Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2011, 11:50 AM   #1 
shinybetta

Betta Compatibility Guide

So, I wanted to wright a compatibility guide. I will list the fish that are safe (or not safe) and put special needs, tank size, etc.... Let's Begin:

*Safe
______

Snails- Research different species, if they eat plants, and if they can become aggresive before buying. Tank size: 1 gallon +

Corydoras Catfish: Need to be kept in groups of 4+, and need a soft substrate that will not damage their barbels. They are very sensitive to salt and meds, so be careful. Tank size: 10 gallon +

Bristlenose Pleco: Needs driftwood to be healthy. If put in a tank of ten gallons alllow lots of driftwood, rocks, etc for the pleco, as this increases the amount of space they have for feeding and exploring. The albino variety is generally smaller. Tank size: 10 gallons +

Kuhli loaches: Require sand or soil to dig in. Must be kept in groups of 3+. Sensitive to salt and medications. Tank size: 10 gallons+

Common Guppies: Need to be kept in groups of three plus. Will breed out of control in mixed gender group. Tank size: 5 gallons (Not recommended)

Most bottom dwelling or non-colorful fish will be okay with bettas. This is just a general list of commonly found fish

*These are not guarenteed success, overly agressive fish may attack, although it is uncommon.

Possibly Safe

Neon Tetras- Need schools of 4 or more, 6+ is better. Bright colors may provoke betta, be cautious. Tank size: 10 gallons +

Fancy Guppies: Need to be kept in groups of three or more. Bright colors and long tail may provoke betta, be very cautious

GloFish: Best kept in schools of 5+. May become nippy, and bright colors may provoke betta. Be cautious. Tank size: 10 to 15 gallons +

Zebra Danios: Best kept in schools of 5+. May become nippy, and fast movements may aggravate betta. Tank size: 10 to 15 gallons +

Glo-Light Tetras: Need schools of 4 or more, 6+ is better. Bright colors may provoke betta, be cautious. Tank size: 10 gallons +

Dwarf Gourami's: Anabantids, bubblenesters, top eaters, colorful. Best placed with female betta's, as the act and look to much like a male betta. Plant tank VERY heavily and have extreme caution. Tank size: 5 gallons+

Small, bright fish may provoke semi aggressive to overly aggressive bettas. Use caution, and watch carefully.

Never House

Cichilids
Oscars
Pirhannas
Goldfish
Large, aggressive Fish.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:37 PM   #2 
Sweeda88

You should also add that you should NEVER have any kind of shark (red tailed, bala, rainbow) with Betta fish.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:47 PM   #3 
shinybetta

Dang it, It won't let me edit. But if someone reads this they can see your post so it isn't that bad. What do you think?
Old 01-04-2011, 01:49 PM   #4 
Sweeda88

That sounds fine. =)
Old 01-04-2011, 01:57 PM   #5 
DormDrax

Yes because SO (Sarcasm) many people would go out and get sharks for their tanks XD
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:06 PM   #6 
Adastra

This is a good start, however, I wanted to share my opinion on some of your choices.

10 gallons for even smaller plecos is too small. Personally, I wouldn't put a BN pleco in anything smaller than a 30 gallon, although some people suggest a 20 gallon minimum. These fish get to be about 5" in length and produce a ton of waste for their size--they are poop machines.

I wouldn't try dwarf gouramis, they are very aggressive and can easily bully a slow-moving betta. If they pair up, they get very territorial, even among themselves. You may be able to get away with a small group of sparkling gouramis in some situations, but it is only to be done with caution.

The main problem with danios is they prefer colder water than bettas are comfortable in. I wouldn't keep them over 75-76 degrees unless I was attempting to spawn them. If you can tackle the temperature issue, it could potentially work, but if not, either the danios or the betta will suffer from complications related to improper temperature conditions.

In each case, the fishkeeper should come up with a backup plan. Bettas are aggressive, solitary fish. Not all of them are able to cope with having a social situation imposed on them.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:15 PM   #7 
shinybetta

Bettas may bully gourami or the other way around I am aware of. That is why I put have extreme caution. I have heard of it working out in a large heavily planted tank with a female betta. I think a BN pleco will do fine in a ten gallon if water is changed often enough and their is lots of plants. If there is tons of driftwood rocks, etc.... then the pleco will have more space then a fifteen gallon with not many decorations. Because the stay low to the ground, or surfaces such as driftwood or rock, it is not about the tank size so much as the amount of deco. And the Albino's stay smaller.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:28 PM   #8 
Sweeda88

Quote:
Originally Posted by DormDrax View Post
Yes because SO (Sarcasm) many people would go out and get sharks for their tanks XD
I'm talking about THIS kind of shark.... http://www.petco.com/product/101108/...shwater%20Fish
Old 01-04-2011, 03:52 PM   #9 
tsoto80

so...it's a no on the shark then? jk
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:35 PM   #10 
scootshoot

I had read Platy's were safe but mine are going back. Had my male in the 14 with 3 platy's. Noticed a tear on my male yesterday but assumed he may have tangled it with something...that is until I saw the Male platy taking a nip at the Bettas fins.
scootshoot is online now   Reply With Quote