Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-28-2011, 11:12 PM   #1 
DeadMemories92

I'm so upset. Thanks Walmart.

So... my boyfriend and I went to the movies tonight and then to Walmart which ended up with me buying a poor helpless betta fish that literally was living in PURE FILTH. The only male betta on the shelf was left alone, nobody to care for him and nobody would buy him because of what his water looked like. I bought him because I knew he would be a dumpster fish before next week. I'm worried though, because every fish I have bought from Walmart has died from that Cotton disease so I'm unsure of how to handle him even though he's showing no symptoms (yet).

He's still a young little fellow and I haven't named him yet. But I have some photos of what he looked like when I bought him. Someone had poured like 20 grains of this "orangish" looking food into his cup. He would not breathe hardly, he wouldn't move. He just sat there. I thought he was dead at first. When I changed the water about 5 minutes ago. I had to do a double water change to get the nastiness out of the tank. The smell from the cup literally made me gag. I had to cover my nose. Poor guy. He seems happier now but I hope he doesn't die. So I'm not exposing him to my other bettas in their split tank.

Before:

AFTER:

Sorry for the low quality guys! I'll upload a better one later. I put him in my emergency tank because honestly, it was an emergency. The little guy is SO much happier now. I'll add him in with my 3 other bettas in the split tank if he doesn't show any signs of illness within the next 3 months or doesn't die (praying!!). He's also flared at Slayer from across the tanks. ;D <3
DeadMemories92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:17 PM   #2 
laughing

Wow... Could you even guess what color he was in the cup, or was it total surprise?
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:20 PM   #3 
AngelicScars

Yikes! That is just nasty water. I hope he makes it!
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:20 PM   #4 
DeadMemories92

Honestly, I knew he was red by holding him into the light, but he has specks of whitish/baby blue in his back fins and I didn't find that out until I put him in fresh water. He's beautiful. He doesn't even have fin-rot. He has done nothing but swim around and flare at my older bettas in their big tank. Not adding him until I know for SURE he's not diseased or sick (might be about 3-4 months). But he's in a little half gallon tank right now which is perfect for him until he gets a little bigger because he's just a baby.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:25 PM   #5 
trono

That's bloody awful. Glad he got put into a good home.
trono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:33 PM   #6 
DeadMemories92

Yeah, I know. I was horrified and what made it worse was the smell. Thinking about it makes me sick. He's not eating right now but then again if I had to live in filth for days and days I don't think I would either. lol
Old 05-28-2011, 11:45 PM   #7 
Arashi Takamine

That poor betta! I'm so glad you saved him! Whoever let him get that bad is awful. He's so pretty too!
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:47 PM   #8 
DeadMemories92

Thanks! And yes, he's gorgeous. I'm praying that he doesn't get some kind of disease like my past Walmart bettas have had and died. He's a fairly young one and I haven't bought a Walmart betta since January-Early Feb. so maybe I'm in luck!
Old 05-28-2011, 11:48 PM   #9 
Luimeril

was he their last one? poor baby. D: that water LOOKs like it smells like.... x: bleh. it looks greasy. D: i'm glad you got him! poor baby was living in a septic tank!
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:49 PM   #10 
nowzem

OMGosh..poor boy..so happy he gets clean water!! I think its VERY wise to hold off on putting him in your main tank, too. <3 Good luck!
nowzem is offline   Reply With Quote