Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-27-2011, 05:39 PM   #1 
BlueHaven

Why are plants dying?

Meh!!!!
>__m
I have no idea what the face is supposed to be, i'm just upset.
lol

I bought Water wisteria and duckweed not long ago from petsmart. They looked great, except the wisteria had brown ends where there was no leaves. I added seachem flourish excel a couple times, but not everyday.
The Temperature is 82 degrees, I had an indian almond leaf in it along with jungle fungus clear.
The water wisteria looks like it's melting, or just dying. The leaves begin to turn brown and they appear see through.
The duckweed is turning white and dying.
My other plants are doing fine.
I have a 10 watt bulb.

Can changing temps quickly and ph changes bother them?
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:44 PM   #2 
BlueHaven

Lol.
It is supposed to say why are my plants dying?!
That was a mistake.
:)
Old 05-27-2011, 09:06 PM   #3 
Thunderloon

You have to re-tip the stems and plant them then leave the lights off.
Re-tipping means cutting the dead sections off under water so no air gets into them.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:23 PM   #4 
Littlebittyfish

My wisteria kind of did that too...But after awhile it started to sprout some bright green side shoots so I pinched them off and planted..They're doing alright now..I only use nutrafin grow plant nutrients...No co2...Theres some plants I just cant keep alive though...trial an error I guess...haha...I have learned to stop buying anacharis now..Anacharis doesnt last a week in my tanks...I think it has alot to do with temperature for anacharis though...... /o:

What sort of kelvin rating does the light bulb have?
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:39 PM   #5 
PewPewPew

Your water might be very different than the water they were grown in. Wisteria has two kinds of leaves, too- so maybe its shedding the one kind for the other (which is better suited for your tank?)

Mine kinda do that. I just trim them off and they grow back.

82' is also pretty high for all of those plants, so try and lower it a little. Its at the max end of the spectrum.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 02:52 AM   #6 
sayurasem

i have a question, i have two 50/50 10watts fluorescent lights for my 10gal tank.
so do i have 20watts total or still 10 watts because each bulb is 10???
help appreciate it.
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 03:03 AM   #7 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
Your water might be very different than the water they were grown in. Wisteria has two kinds of leaves, too- so maybe its shedding the one kind for the other (which is better suited for your tank?)

Mine kinda do that. I just trim them off and they grow back.

82' is also pretty high for all of those plants, so try and lower it a little. Its at the max end of the spectrum.
My Wysteria had the land leaves for the LONGEST time... only recently has it gotten it's lazy green butt into gear and started growing those pretty sorta spiky leaves.

As for who mentioned Anacharis... Good... good... Anacharis is an evil plant that did nothing but cause me a breakdown months ago when it (A week after I had gotten it) sent out thousands of little mysterious white spores (that did nothing in the end) but ... I was still new to this so... yeah anyway I only have one teeny little Anacharis stem left, it's... Jeese I almost think it's fake >.> It's only 2 inches long, has a long root sticking from it, and is sorta tangled into one of my hornworts. Never grows, never dies... just... sits... (I think it's plotting).

As for the topic maker.........

Just get a bunch of Java ferns and Anubias plants they are pretty much immortal......... slow growing.... but immortal.
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 06:42 AM   #8 
PewPewPew

LOlol drax coming in from no where! XD

The lights question,20.
But please dont hijack threads!
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 07:55 AM   #9 
BlueHaven

Haha
Thank you for all the help!

Thunderloon:
I did that! BUT I didn't do that to all of them and I cut them outside the water. o_o
I re-cut them underwater. I did not use any scissors, but my finger nails to snip them. Is that alright?
lol

Littlebittyfish:
I don't know the kelvin on it...I don't know how to figure that out.
But the brand is lightsofamerica, I got it from walmart in the fish section!
I think I need to replace it...

Pewpewpew:
Oh, yea. When I got them they had big leaves, now they are growing smaller ones.
I just turned the temp to as low as it can get, which will probably be 78 degrees.

I love java ferns and the anubias nana.
:)
Old 05-28-2011, 08:01 AM   #10 
BlueHaven

Can I let the wisteria float?
If I put them into the gravel, they will just come back out during a water change, because of the current.
I only have an inch of substrate..?