Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-03-2011, 12:40 AM   #21 
gmd1800

That's really interesting.

Is there any instances of chickens that have been raised naturally (that is, no steroids) while caged? I want to eat as naturally as possible this coming year, so I'm open to ideas and options!
gmd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:50 AM   #22 
laughing

@Lola- it is great for you to have values like that. I do have to disagree on your fact part, talk to any nutritionist or doctor and they will tell you some meat in your diet is very good for you. Being completely vegan can be destructive of your body over time unless you know an exact diet. You will have to find protein in other forms like soy. It is possible to be healthy totally vegan but you are going to have to be careful and be sure to supplement your diet.

I am proud of many of you for being vegan/vegetarian, it does take a lot of control!

Personally, I think we aren't 'harming' the animals when done properly. It is corporate companies that are putting a bad name. Not all farms are like this!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:55 AM   #23 
laughing

Yes again GMD! Many restrictions have been placed on what can be fed to our chickens (and other meat animals). There are actually formula feeds now giving the chickens optimal growth and nutrition based on scientific studies.

Corporal chicken meat raising farms are the worst. Say NO to Tyson! As well as their 'sisters' which aren't, rather just BRANCHES that Tyson owns but puts them under different labels for you to think, "hey they're better!" And trick you into thinking they're not so corporate when they really are Tyson.

Look for local chicken-raisers. They are less likely to use steroids/other hormones in their feeds. Also, go to your grocery store, write down some brands, then go home and research them all to find the best one. There are TONS of videos about meat farms. Research is very vital to get accurate information rather jumping along with everyone else!
Old 06-03-2011, 12:58 AM   #24 
laughing

Oh, also, chicken houses are completely electronic. So when outside, storms completely took them out and made them uncomfortable. Indoors they control the temperature and humidity very well. They are in great conditions while in these cages.

Personally, the biggest thing I hate about the cages is that they are often cramped. I wish they'd give them a bit more space in there then id be satisfied!
Old 06-03-2011, 01:04 AM   #25 
laughing

"Free range";

http://advocacy.britannica.com/blog/...chickens-4.jpg

Grocery stores and companies try and paint a picture of chickens over 20 acres running around in sunshine all joyful but that isn't true. Most chicken raisers for meat are packed-in like that. It is the "norm". But as I said, there are many small farm raisers that allow their chickens to have space. Unfortunately, these farms are going under due to lack of customers and consumers.

Seriously check out local!
Old 06-03-2011, 05:24 AM   #26 
ollief9

I'm a meat lover.
YUMYUMYUM YUM!!!

Name:  Buffalo Chicken wings.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  37.4 KB
ollief9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:16 AM   #27 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Thanks everyone... that was very educational about the chickens... :)
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:40 AM   #28 
laughing

Love the pic, Ollie! Yum!

Here Fishy, I am admittably an agricultural nerd.. ha! I love it ^^ As far as I am concerned large chain grocery stores partner with terrible meat producers giving you the 'free ranges image cause they charge more for it you believing the chicken you are eating has less additives ans a better life when it isn't true!

I feel there are many ways to humanely raise all kinda of meats. Unfortunately, we are not funding the local farmer! They are dwindling away. We import so many foods now when we can successfully, responsibly, and morally raise all meat animals.

Chickens grow so much faster now due to generic breeding. The past 100 years we have sped up their growing process to be fully grown in less than 25 weeks... less than 6 months! We are constantly improving them through selective breeding. As well, we have improved where they are carrying their meat for ultimate production. I mean, I feel the way we are going, we can fund for more research in breeding and nutrition to get the kind of chickens we are now minus all the feed additives... not to mention, chickens are coming in and leaving so fast because they are being processed at about 5 months. If we had 10 'local' chicken farmers in each state raising humanely, producing 200 chickens at a time, each 6 months we could have 2000 chickens per state. Which isn't a lot, but if we keep advancements, we can get chickens to reach sexual maturity in 3 months... 12000 chickens per year... giving the farmers more land and space as well as keeping the chickens safe we can also give the farmers about 20 acres a piece for 500 chickens... 20000 chickens a year... and that is just 10 local farmers!

There is a way to produce animals humanely, just not a way for 5 cent wings anymore! Haha!

As well, dairy raising is becoming much more humane and effective. Like c'mon, it is easy to do, but we love buying cheap chicken, milk, beef, pork, etc that it is major companies that AREN'T farmers but rather corporate companies controlling the industries. So therefore we get that super cheap 'deal' when their conditions are horrendous.

I am all for meat eating, it is a natural part of the world, but I would really like to make conditions better for all captive raised animals. Even the SEA KITTIES! ;)
Old 06-03-2011, 12:57 PM   #29 
newf

I am mostly vegan. I do eat chicken or fish on occasion, but not a lot of red meats. Never have. My family comes from a long line of fishermen, so that's what we were raised eating mostly.
newf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:38 PM   #30 
LolaQuigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughing View Post
@Lola- it is great for you to have values like that. I do have to disagree on your fact part, talk to any nutritionist or doctor and they will tell you some meat in your diet is very good for you. Being completely vegan can be destructive of your body over time unless you know an exact diet. You will have to find protein in other forms like soy. It is possible to be healthy totally vegan but you are going to have to be careful and be sure to supplement your diet.

I am proud of many of you for being vegan/vegetarian, it does take a lot of control!

Personally, I think we aren't 'harming' the animals when done properly. It is corporate companies that are putting a bad name. Not all farms are like this!
I have spoken to my doctor about it and she says a vegetarian diet is perfectly healthy. A vegetarian diet can still provide every single vitamin and nutrient the human body needs, and is often lower in saturated fats and cholesterol than an omnivorous diet. Here is a good article from the American Heart Association about vegetarian diets. I'm not saying meat is necessarily bad for people, but it is not an essential component to a healthy lifestyle.

I agree that it is trickier for vegans, but it's still not that difficult. Protein actually isn't hard for vegans...beans, soy, and nuts all have quite a bit. The harder nutrients are vitamins B and D, but you can easily find fortified breads, soy milk, and cereals that have these vitamins.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote