Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-28-2011, 12:33 PM   #11 
Punki

After looking more, Shes more lethargic today actually, i dont know if shed even eat if i offered. Just floating along the surface, not sideways or anything but still. Im worried, i dunno what could be wrong, i always monitor her water because im paranoid of the containers size and her and my male get the same water/conditioner/food and its mostely spring water, always the same brand, he gets more food then her and hes older and fine. I have aquarium salt and epsom salt and oak leaf tannins, all ive added is the tannins as i have no idea whats wrong, i dont want to see her floating like this :( Her eyes and face seem a bit dull >.<
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:35 PM   #12 
Sakura8

Does it look like there may be any more eggs in the tank? If this is a swimbladder problem, it's not like any I've ever heard of. Hmm. But like I said earlier, my guy's butt sometimes floats up when he stops to look at something. Maybe it's a betta thing?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:41 PM   #13 
Sakura8

Does she have stress bars or anything? Hmmm. You can try adding something like Stress Coat and see if that helps. Do you think she's depressed because she can't see your male?
Old 05-28-2011, 12:41 PM   #14 
Punki

I just looked with a flashlight, which usually makes her swim off fast but she just slowely swam out of the way, no eggs, no markings, shes light colored so i cant see stress stripes even if she had them, no pineconing, ammonia levels are just starting to appear but she gets her daily water change in a bit so its on time. Her tail is clamped 75% of the time and unclamps when she wants to move but mostly it just floats clamped. Her poop when i changed her water yesterday was normal. I acclimate her every day. I just dont know =/
I wouldnt think she would rmeember him, she only seen him for one minute and its been 5-6 days since, only yesterday did she stop being so active and there was no reason for it as far as i could see. This mystery is frustrating, i wish she had something obvious going on so i could treat it. I dont have any stresscoat on me, just water conditioner, and salts and tannins.

Last edited by Punki; 05-28-2011 at 12:44 PM.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:44 PM   #15 
Sakura8

Did she always dart around a lot or was it something she had just started doing right before she got lethargic? And what kind of water conditioner do you use?
Old 05-28-2011, 12:54 PM   #16 
Sakura8

After googling, I think it's possible your betta is "eggbound." I guess when fish get into egglaying mode but they don't spawn, they either drop the eggs or reabsorb them. If they don't do either, they get "eggbound." One thing you might try is to move her back within sight of your male or even put her in the tank with a divider. The idea is to stimulate her into dropping her eggs.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:00 PM   #17 
Punki

I use tetra aquasafe. Ive only had her about ten days, the first few days she glided oer her newfound space and hid when i came near, after 3 days she started doing circles through her tank all day, and around the 5th day she tried to jump out when i went to feed her so i figured she was getting comfortable with me. Day 6-8 i would laugh because even if i wasnt AT her tank i could view it and see her doing laps, stopping for air then doing laps again. She was alittle spazzy but i figured its her nature since she has shorter fins then my male, she can move fast and have fun and not get dragged down. I took a few pics of her the day before she became ill, not sure if they make a difference.

I just tried to take picture but that propmpted her to sapzz and swim against her glass in the opposite direction so no today pics yet but nothing visible i dont think.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:02 PM   #18 
Punki

Ill sit her tank near his if it will help her, i just dont want to further stress her.Ill put her there now and we'll see how it goes.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:05 PM   #19 
Creat

I dont think she is eggbound. How much are you feeding her? She may be bloated or have something wrong with her swim bladder. I would stop feeding her for a few days and raise the temp a few degrees. swim bladder disorder would fit although she could just be constipated hence stop feeding her for a few days.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 01:11 PM   #20 
Punki

She usually get 4-8 mosquito larvae a day depending on their size i try to measure it to her eye, and before bed if she doesnt look full ill give her one aqueon betta food pellet, they are very small pellets. On her fasting day she was playful but the morning after the fasting day she was lethargic, i offered her 3 larvae once lethargic and she chased them and ate them, but with far less enthusiasm. The last time shes eatten was then because i stopped giving her food just in case so its been about 24 hours. In the last three days shes only had 3 larvae. Im not really sure if the food would have triggered it, i thought live foods were far less likely and it hit right after fasting day. Im still fasting but she isnt begging either so i dunno. She poops a bit but its been 3 days so theres less since shes been fed only 3 larvae out of these three days. Im going to change her water and check for poops soon.