Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-30-2011, 09:31 PM   #1 
Sweeda88

Brown algae... thick and dark like chocolate?

I just wiped a bunch of brown algae off of my filter outflow. It's dark and thick like chocolate, almost black. It's all over my tank walls, and as soon as I clean it off, more comes to take it's place. The kind on my tank walls, gravel, and decor is a lighter color than the stuff on my filter. What should I do? It only came about after I got some new plants. I don't think they're diatoms.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:14 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Look up cyanobacteria-BGA and see if this fits what you have....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:24 PM   #3 
Sweeda88

No, it doesn't look like that. I'm sorry I can't get pictures. I only have my webcam, and it doesn't take enough detail. It looks like regular algae, but brown, except for where it builds up on the filter outflow.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:41 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

BGA isn't always green, blue, red...it can be brown, light brown, tan...etc....how fast does it come back after you remove it, does it have a smell, can you see what looks like bubble mixed in it.....

How big is the tank, how much and how often are the water changes, water temp, filter, baffle, water flow, live plants, number and species, additives used-type and amount, left over food removed after feeding, lights-type, watts/kelvin/age of bulbs and photoperiod, stocking/bioload, age of setup, do you have any water pram number for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and type of testing product used......how long has the algae been in the tank.....
Old 05-31-2011, 06:12 PM   #5 
Sweeda88

5 gallons, 50% water change once a week, 78-80 degrees (it gets warmer at night for some reason, even though I have it set to 72 because it over heats), 5-15 Marineland HOB filter, intake is lifted to slow the flow, it's flow is about 1/4 of what it would be full blast, I have moneywort and a Marimo moss ball (the algae only came about after they were added, so I think they're the problem), I use prime water conditioner, 2 drops per gallon, I only feed 2 pellets per female (it's divided), so there is next to never any leftover food, unless it floats away too fast and sinks, 15 watt fluorescent bulb, I have no idea what Kelvin rating it is, the bulb is only 1 month old, I leave the light on for at least 8 hours a day, I have two female Bettas in the tank (divided), the setup is at least 3 months old, and it is cycled. I haven't tested the water since it finished cycling. I'll do that later.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:12 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

After you remove it-how fast does it come back-does it grow in sheets....
Old 06-01-2011, 10:19 AM   #7 
Sweeda88

No, not sheets. It's just spots all over the bottom half of the glass. It grows quickly. It comes back in a day or two.