Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-29-2011, 03:29 PM   #1 
paws

Betta Having Trouble Swimming Down?

I was observing Harold (the Betta fish) and I noticed that he had a much harder time swimming down than up. He seemed to float up easily but swimming down is harder to do. He has been in the tank for around 3 weeks which I would of cycled if I had of known my sister was bringing home her science experiment (the explanation for this is in the thread, Betta Fish and it's written by Paws). So I didn't have time to. But he is eating, building bubble nest, and seems happy. Just seemed odd.
paws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 06:38 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Need some more information...

How big is the tank, how much and how often are the water changes and when was the last one, water temp, filter, live plants, additives, appetite and amount and type of food...any other symptoms and how long has he been doing this and is it all the time......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:11 PM   #3 
paws

He is in a 10 gallon. I do 10% water changes everyday and 50% a week. The last one was this morning. Water temp is 79. Has a filter, a Whisper Tetra. He is eats flakes. 1 eveyday, Tetra Min. Water conditioner is He has been doing it since he was been in the tank. I don't think it's serious because he can swim down it just looks like it's more difficult for him. It's probably just me. :)
Old 05-29-2011, 09:13 PM   #4 
Neil D

R u sure ur not just being paranoid? I did that too and still do haha
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:54 PM   #5 
paws

Yeah probably! Haha. Silly me.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:22 PM   #6 
turtle10

He could have swim bladder disorder, bettas should never float to the top. Also, just one flake? That is very little I would definitely feed at least 2 flakes twice a day. And the daily water changes are unnecessary. Just do two 50% water changes while the tank is cycling, and if it already cycled just do one 50% per week. You will need a liquid test kit to know if your tank is cycled (it will do it, no matter what, that is why you need the test kit to monitor the chemical levels of the cycle).
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:22 PM   #7 
TheCrysCat

I agree with what Turtle said about the SBD thing. Is this betta by any chance a double tail? They're especially prone to it, but any betta can get it. I'd dose him with epsom salt (1 tsp per gallon) and maybe fast him for a day.
TheCrysCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:35 PM   #8 
paws

What's a double tail? I can try the espom salt. I keep looking at him and he is always floating up sideways to the right. He tries to rest up against the tank but he has to move every few seconds from floating up completely.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:36 PM   #9 
Neil D

Google Doubletail betta. Or find the betta tail types thread. Its a sticky
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:50 PM   #10 
paws

Ok. It's gotten a lot worse (I haven't put in the salt yet but i will tomorrow). Harold can't even swim right now. He has to swim side ways. He isn't a double tail Betta. Would living in amazingly gross water do this to him? He used to live in water like this for around 8 months. He is in my care now so no more of that. Do you think it is a case of SBD?