Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-29-2011, 01:20 AM   #11 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze54 View Post
Wait he's "snapping" at them? I've heard that's the sign he doesn't want anyone else around! How long has he been in the tank by himself? He may have already made the entire tank his turf and has gotten used to being the only fish in there. Just keep and extremely close eye on them!! Good luck!
... Since November...
When I got him.

ACK! I keep hearing the Black Mollie quickly spash the surface as he darts away.

Oh if only there was a form of 'Pot' for fish... I think Drax needs a chill out time.
*Goes to fetch old Vase* It's for your OWN good Drax...

(Tell me what to do or within the next hour Drax is to be 'VASED' for the night bum Bum BUMMM)
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 01:27 AM   #12 
Blaze54

I would suggest during your next water change, re-arrange the decor a bit. This should make him feel like he's in a new place and won't be so protective. Good luck!
EDIT:I like the dramatic bum Bum BUMMM
Blaze54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 01:39 AM   #13 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze54 View Post
I would suggest during your next water change, re-arrange the decor a bit. This should make him feel like he's in a new place and won't be so protective. Good luck!
EDIT:I like the dramatic bum Bum BUMMM

He took a giant bite out of the Dalmatian Molly's tail...

Drax is now in his old Vase... untill I return the fish and try another kind.

For returns... do I get store credit for fish? ...................................

Oh wow... *Laptop next to tank* Oh wow... everyone is playing now in the tank now that Drax is not in there. Though...

Oh *Waves arms* Oh no no no no no no no no no don't worry I prefer Drax to these fish. The Mollies seem too... hyper, and the Platies seem kinda..... dumb.

I'll try again tomorrrow with Danios...

*Sigh* my experiment has failed...
Old 05-29-2011, 01:53 AM   #14 
LeroyTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by DormDrax View Post
i'll try again tomorrrow with Danios...

*Sigh* my experiment has failed...
Sigh, myself. If you're just in it for a science experiment, and if you're looking for danios to put with your betta.... and if you're accepting bets on the outcome, may I make a large wager that it won't turn out well with danios and your betta either?

My suggestion is to slow down, think, and do a bit of research before buying a type of fish on a whim and then checking if it'd be ok. You didn't do a thorough check on the danios' requirements, obviously, is that right? If you did and still think danios are a good choice, you either keep your betta too cool, or the danios will struggle with your betta's temperature. Unless you keep your betta in a cool water tank (which isn't recommended), danios shouldn't be put with your betta. They take about 64 to 74 degrees. Also, you said that mollies seem too hyper.... you won't like danios, either.

Last edited by LeroyTheBetta; 05-29-2011 at 01:58 AM.
LeroyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 02:02 AM   #15 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeroyTheBetta View Post
Sigh, myself. If you're just in it for a science experiment

*Slaps* (Just Kidding)

I meant that term as a matter of fact... I heard Mollies and Betta's ... is kinda 50/50 I wanted to try! So I made (Forced) the worker to select the healthiest specimens of Mollies. And Platies.

Obviously Drax has just been alone far too long to have Tank Mates...

Yes your right. I didn't know about that about Danios. Thank You.

but... there must be some fish that is almost... if not ALWAYS a good tank mate. Like... uh... Tetra's or... Neons...
(I'm still new to all this in general (Only got Drax is November) so give me a break!)

Drax is in the vase now... plotting my death most likely >.>;
Old 05-29-2011, 02:05 AM   #16 
baylee767

Danio's= fin nippers!! They also, from what I've read, need 20 gallon tanks (very active little schoolers) If I were you I'd just completely rearange the tank and add Drax tommorrow. If he still goes for the fish, you should return them.

By the way, Mollies thrive in brackishwater so unless you keep that tank really clean then you'll have Mollies with fungus. You should keep either 1 mollie or 2 females to one male ratio of Mollies. Platies are the same (Althought I've read that you can keep multiple males without any females so *shrugs*) I've read you should keep Mollies in 15+ gallons. AND, I've seen gigantic ordinary, every day Mollies, larger than a Betta for sure.

Certain tank mates almost every Betta, even very aggressive ones, tend to allow, are cories. Pygmy cories seem great as they just seem to camoflauge and are almost never noticed by Bettas, but they are really active (well, a little less active than Bettas but still) and you'll certainly notice them. Not to mention completely peacful, they'd definatly ignore ghost shrimp, any thing really. So I'd reccomend Cories, and I'd really reccomend Pygmies due to the fact that they are just less noticed by the Betta.

EDIT: started typing this before above post was posted. Oops.

Last edited by baylee767; 05-29-2011 at 02:07 AM.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 02:10 AM   #17 
DormDrax

...!

I don't have a Substrate T_T

Cories I heard NEED a soft substrate.

*Sigh*

Maybe I'll just get a bunch of Shrimp again... until Drax kills them all again...
Old 05-29-2011, 02:14 AM   #18 
baylee767

Oh... wow then... 0.0

Wait. WAIT. *Baylee is thinking* Ooooh, got something. Maybe you can put like... I dunno, a... container of some sort that stretches to half the length of your tank with sand (if you don't want substrate) Probably only work if you get pygmies as many say they can live in 5 gallons and that's be 5 gallons of snuffling room... So unless you have them nearby (Unfortunatly they're not too common) Then... I have no clue /= Other than bottom feeders every fish is going to be heavily noticed.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 02:18 AM   #19 
LeroyTheBetta

DD, you could try neon tetras. They'd do fine in a 10 gallon and they wouldn't be any sort of threat or bother to your betta as they're a very peaceful fish. But, you just won't know whether Drax will accept them! If you try neons, realize that they are shoaling fish and need to be with several other neons.... some say about 5 to 7 or more. Otherwise, they are a bit nervous and may hide or be stressed (which in itself could lead to health problems/diseases for the tetras).

If you get any, maybe start with about 3 and see how Drax accepts them, and be prepared if he doesn't..... back to the fish shop again, possibly? It's possible you just won't have any luck with tankmates if Drax is just a grumpy boy. But you won't know until you give it a shot, but first please do a bit of checking on what fish you're thinking of in order to give yourself the best chance of making a good match and succeding.

You just may have to get another tank so Drax can have his own place, and use the 10 gallon you have for a small community. :)

Last edited by LeroyTheBetta; 05-29-2011 at 02:22 AM.
LeroyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 02:30 AM   #20 
trono

Just change your substrate to sand! I totally promise it's not a major pain in the ass.....

Ok, it was a huge pain for me making the change from gravel to sand, but totally worth it because my pygmy cories are the cutest. They even take oxygen from the surface, sort of like bettas do.

EDIT: If you don't have a substrate at all, then adding sand would not be that difficult.
trono is offline   Reply With Quote