they are so common in pet stores. So unless you have a home for 100 VTs, its really not a good idea. Check with your local pet store and see if they would take your fish. Then, go for it if you want!

As far as being a good pair, I really couldn't tell you about VTs. I'm not entirely sure of that myself! :) Hopefully someone else can offer advice in that area :)
nowzem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:27 AM   #3 
kathstew

I don't really know that much about breeding yet, so, take what a say with a grain of sand (or whatever that saying is LOL).
I think they are GORGEOUS! Especially the male, beautiful!
I think one of the main reasons people don't breed VTs is because they are very common. It's difficult to find homes for them because you can find them at really any pet shop. And it may not be worth it to try and improve the VT line when few people will buy them. Example, you go on Aquabid, and there are maybe two VTs for sale at a time.

My main concern here, is that they may be too old to breed a year from now. When you buy a betta from the store, they are usually around 6 months old (so I've heard). I believe a bettas peak breeding age is between 4 months to 1 year. A year from now means they are probably around 1 year and 6 months. I think that may be too old to breed them.

I'm not positive as I've already said, but this is my opinion.
Hopefully someone more experienced will come to give input. Whatever happens, Good Luck!
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:52 AM   #4 
1fish2fish

Very pretty fish. I've been wanting to do a project with VT and if I could find colors like that in my lps I might actually do it.

You're not going to like what I'm about to say but if I was going to work on VT lines I would cull hard, unfortunately I mean by that keeping only the fish that I think could be used to breed with and killing all the rest I could not find homes for. Of course I would try first to find homes for them or a decent pet store (one that actually takes care of their fish) but if that proved futile I'd cull them. That's really the only option you have when you have fish you don't need and can't get rid of.

Luckily (or unluckily depending how you look at it) most first spawns yield a very small number of fry so you probably won't have to worry about that.

I'll second what kathstew said about their ages. You MIGHT be able to get them to spawn in a year (2 y/o fish have spawned before) but they may not spawn or they may have passed on (hopefully not!) by the time your ready to spawn so make sure you think of a back up plan. IMHO I'd wait until your almost ready to spawn before deciding on a pair.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:11 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

They're beautiful fish. The male DOES look like a tropical flower.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:02 PM   #6 
MrVampire181

I have nothing against breeding VTs as long as they go to good homes. The problem is also that there is no show standard to breed for....it's also a big debate over what direction the VT should go in...IMO VTs should have more of a spade shape to their tail...but thats just me. I do like them a lot....I really do xP I have never been into yellows but man those are some nice fish :P
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:16 PM   #7 
LittleNibbles93

Part of me just went "Aw...darn...", but thanks for the advice!!
I'll see what the next year holds....
Old 06-03-2011, 11:21 PM   #8 
Arashi Takamine

I say go for it. Quality VT's are hard to find. People around here are always looking for great fish regardless of tail-type. Remember that betta breeder Abby posted about with that candy-cane colored VT? That was a quality VT!
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:04 AM   #9 
1fish2fish

There's a lot more that goes into quality besides color.

I think you're doing the responsible thing Nibbles. Maybe when you're ready to breed another VT pair will come along that is just as pretty.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:54 AM   #10 
LittleNibbles93

Okay. I've decided on what I'm going to do.

I won't breed Sunkist and Lemonade.
I do have to admit, I can't take them to a pet shop of any sort....There actually aren't any out here, there used to be one close, but it closed about 2 months ago (sadness, I went in once and the fish were in the healthiest conditions EVER)
Where I am, AB would be my best way to get rid of them.....thats just my opinion on where I live. This place is the middle of nowhere.

Thanks for all your help! C: I feel better about all this now (its been eating at me for over a month)