Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-28-2011, 08:53 PM   #1 
luluo

Aging water and temp question

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but if you age your water, how do you go about warming it to match the temperature of your tank? I keep the tank water at 78F. Water sitting at room temp in my house is at about 72F. If I just need a half gallon or so, I can put a smaller container in a larger container of warm water to bring the temp up, but is there an easier way for handling 3-5 gallons?

Thanks. :)
luluo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:11 PM   #2 
Lion Mom

Why are you "aging" your water? As long as you use water conditioner, tap water can be used immediately. Put the conditioner in the new water before adding it to the tank.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:22 PM   #3 
luluo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Mom View Post
Why are you "aging" your water? As long as you use water conditioner, tap water can be used immediately. Put the conditioner in the new water before adding it to the tank.
Yes, I know this. I am not aging my water. I use conditioner. But I thought that if I could fill up my water a day or two prior (still using conditioner) then maybe I could keep my kids out of my hair because once they hear me filling buckets, they're up out of bed and it can be chaotic. I've read posts about people aging water and wondered if there was an easy way to warm the water.
luluo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:54 PM   #4 
nowzem

I age my water (because it happens to be better to do so due to all the gases present that cause all those bubbles. This can actuallly harm fish, therefore its better to age water. Since I have well water, there are a lot of dissolved gases that come out of solution when the water exits the pipe, including CO2, and water conditioner doesn't help a poot with that!) And I have been pondering this myself! Only thing that comes to mind is getting a cheap heater for a 5 gallon bucket... What I'm doing ATM is adding just enough hot water to equalize the RT water to whatever my tank's temperature is. I utilize a digital thermometer to gauge the actual temp, even then its an irritating process :)
nowzem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:13 PM   #5 
Tisia

I use 1 gallon water jugs and just fill a couple sinks with hot water and stick them in
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 12:03 AM   #6 
nowzem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisia View Post
I use 1 gallon water jugs and just fill a couple sinks with hot water and stick them in
LOL, how many sinks do you have?! (Just kidding) That's a good idea! The bathtub would work too, I spose! :)
nowzem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 01:40 AM   #7 
Tisia

just 2, which works okay for my 5 gallons, going to have to figure out something else to do once my 10 gallon is cycled, lol
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 02:36 AM   #8 
LeroyTheBetta

Maybe you could microwave a small portion of the aged water and add that warmed water to the rest of it..... just monitor it with a thermometer to get it to the right temp before adding it to the tank.
LeroyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:14 AM   #9 
Neil D

just pour the water into the tank and wait 15 mins for the temp to stablize. then add the fish back in.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 12:56 PM   #10 
Slayers

I have a 5 gal Kritter keeper that I age my water in and I use a Stealth pro heater to heat it up I also use gal jugs for other water and use a cheap preset heater that fits inside them to keep the water close to the temp in my tanks
Slayers is offline   Reply With Quote