Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-27-2011, 12:46 AM   #1 
roypattonphoto

Elvis The Fat Fish.....Bloating....

well as most of u know

i planted a tank, put in a snail and 6 ghost shrimp.... i was noticing today, my guy is a bit bloated.. and im down to 1 shrimp lol..... what a oinker...

he has been kind lazy lately, more so then usual, and i really didnt pay attention to it until today when i noticed he was laying on top of one the plants at the surface for long periods of time.. more so then before...

im not going to feed him at all tomorrow, and see how he looks, or is there someting special i need to do

will he debloat over the next day or so?

____

10G
Heavy Planted
PH is about 6.2
temp is 80
bettafix fiz tablets for water conditioner

_____

his feeding is usually 4 pellets at night, im gonna cut it down to 2 for a the next few days in hopes it dont get to crazy...

any suggestions?
roypattonphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:09 AM   #2 
Sakura8

Uhm, clarify for me. Four pellets total fed at night and that's it, no other meals? (Other than the shrimp he's apparently been sneaking . . .) Or does he get breakfast and lunch in addition to his dinner?

Well, first, his diet should go back down to normal once there aren't any shrimp left, whether you remove it from the tank or he does. Best thing to do is fast him for several days until he shrinks to normal size. During that time, he's probably going to be very lethargic because he's so fat. What a porker. A porker and a poor tankmate for shrimp.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:08 AM   #3 
roypattonphoto

yah the normal feeding routine ..

Morning: Pinch of blood worms for everyone...

Night: 4 Pellets

he's funny, i drop in the algea wafer in the back of the tank while i feed him for the snail/shrimp and he will "hurry up n eat" then go sit on top of the wafer and not let anyone near it lol... quite funny
Old 05-27-2011, 03:16 PM   #4 
Sakura8

Haha, yeah I heard betta can be real stinkers when it comes to sharing food.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:26 PM   #5 
roypattonphoto

well his belly has gone down a bit, but its offical, there is no more shrimp in the tank no wheres... just him and the snail.. so far he hasnt been bother the snail, i got a black mystery so it kid of blends into the substrate and plants, dont think he has really seen it...

now mask my HM, in the hex will lay on his snail, and the girls will knock theirs off the glass when they go up the glass, its funny, they dont bother them anywhere else unless theyre on the glass..
Old 05-27-2011, 08:06 PM   #6 
Sakura8

Poor shrimp. Haha, I think all your bettas are trying to tell you they don't like their snail tankmates. Poor snails!
Old 05-28-2011, 06:01 PM   #7 
roypattonphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Poor shrimp. Haha, I think all your bettas are trying to tell you they don't like their snail tankmates. Poor snails!
haha your tellin me...

i caught one of the girls with the snail shell in their mouth carrying it across the tank , snail still alive and no damage.. i freaked, pulled the snail and her out put her in the 1g and the snail in the cup. watched them for a few hours, and put them back in the tank, snail now has small ventilation hole on the bottom of its shell..... Snail-Condition ??...but still seems to be thriving
Old 05-28-2011, 07:59 PM   #8 
Sakura8

Haha, that's hysterical. Someone needs to explain to these girls it's not nice to treat the cleaning service that way!