Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-29-2011, 04:19 AM   #31 
trono

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeroyTheBetta View Post
I have Wardley's (brand name) Shrimp pellets. They sink and sort of bloat up and disintigrate. I'm not sure what brands are available in the US suited for cories, but I'm sure the shop will help you choose some.

My cories also vacuum up leftover food on the bottom..... they're in my community tank and there's a bit that falls down. They're omnivores and will eat whatever they get. I'm sure not much goes to waste in my tank as my cories and bn, as well as the mollies and neons are down there picking all the time. Nitrates are usually never higher than about 10 in this tank due to lots of plants and my fish pick up extra food.

Just keep an eye on your cories condition.... look that their abdominal area isn't too thin. Not sure what types and numbers of fish you'll have in your tank with them, but they may get some of their food stolen by your betta when he recognizes that the pellets are food! So, if the pellets appear to be eaten all the time, don't just automatically assume the cories are eating it.
I'm lucky in that my betta totally ignores their food. Might be because I sneakily throw the cory food in the tank whilst I am feeding my betta or right after lights out.
trono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 04:25 AM   #32 
LeroyTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by trono View Post
I'm lucky in that my betta totally ignores their food. Might be because I sneakily throw the cory food in the tank whilst I am feeding my betta or right after lights out.
My betta checks out the bottom with a fine tooth comb..... If he sees something he suspects COULD be some sort of morsel, he'll give it the eye (as a betta owner I'm sure you know this look) for a few seconds, circle around it, eye it again, then go in for the kill. lol He looks totally disgusted if he discovers it's just a rock!
LeroyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:05 AM   #33 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Hi DormDrax,

Okay, you're not going to like hearing this, but I'm going to say it anyways:

1) A 10 gallon is too small for corys. They should be kept in groups of 4 or more. Pygmy corys which grow to 1.25", and are the only corys that could go in that tank without killing your bioload.

2) I have a super agressive female betta who likes to be alone. So I keep her that way. Learned the hard way... her last victim was a Bronze cory!

I would:

Leave Drax alone, in his tank, the way it is. That's the way HE wants it.

Save up for a larger community tank.

Get your mom a small tank set up and put some shrimp in it for her. Just shrimp. You'll make her day! :)
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 01:05 PM   #34 
laughing

A little empty 2.5 gallon would be so cute for a few shrimp!

I don't think it is because he's territorial, I think it was the fish you chose. Everything was a bad very un-thought out plan. I am glad you're returning them!

Researching is not something difficult, just go onto Google and search what kind of fish you're considering. Most info will be accurate.

Neons, danios, etc will stress him out. They zoom zoom zoom! Their bright colors will throw him off, too.

I think pygmy cories are an excellent idea! That way Draw can still have his tank seeing the cories usually drift around the bottom. For the sand, I would wrap panty hose or something along the intake or perhaps use an aquarium sponge. Then once the sand settles and you turn on the filter, you'll have minimal disruptance and sand being sucked into the filter.

Good luck!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 01:45 PM   #35 
vaygirl

I agree. Leave him to himself. Don't think he won't go after corys. Tango did and he had to be moved out of my 16. The corys can also be SUPER zippy fast. They drove Tango up a wall.

If you don't mind returning them if it goes bad, then have at it! I'd just hate to see you go to all that trouble with adding sand and then have to return the corys anyway. Drax sounds extremely territorial. Even at his worst Tango never took a bite out of anything.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 01:59 PM   #36 
Neil D

i had cardinal tetras and my bettas didnt bother them, but they bothered him. THey kept nipping his fins *sigh*
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 02:03 PM   #37 
laughing

I want dwarf pea puffers, but I am concerned they might take my Betta's fins off. O.o it is kind of 50/50 on whether they will or not. :/

Excuse for another tank? I think so! ^^
Old 05-29-2011, 02:08 PM   #38 
vaygirl

Dwarf pea puffers are like lil chainsaws. I wouldn't put them with anything. Lil chainsaws! They need 5 gallons so yeah, excuse for a new tank!
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 02:24 PM   #39 
laughing

I was thinking 10 gallon with about 4-5 of them. Hehe. :3

People just say they are intelligent, cute, and interesting. And, one inch?! Too cute!

Some say they live peacefully, some don't. I say NOT WORTH THE RISK!
Old 05-29-2011, 02:39 PM   #40 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

My mother got a puffer once... she named it after my father. It attacked everything in the community tank. Before I could intervine, she flushed him!!! 0_0

Ummm... she flushed the fish... not my father... but anyway...

Puffers aren't community fish...
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote