Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-29-2011, 01:14 AM   #1 
roypattonphoto

UGG! The Fight Against Algae

so since ive got the new HM and a snail, my 5gal hex, has had an issue with Green Algae....

its just the standard gree that grows on the glass, i thought i got rid of it last water change, i scrubed the sides with hot water and an aquarium sponge, and then today at feeding i noticed the slight green algae growth on the front part of the tank...

i threw away all the old decor, still same gravel but was washed in hot water reall good,

my next idea is a small Moss ball to rob the nutrients from the nutrients that feed the algae growth, however the balls can get large and its only a 5g hex.....

HELP!
roypattonphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 02:34 AM   #2 
Gizmothefreaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by roypattonphoto View Post
so since ive got the new HM and a snail, my 5gal hex, has had an issue with Green Algae....

its just the standard gree that grows on the glass, i thought i got rid of it last water change, i scrubed the sides with hot water and an aquarium sponge, and then today at feeding i noticed the slight green algae growth on the front part of the tank...

i threw away all the old decor, still same gravel but was washed in hot water reall good,

my next idea is a small Moss ball to rob the nutrients from the nutrients that feed the algae growth, however the balls can get large and its only a 5g hex.....

HELP!
I dont know how to get the algae to go away, lol, but i do know that Marimo balls grow VERY slowly... It would take YEARS for the ball to be too big for that tank, and i am talking like... ten years here. seriously. Very slow growers.
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:57 AM   #3 
Tisia

I think you can also break them apart and form smaller ones, though I think that involves a lot of rolling them around until they actually make a circle again
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:15 AM   #4 
roypattonphoto

bump anyone else?
Old 05-29-2011, 02:30 PM   #5 
turtle10

Why don't you get like two moss balls then?
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:47 PM   #6 
roypattonphoto

so i gave up , i purchased a new 10g tank kit, w/ a full spectrum light made by Aqueon or whatever their name is, put in new gravel decor and everything, mask has went from being solid white to black and red over a few day time period while dealing with that other tank, im hoping its just stress over the water issues i was having, ive got him in the new tank now and he seems to be more lively and has lightened up a little bit..

i really hope that he goes back to being solid white, i dunno, kinda looks like these are his colors coming out..
Old 06-01-2011, 04:28 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

It is normal and expected to have algae in any container of water that also has light and nutrients.......however, since its a closed system it has to be controlled and this is part of the hobbyist job.....you can limit some of the algae by balancing the little ecosystem you created......but, you still will have to make regular manual removal on a weekly basis.......some algae can be a good sign of a healthy system and it can also help the tank look more natural by softening the edges, algae left on the non-viewing walls, decoration...etc.... can provide a grazing area for livestock kept in the tank...even the Betta....they feed on the microorganisms that colonize in the algae...not enough to sustain them...but a nice little snack none the less....lol......so...embrace the algae, balance the system and make weekly manual removal on viewing areas....cause it just going to come back even in the 10gal....you don't want to try and create a too sterile environment its not healthy.......a healthy system that supports life needs a little algae......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:06 PM   #8 
iheartmybettas

I am right there with you! I just did some major scrubbing this weekend of several of my tanks that have had algae outbreaks. Scrubbed the tank walls, the decor, and disturbed the gravel that had some on it then changed the water. It was a pain but it happens. It will come back. Our huge tanks over 100 gallons get algae. We just have to scrub them down before a water change.

The 2 mystery snail in my divided 10 gallon have green shells even though I finally got a handle on the algae in the tank itself. Lol!

Good luck!
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:07 PM   #9 
roypattonphoto

i have a hard time beleiving that the betta enjoys the algae ... my betta went stress to the max, when the outbreak came back after the 2nd cleaning, my HM went to almost a complete black color with red spots stressed to the max,... since last night after being put into the new tank he has lightened up and the black is starting to go away and turning to his orig color..he still has some black on him, but not as bad as it was last night... and i imagine over the next few days he will get back to his orig near clear self...

a lil algae i can go along with... however when its outbreak and on the glass like a stain , and its got a THICK layer on all decor, i cant go along with that, its not right and not healthy and when its stressing the betta out, its time to go ... u should see what the inside of my new filter and filter housing looked like... i was like WOAH ! and it all happened with in a week period ...

i think i figured out the prob though, my other heater was not working correctly and the water was sitting at 82* constantly and i think the heat + algae wafer + Snails just added fuel and air to the spark ...
Old 06-01-2011, 07:58 PM   #10 
copperarabian

If you have a very large tank(or a friend with a large tank) you could move it to after I would buy a small pleco, let it hang out for a few weeks and clean everything up. Whenever I've had Plecos I don't have any algae at all in my aquariums.

Once all the decorations, gravel and some of the glass where a dark green and I bought a royal pleco who turned the gravel blue again, and the decorations became colorful. I was just a little kid then, and I think I killed the poor Pleco not knowing it needed drift wood and specific water conditions :(
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote