Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-24-2011, 09:18 PM   #1 
cadi731

New Tank Set Up Idea?

We might be moving into a bigger house relatively soon. If we are, I wanted to move my baby into a bigger house too.
Right now, he's in a five gallon, currently set up with gravel, marbles, and pebbles, a big silk plant, a cave house thing, a floating log, and a rubbery anemone like thing. Here's a picture.
Name:  newtank.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  70.3 KB

I was thinking about upgrading to a 10 gallon and getting some other kind of table thing to put it on, since my bookcase likely won't support it. I originally DID have a 10 gallon, but I downgraded to a 5 gallon before I introduced him to it, because it looked like my bookcase was about to collapse from the weight.
He LOVES his five gallon, but I really want him to have a bigger tank so he'd have more room to swim and get further away from the filter. It doesn't push him around badly, but he still tries to avoid it. If he had the bigger tank, he could.

Anyway, my idea for the new set up was more plain than it is now. I'm going to keep his log and the silk plant, and possibly the anemone. He doesn't really do much with it, other than hide in the middle and watch me like a little creeper.
I want to get plain tan gravel and a couple riverstones, one small terracotta pot, and one slightly bigger one. I plan to take apart the silk plant that's in there right now and scatter the leaf things around the tank so they're not all bunched up like they are. He doesn't really swim through them, because he can't find out how to get through 'em. xD
They're removable, so I won't be breaking them or anything. I'm going to tie them together with some thread so they don't wind up going all over the place if they escape from the gravel.

I like the simple, plain idea. I think he will too, if he has more hidey places and more swimming room.

Does anyone think this idea is okay? Is there anything else I should/could do to make it better? I figured it would all be pretty cheap, since terracotta pots are really cheap, and the gravel, at most would only be like, $10. I might just get a used 10 gallon off of craigslist or something. I already have a good filter. I just need a new heater. Are there any cheap but really good ADJUSTABLE heaters?

Gimme any suggestions or comments you have. :3
Please and thank you!
cadi731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:20 PM   #2 
PewPewPew

Make sure your FLOOR can handle the weight, too! Its very heavy, just the water alone is an extra 100lbs, added in 5-10lbs of gravel, filter, decor...Thats like 120+ lbs!
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:27 PM   #3 
cadi731

I'm not quite sure what the house is like yet, so... I'm thinking it'll be strong enough. The house I'm in now is built pretty crappy, and it holds my 5 gallon, the book case it's on, and the three shelves full of books I have on it. When I get the 10 gallon, it'll be on something else, not the book case.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:30 PM   #4 
PewPewPew

I'd invest in a decent quality stand :) Theyre not too expensive and usually have storage in them. At least then you'd know one aspect is safe....LOLOLOL
Old 05-24-2011, 11:15 PM   #5 
laughing

Oh ya, walmart sells stands for like 20 bucks. I would splurge!

I honestly prefer the look of sand/larger pebble substrate over gravel.
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:45 PM   #6 
PewPewPew

Sand's niiiiceeee... I'd go that route, rawr! That's look good.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:47 AM   #7 
cadi731

Wouldn't that be a pain when cleaning though? xD I'd love to have sand, but I think it would be a pain to clean. That's why I wanted gravel. It's not that hard to do changes with, I can easily make it do what I want it to, and it's cheap.

I think my dad has a tv stand I could use. It should be able to hold it, if it can hold me. It has wheels and storage too. It would make water changes easier. xD
Old 05-25-2011, 06:47 AM   #8 
Wyvern

For Betta's sand will be fine, they are not so messy. Just a tip if you do a gravel vac with sand, just do half a tank with the once water change and half a tank with the next. I found sand trapped more bad bits - lots of pockets of ammonia and so forth that caused bad spikes in my tanks till I changed to gravel.
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:55 AM   #9 
nowzem

I have sand in my planted tank...I hate it! If I siphon it, it comes up thru the siphon into my bucket...so the stuff accumulates on it. It was cheap, but its definately harder to clean!
nowzem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:15 PM   #10 
cadi731

I think I'll wind up using gravel. xD Easier, and not too expensive.

I rearranged a few things in his tank when I did a water change. He seems pretty happy now that his little house is back where it used to be. xD Picky kid.