Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-29-2011, 12:51 AM   #1 
Genesis

Do bettas change colors?

I think I recall reading somewhere that if a betta is stressed, it may change colors? Or even when moved to a new home?

I got Genesis nearly a week ago now, and in the past week, he has gone from this on his second day here, to this just this afternoon. The black on his fins is not finrot, I'm pretty sure. It hasn't progressed at all since I first suspected it was.

Is this normal? I just want to make sure I have nothing to worry about. Sorry for the likely dumb question. D:

Also, I JUST realized... Genesis is not as red as I thought. In fact, he's looking rather orange in that new picture. I had no idea he would turn orange! @.@
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 01:58 AM   #2 
squal90

i think that you just got a "marble fish" they change color overtime and is not a disease . i read it somewhere so dont believe me yet lol.. who can support my idea?lol
squal90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 02:06 AM   #3 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by squal90 View Post
i think that you just got a "marble fish" they change color overtime and is not a disease . i read it somewhere so dont believe me yet lol.. who can support my idea?lol
Being a Marble... is normal.
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:42 AM   #4 
Genesis

I don't think he's a marble. xD
Old 05-29-2011, 10:40 AM   #5 
Lion Mom

I think his "true" colors are coming out from good care! :)
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 12:47 PM   #6 
Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Mom View Post
I think his "true" colors are coming out from good care! :)
So they DO do that? alright, thank you! c:
Old 05-29-2011, 01:35 PM   #7 
turtle10

Some bettas change colors, and those are marbles. What I think happened to your guy is that he is now in good conditions and is able to fully show off his colors and fins. I definitely see an improvement from the first photo to the second. He just looks generally happier in the second picture, his fins are open and everything. He must have a good owner :)
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 05:38 PM   #8 
Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle10 View Post
Some bettas change colors, and those are marbles. What I think happened to your guy is that he is now in good conditions and is able to fully show off his colors and fins. I definitely see an improvement from the first photo to the second. He just looks generally happier in the second picture, his fins are open and everything. He must have a good owner :)
Thank you!
I don't think he was a fan of the little bowl he was in before. He showed a huge improvement in activity once I moved him over to a bigger tank. Even more of an improvement once I gave him a little plastic plant--he's made a bubble nest all around it, and I've checked on him a few times to find him just sitting in it, asleep.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:30 PM   #9 
turtle10

Aww :)

Yeah bettas LOVE plants and hiding within the leaves. You should get him a few more to make it extra forest-y for him.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:02 AM   #10 
Genesis

I'm actually planning on making a stop at petsmart this week.
Going to pick him up a few decorations, look into a heater (he's currently unheated, but his water has been 72-80 the past few days, due to the weather) because I'm not sure about the one we have. And definitely picking him up some more of these plants he loves so much. XD