Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-28-2011, 06:03 PM   #1 
roypattonphoto

Cleaning A Planted Tank?

next day or so i need to do a water change and clean job on the Planted tank, need to clean out and trim up the plants.....

do i have to be worried about the gravel vac and the floramax substrate?

should i just do a light suck across the top of the sub strate getting the poopies and dead bits of shrimps off the bottom? then add new water and condition and everything?
roypattonphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 06:14 PM   #2 
callmeconfused

1. Condition the water before you add it to the tank.

2. Yeah, you probably want to do a surface vac. It also helps to twirl the tube over the top of the substrate to lift up the poo :) Deep gravel vacs are good, but in a planted tank, you only really need to do it over the open areas.

3. Just a warning if you decide to move any plants, they collect waste. If you pull them up, the stuff caught in the roots is gonna get tossed up into the water and make a mess. Just FYI.

Good Luck!

Edit, almost forgot. I have eco-complete and it likes to get sucked up the tube. I don't know about Floramax, though. Hopefully someone else can answer that one.
callmeconfused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 06:32 PM   #3 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmeconfused View Post
1. Condition the water before you add it to the tank.
3. Just a warning if you decide to move any plants, they collect waste. If you pull them up, the stuff caught in the roots is gonna get tossed up into the water and make a mess. Just FYI.
Oh god... when I moved my Hornwort once.................

*Shivers* My tank turned brown in less than 5 seconds, and I had just finished cleaning. *Twitch* ......... *twitch*
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 06:38 PM   #4 
fishman12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DormDrax View Post
Oh god... when I moved my Hornwort once.................

*Shivers* My tank turned brown in less than 5 seconds, and I had just finished cleaning. *Twitch* ......... *twitch*
Lol I feel a sudden urge to change my filter cartridge

I didn't know that, good advice
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 06:47 PM   #5 
Thunderloon

if you get the smaller gravel vacs that are the same diameter as the UGF pipes you can use them as pin-point sweepers instead of having to use whatever size sweeping apparatus is "designed" for your tank. I've got one with fifteen inches of length on it I fit into the head so I can reach the back.

When using a siphon sweeper try folding the hose over in your left hand to work as a flow valve, you can start and stop the water flow, then start it again once the light substrate has cleared.

You can also use half inch tube this way to clear around the roots. Be careful not to cut roots. I usually figure out where the plants in the tank will go then make sure I have sort of a bottom-washing flow across them to keep the mulm from packing in.

To clear bottom mulm do the start-stop fold on the hose and gently rub the gravel around on the bottom while the flow is stopped THEN apply flow. It will bring up a lot of material that wouldn't be abraded from the gravel if water was flowing through.

Or you can do dirt-bottomed.

Last edited by Thunderloon; 05-28-2011 at 06:54 PM.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:21 PM   #6 
tsoto80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderloon View Post
if you get the smaller gravel vacs that are the same diameter as the UGF pipes you can use them as pin-point sweepers instead of having to use whatever size sweeping apparatus is "designed" for your tank. I've got one with fifteen inches of length on it I fit into the head so I can reach the back.

When using a siphon sweeper try folding the hose over in your left hand to work as a flow valve, you can start and stop the water flow, then start it again once the light substrate has cleared.

You can also use half inch tube this way to clear around the roots. Be careful not to cut roots. I usually figure out where the plants in the tank will go then make sure I have sort of a bottom-washing flow across them to keep the mulm from packing in.

To clear bottom mulm do the start-stop fold on the hose and gently rub the gravel around on the bottom while the flow is stopped THEN apply flow. It will bring up a lot of material that wouldn't be abraded from the gravel if water was flowing through.

Or you can do dirt-bottomed.
confused....sounds so confusing is there a link to a video for an example?
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:32 PM   #7 
roypattonphoto

and decided to rid myself of 2 plants and move 2 and then had to trim my tall onions, and wow you guys werent kidding , when removing plants they let off a rank smell..
roypattonphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:59 PM   #8 
callmeconfused

Yea, fish-poo is alot stronger than you'd think! lol.
callmeconfused is offline   Reply With Quote