Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-29-2011, 01:48 AM   #1 
Blaze54

Question Snail Questions

Sorry if this is in the wrong category, there's no "snail" forum. So I have this gallon bowl, and I have been told (by someone on the site, not a pet-store worker) that I could put a snail in there,feed it algae wafers (or have a live plant) and it would be fine. Is this true? And if so would a black or blue mystery snail be ok? And what %age of water should I change a week? I'm going to PetSmart Monday and I might get one. Thx!
Blaze54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 05:48 AM   #2 
ollief9

Yes, this is fine. I would recommend a hardy live plant such as Anacharis for the snail(s) to graze on. Mystery snails would work fine, however if you decide to get an Apple Snail, these are messy and need daily water changes. A couple of mystery snails need an 80% water change every other day. This is not difficult as a 1 gallon bowl isn't exactly big.
Algae wafers are a good staple food, however you can supplement it's diet with blanched vegetables such as microwaved cucumber (my apple snail's favourite).
I actually considered doing this a few weeks ago, however was not allowed by my parents.
ollief9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:22 AM   #3 
callmeconfused

Most places recommend 2.5 gallons per brigg (or apple snail/mystery snail), because they have such a high bioload. If you are willing to do the water changes it could work in a 1 gallon, though. Oh, and you will need to feed it algae tabs or snello (veggie baby food and unflavored gelatin) because they won't eat plants unless they are dead. I have tons of them, and they will only eat the dead leaves off of the plants.

(Edit: Forgot to mention that they breathe air from the surface, so make sure they have access to it. Also, they can and usually will try to leave the bowl at some point. They can survive outside of water for several weeks, so keep a lid on the bowl, with holes to keep fresh air available.)

They REALLY love algae tablets, though. Here is my boy Jules when he was a wee lad.

Last edited by callmeconfused; 05-29-2011 at 09:26 AM.
callmeconfused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 02:49 PM   #4 
Blaze54

I'm not doing an Apple, I was thinking of a Blue or Black. Also if I did an Anacharis. Does it need anything special?(Fertilizer etc.)
Old 05-29-2011, 04:19 PM   #5 
Blaze54

Oh yeah, and. Would it have to be cycled? I'm using Prime, would that be good?
Old 05-29-2011, 04:45 PM   #6 
callmeconfused

Apple snails, mystery snails, and pomacea bridgesii(briggs) are the same snail, they're just called different names. They can get to be golf-ball sized.

I'm not sure a 1 gallon bowl will cycle.

Anacharis will grow as long as it is submerged in water and has some light.
Old 05-29-2011, 04:50 PM   #7 
Blaze54

Ok I'm probably going to try it! Thx to all who replied!
Old 05-29-2011, 05:06 PM   #8 
callmeconfused

Good luck! Oh, if you have an air pump you can use, I recommend you use it. My snails like to climb up on it, collect the air under their shells, float up, then release the air and surf down.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:53 PM   #9 
Tisia

make sure it's covered too, heard of few stories of them crawling out and cracking open their shells >_<
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:13 PM   #10 
alidawn15

Also make sure you give them food with calcium in it and/or calcium in another form. Cuttlebone for birds broken up into smaller chunks is cheap and works fine.
alidawn15 is offline   Reply With Quote