Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-28-2011, 12:13 PM   #21 
Sakura8

Can you see a white spot on her stomach? This is called the ovipositor and is a definite sign she's carrying eggs.
Attached Images

Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:16 PM   #22 
Punki

Yes, it sticks out alittle more then in the picture. I think i have a picture of it...
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:21 PM   #23 
Sakura8

I dunno, I really think she's eggbound because she saw your male for a moment and that can stimulate the egglaying process. The timing seems right, since it's been several days since she saw him - by now she should have reabsorbed or dropped her eggs. But even if she's just constipated, the treatment would be more or less the same: fasting and a warmer temperature of her water. If she's eggbound, hopefully seeing your male will stimulate her into dropping the eggs she's got holed up in her. This also explains why only her butt floats up, 'cause her front's full of eggs.

Creat, still there? What do you think?

She's gorgeous, beautiful coloring.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:43 PM   #24 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

I had a young female who had "floaty butt". :)

She was a bit constipated and consquently exhibited what looked like swim bladder disorder.

I gave her epsom salt baths, as follows:

I made a solution of 1 tablespoon epsom salt to one gallon of conditioned, warm water. Once all the salt was dissolved and the solution mixed, I poured some of the solution into a container and floated the container in the main tank.

When the temperature in the container was equalized, I put in the betta for 20 minutes (used a timer). While she was having her epsom salt soak, I fed the other fish, so that she wouldn't be eating anything (fasting).

After her soak, I put her back in the tank. I repeated the same procedure at the night feeding.

The next day, she was back to normal. Another fish might need to go an extra day... in any event, this treatment will not hurt the bettas, and it is safer than going the 'pea' route (some people think feeding properly prepared peas helps with constipation - others say it damages their digestive system).

This may not be your betta's problem... but the soaks won't hurt her, if you want to give them a try... You could also added IAL to the solution... Just add some and let them steep awhile while the water is warm. Remove the leaves and use the solution as suggested.

Good luck with your betta... I hope her butt is unfloaty soon! :)

Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:48 PM   #25 
Sakura8

Here Fishy Fishy Fishy, I'll have to save this remedy in case something happens with my male. Epsom salts, not aquarium salts?

PS, going to be away from the computer for a few hours. I'll check back as soon as I can.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:55 PM   #26 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Yes, Epsom salt.... which isn't really a salt, btw. It's magnesium sulfate, and it has many medicinal properties:

http://www.epsomsaltcouncil.org/health_benefits.htm

It's not a cure for everything, but whether your a fish or a human, epsom salt is good to soak in (my bf had sore muscles and just went for an epsom soak. We were out of his supply, so he had to borrow some from my fishy supplies, lol)...
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 01:41 PM   #27 
Punki

Ill be changing her water in about 20 minutes, im letting the water conditioner sit in the jug for a bit first, ill prepare a epsom salt bath, i bought some soon after getting my male and have yet to open it, this is the right kind right?

Ill put her in her cup she came in and use that. If it cant hurt it can only possibly help!
Ill also try to take a couple of pictures of her in her cup if she will let me, usually shes active in her cup, though she willingly swims into it daily i dont think she enjoys it :P Ill check for poop in the tank as well, im just unsure what constipated her, i didn't think live foods could and one mini pellet a day i wouldn't expect to either. Either ways no food for her til she starts looking more healthy! Yesterday she did have some poo in her tank though so i wonder. Oh and i dont have ial but i do soak oak leaves for tannins. Ill add that also to the bath. Her waters temp is at 81 degrees, and it doesnt have the heater in, its just THAT HOT in my house, 85+ today

Last edited by Punki; 05-28-2011 at 01:54 PM.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:04 PM   #28 
Punki

Okay, i gave her a 20 minute soak in epsom salt and then put her in her clean water. In her tank was one lone kinda big poop. In the epsom salt she unclamped a bit more when id approach and swim alittle but clamp when i was away from her sight. Usually shes trying to push herself out of the cup very furiously swimming along the sides ut she was pretty relaxed. I got some better pictures of her in the cup. Maybe itll look more obvious if shes got eggs shes not re-absorbing/dropping or if its constipation/bloat. Shes now back in her tank with 82 degree clean treated water. Tonight ill repeat the epsom salt for 20 minutes if constipation is the case. Sorry that theres a picture of poop in here but i figured it may be useful, its brown, but with flash its a bit grey, so i took a pic with flash and without. Heres the pictures. Let me know if you have any ideas. In some shes clamping and im dunking out of her sight with a camera in the air like a fool, and in some other where she sees me shes unclamped. Her egg spot seems a bit longer then usual, in one of the pics in particular you can see it.

Look at that egg spot^^ or egg...tube poking down..o.o

flash turns it greyish, heres nonflash poop =x

Does she look constipated, or bloated, or eggy?
Old 05-28-2011, 05:24 PM   #29 
Punki

Her gills are opening and shutting almost constantly, my male doesnt do this that ive noticed... I wish shed feel better =/
Old 05-28-2011, 06:17 PM   #30 
Oldfishlady

I would start a 10 day Epsom salt treatment

In a small bare bottom QT container that can be floated in a heated tank to maintain 76-77F water temp, cover the top with plastic veggie wrap to retain heat and humidity for the labyrinth, hold food for the first 2 days then feed mosquito larva 4-5 twice daily....she needs to stay in the Epsom salt water...not a dip at this stage.....

Use a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water and add 2tsp/gal Epsom salt and tannins (either IAL or dried oak leaf) and use this pre-mixed treatment water for 100% daily water changes in the QT for the next 10-14 days.....

Good luck and keep us posted.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote