Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-17-2011, 11:38 PM   #1 
iheartmybettas

I give up on HMs!

I have 4 HMs and 3 out of the 4 are tailbitters. 1 of them isn't as bad but the other 2 have just demolished themselves. I think I am done with them. From now on I will only get one of the other tail types. HMs have always been my favorite in terms of sheer looks but this is ridiculous! They absolutely ruin their beauty and stress me out trying to make sure they dont get fin rot. Aaaaahhhhhh!!! Thanks for listening! End rant...
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:46 PM   #2 
nowzem

LOL. I feel your pain :) My first expensive HM betta is a friggin tail biter. I wanted to breed him, too, so :P on him!! <3
nowzem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:12 AM   #3 
iheartmybettas

Haha! You could still breed him since he still has good genes! :)

I got a pearl white HM for mothers day from my local LFS that was imported from tialand. He ripped himself good while I was out of town for 2 days. That is what has sent me over the edge. Lol!
Old 05-18-2011, 10:14 AM   #4 
PitGurl

I feel your pain. Most the HM's I've owned have been tailbitters . No matter what I did they still munched on their beautiful fins. I think the extra weight of all that finnage is an issue. Wendigo my Super Delta has behaved himself far but he's young and still growing, keeping my fingers crossed.

Last edited by PitGurl; 05-18-2011 at 10:18 AM.
PitGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:00 AM   #5 
LolaQuigs

Yes, my halfmoon is also a biter, so frustrating! And to make things even worse, I got a beautiful new hmdt last week, and I think he's biting too! I'm ready to give up.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:02 PM   #6 
Luimeril

>3< Ichi, my MG delta, started tail nipping. thanks to my knowledge of tail issues, i know exactly why he's doing it, and how to nip it in the bud. :3
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:30 PM   #7 
Dragonlady

It sounds like something was stressing your bettas out . Poor guys! Halfmoon bettas are higher maintenance than other tail types. Rosetails are the most prone to fin rot... even in perfect care.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:34 PM   #8 
bettafish15

Thats why I'll only ever get HMPK's :P
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:57 PM   #9 
iheartmybettas

I'm not sure what could be stressing them out. My first tail biter was fine for a long time and then I get home from work one day and he practically bit his caudal of and most of his dorsal. I have changed water, moved decor, added decor, taken decor out. It doesn't help. Fortunately he hasn't ever gotten fin rot.

My new white HM did it while I was out of town this last weekend. He could have been stressed from me being gone for 2 days. I moved him from a 2 gallon to a 5 gallon last night so hopefully he will quit it. And I am watching him closely for any sign of fin rot.

The 3rd did it once about a 2 months ago and I'm pretty sure hasn't done it again. He was in a smaller tank then and I immediately upgraded him and added lots of decor and plants to explore.

I knew this was pretty common but am glad to hear other peoples problems with it. I hate that anyone has to deal with it but an glad to hear other stories.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:14 PM   #10 
gmd1800

I read on another forum (Ultimate Bettas, maybe?) that since HMs are bred selectively for their tail type and now for colors, they have a more nervous disposition. I dunno if that's for sure, but it's something worth looking into!

I know my HM is quite a nervous/spastic guy. I wouldn't be surprised if he has some mental issues, but he's cute anyway. It's endearing. :)
gmd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote