Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-27-2011, 05:20 PM   #1 
paws

Betta Fish

Recently my sister brought back her betta fish that she had been keeping at school for her science project to see how animals act in without human help. He had been kept in a 2 liter bottle with filthy water and hasn't been fed in over 8 months. When he came home I went straight to work and set him up at 10 gallon tank with a heater, filter, decor, etc. He has been very healthy and has even built a bubble nest. Whenever i walk past his tank he always comes to the surface looking for treats. But anyways, my sister has just informed me that she has two other betta fish coming home that she saved from being dumped down the drain. I don't know what to do. I refuse to keep them in anything smaller than a 2.5 gallon tank and w/out a heater. My parents are the issue. They don't really want the space or money spent on fish. I do have a 3 gallon but it's a joke. They tank leaks sometimes, the filter is busted, the light is broken, and it almost impossible to change the water without electrocuting you and your fish. What would you do?

Last edited by paws; 05-27-2011 at 05:23 PM.
paws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:43 PM   #2 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by paws View Post
Recently my sister brought back her betta fish that she had been keeping at school for her science project to see how animals act in without human help. He had been kept in a 2 liter bottle with filthy water and hasn't been fed in over 8 months. When he came home I went straight to work and set him up at 10 gallon tank with a heater, filter, decor, etc. He has been very healthy and has even built a bubble nest. Whenever i walk past his tank he always comes to the surface looking for treats. But anyways, my sister has just informed me that she has two other betta fish coming home that she saved from being dumped down the drain. I don't know what to do. I refuse to keep them in anything smaller than a 2.5 gallon tank and w/out a heater. My parents are the issue. They don't really want the space or money spent on fish. I do have a 3 gallon but it's a joke. They tank leaks sometimes, the filter is busted, the light is broken, and it almost impossible to change the water without electrocuting you and your fish. What would you do?
I would get a few 3 gallon critter keepers...I think they make a nice home for a betta..I have 3 of my fish in critter keepers at the moment.They are only about 11 dollars at petco.I use a desk lamps for the lights.A filter on a 3 gallon isn't 100% needed as long as you keep up with water changes..
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 03:39 AM   #3 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebittyfish View Post
I would get a few 3 gallon critter keepers...I think they make a nice home for a betta..I have 3 of my fish in critter keepers at the moment.They are only about 11 dollars at petco.I use a desk lamps for the lights.A filter on a 3 gallon isn't 100% needed as long as you keep up with water changes..
I also heard you can make tanks out of simple plastic storage containers too.

.................................................. . *The original post hits him like a brick suddenly*

EIGHT MONTHS?!
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 03:53 AM   #4 
Arashi Takamine

Why the hell were they not fed for EIGHT MONTHS?

*cough* Other then that...You could make two dividers in your ten gallon and add the other two once the AQ apoxy dries. I know there's a tutorial down in the next forum for making them. Saves money as they can be made with easy craft materials that are aquarium safe. Good luck with the betta's!
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:04 AM   #5 
paws

Yes they weren't fed for 9 months. It was because my sisters AP Environmental Science class had an experiment to see how organisms react in an environment. It went on from September all the way to May. So they weren't allowed to feed it or change its water, which by the way it lived in a 2 liter bottle.. I was devastated when I heard about it. It really is a true miracle "Harold" survived. Not only did they endure all that they teacher told them just to pour them down the sink after the experiment was over. Luckily my sister stepped in an said she would take them home. Are there any good "kits" or tanks you recommend. I found a 2.5 gallon tank which I was considering.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:26 AM   #6 
Neil D

Well to me, they were taken care of so horribly I would even reccommend those "betta baracks" that you suction cup to the inside of a tank. They will at least be fed,warm and happy(er). Or divide the Ten Gallon.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:39 AM   #7 
Tisia

Quote:
Originally Posted by paws View Post
Yes they weren't fed for 9 months. It was because my sisters AP Environmental Science class had an experiment to see how organisms react in an environment. It went on from September all the way to May. So they weren't allowed to feed it or change its water, which by the way it lived in a 2 liter bottle.. I was devastated when I heard about it. It really is a true miracle "Harold" survived. Not only did they endure all that they teacher told them just to pour them down the sink after the experiment was over. Luckily my sister stepped in an said she would take them home. Are there any good "kits" or tanks you recommend. I found a 2.5 gallon tank which I was considering.
I'm a very non-violent and non-confrontational type of person, but I seriously want to slap that teacher in the face right now >_<
hopefully by the time I have kids that age they'll have gotten rid of that experiment, otherwise my poor child will be getting to see quite the show as I scream at teacher/principal/whoever it takes to get the stupid thing stopped
you'd think an environmental science teacher would realize that putting a fish down the sink could introduce foreign bacteria and parasites to the water >_<
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:45 AM   #8 
fishman12

I think Wal-Mart has a Hawkeye 5 gallon for $27 or something
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:47 AM   #9 
Neil D

Dumbo teachers....Can't believe that educational systems would allow such a horrible thing to happen!
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:03 AM   #10 
paws

I agree! i was so upset when he came home too. My sister brought him home in a water bottle with the top cut off but it was 2/3 clear water and 1/3 the water in 2 liter bottle he was living in. The water was still brown. It was disgusting. It looked like he was swimming in sweet tea. You can only imagine what his water was like in the class room. But this makes me even more motivated to save those other two Betta fish! I will definitely look into to that tank at Wal-Mart. But would a 2.5 gallon be ok? Or would thatg be pushing the limit on the space requirements?