Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-27-2011, 09:18 PM   #1 
SashimiBetta

What should I do now?

Earlier today, I had this empty 20g. That I turned into a breeding tank. I had the whole set-up but was missing LIVE plants. So I went out and got some. Around 5ish I put the female in this tub and let the male rome around free...like you should do when you want to breed bettas. Around 6:30ish, I let the female out of the tub and let her join the male. NOW it's 10:16p.m and I see no bubblenest STILL, and all I am seeing is a little bit of flaring and chasing - DEF. breeding stripes but I am not seeing any luck.

Should I just stop the breeding? Or am I going the right path?
My male betta is making bubbles, but they keep popping...Is that good?
SashimiBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:22 PM   #2 
DarkMoon17

It usually takes at least 24 hours for them to spawn (mine usually spawn aorund the 48 hour mark and some males don't make a nest until the eggs have dropped), and usually you wait until the male has begun building a nest before you release the female. Patience patience. If they aren't tearing each other apart then you can leave them together. You might want to close off part of the tank if they aren't too aggressive so that they have to see one another. 20 gallons is a bit big for spawning.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 03:55 PM   #3 
SashimiBetta

Thank you DarkMoon17(: You are lots of help.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:37 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Even in a big tank-when the fish are ready to spawn they will find each other...usually the female will go to the male in a head down position...fish have many ways to communicate and the biggest one is the hormones and pheromones along with visual, color changes, body language to name a few.......when the female see the male and detect the males hormones in the water her eggs will start to ripen (if she is of breeding age) and when the male spots the female and then detects the pheromone of the ripening eggs (and he is of breeding age) he will usually get excited and start a nest, however, as posted-some male don't make a nest and some wait until he has eggs in his mouth to start building....this varies just like spawning and everything about breeding...laffs.....

If you have a filter in the tank-turn it off, cover the top with something to retain the heat and humidity, add tannins from either IAL or dried oak leaf...this will help with spawning and the nest-once he builds one...

As posted-give them time and try not to disturb them and especially try not to put your hands, net...etc....in the tank...unless one or the other is trying to kill each other...but you do want to watch...witnessing the Betta spawning act is awesome to see/watch......

Post another pic of your spawning tank since you added live plants.....

How long did you condition them and what did you use and what kind of cultures do you plan for fry food.....

Good luck and keep us posted....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 05:03 PM   #5 
SashimiBetta

I turned off my filter..Turned on the light, and I do have a heater in there(76 degrees) . I even got 4 live plants stuffed in the corner as well as silk/fake plants. Couple caves and my male just doesn't seem interested. My female looks and she gets the vertical lines than once the male looks at her she gets the stress lines.

I toke them both out last night, and think I will try again next week. (Of course I don't want to handle them to much).

How long did you condition them: I actually added AquaSafe conditioner. I added the conditioner while I was adding the tap water (like it said).
What did you use and what kind of cultures do you plan for fry food: I plan on feeding the fry Mosquito Larvae
&& I am feeding the adults bloodworms and pellets.

THANK YOU SO MUCH OLDFISHLADY YOU HavE BEEN A GREAT HELP.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:46 PM   #6 
Punki

The mosquito larvae around here is far too huge for a frys little mouth, Not sure they would be able to start off with those. Good luck :)
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 05:55 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

If you have mosquito larva...mass feed them to the breeders.....place them in separate containers 1/2-1gal no filtration-you don't want them to be able to see each other and mass feed the larva several times a day....keep their water in the 76F range and add tannins if you have any-water changes 50% 1 time a week...this is for conditioning not long term care for 7 days only.....

The spawning tank-do 2 50% water changes during the 7 day conditioning of the breeders........one now and one right before you add them to the tank....you need the water temp at 80F-keep the lights on the tank for 12/h/day for the plants-add some common snail and feed them leafy greens like fresh/blanched spinach or romaine lettuce to help them make lots of infusoria for the spawning tank for fry food...you need more stem plants too...more the better.....water lettuce, naja grass, even hornwort would be good......

After 7 days-drop both breeders in the tank at the same time-first thing in the AM is best-they will get a little shock and this should trigger spawning......usually they will spawn within an hour or so.....

This is the shock method that works well for hard spawners....

This is only if they are healthy to start and of breeding age....

You are going to need something smaller for the fry food...I would get a BBS hatchery and start it going once the fry are on the 2nd day from hatch........
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:11 PM   #8 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SashimiBetta View Post
I turned off my filter..Turned on the light, and I do have a heater in there(76 degrees) . I even got 4 live plants stuffed in the corner as well as silk/fake plants. Couple caves and my male just doesn't seem interested. My female looks and she gets the vertical lines than once the male looks at her she gets the stress lines.

I toke them both out last night, and think I will try again next week. (Of course I don't want to handle them to much).

How long did you condition them: I actually added AquaSafe conditioner. I added the conditioner while I was adding the tap water (like it said).
What did you use and what kind of cultures do you plan for fry food: I plan on feeding the fry Mosquito Larvae
&& I am feeding the adults bloodworms and pellets.

THANK YOU SO MUCH OLDFISHLADY YOU HavE BEEN A GREAT HELP.
That isn't conditioning…

Conditioning is when you feed the breeding pair lots of live or frozen food for at least two weeks while doing daily water changes.

Also, the mosquito larvae will be too large for the fry. You need a culture of some very small food like microworms, banana worms, or walter worms. Or you could feed them baby brine shrimp as well. Either way, you need to feed them a varied diet as they grow and you need to get them a different food than the mosquito larvae.

Are the bloodworms frozen?

Last edited by turtle10; 05-28-2011 at 09:15 PM.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:02 PM   #9 
DarkMoon17

Well... You've got a few problems which would explain your troubles. As others have mentioned, conditioning is when you feed your breeders lots of really nutritious foods like frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, frozen glassworms and live mosquito larva while keeping their water at 78*+ and crystal clear. They should not be able to see each other either. Don't feed bettas freeze dried anything, it isn't nutritious and leads to bloating. Only frozen and/or live foods should be used (in addition to a pellet food containing min 40% protein).

Also, your water will need to be above 80* if you want them to spawn.

For the fry, you'll need something smaller than mosquito larva. As mentioned, you will need small things like microworms, walterworms and banana worms for the first few days then you can move them onto a mixture of the worms and freshly hatched bbs. It takes the worm cultures 7 days to stabilize before you can feed from them so buy those now so they will be ready once you finish conditioning your pair in 2 weeks.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 12:31 PM   #10 
SashimiBetta

My Bloodworms are frozen, yes.

Ok, so your saying I need to buy microworms & fresh hatched BBS, set the heater to 80-85*, feed the adults frozen bloodworms, & lighting for 12hrs.

Am i missing anything?

Last edited by SashimiBetta; 05-29-2011 at 12:36 PM.