Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-31-2011, 08:50 PM   #11 
paws

But i don't think it would be that because he developed this when i got him.
paws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:58 PM   #12 
TheCrysCat

I'd say, from personal expirience, it definitely is SBD. I don't know if dirty water could be a cause... but you said he wasn't fed for eight months, right? So his body probably isn't used to food. I'd still say fast him for a day or two, with the salts, and see if he goes back to normal. Also, try to soak any of his foods that are dry, because dry foods can cause my fish to get SBD.
TheCrysCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:08 PM   #13 
paws

ok! that sounds good. Probably is the food because I feed flakes that are dry. Good to know it's curable!
so to get rid of it:
1 tsp of espom salts . should I change the water like normal during that period or leave it?
fast for 2-3 days.

-sounds good!
Old 05-31-2011, 09:14 PM   #14 
TheCrysCat

I'd move him into a 1 gallon for now if you can, to make dosing easier. Change the water every day. It's 1 tsp epsom salt per gallon, and 2 tsp per gallon if it hasn't gone away for three days. I'd say fast him for one day after he starts being floaty, and when you feed him try to stick to frozen foods or soaked pellets. I'd also say to keep him in the salt solution for maybe a day after he starts eating, but that's your call. Keep us updated.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:58 PM   #15 
paws

Ok. I set up his hospital tank for tomorrow. Jw. If it's not treated will he die?
Old 05-31-2011, 10:01 PM   #16 
TheCrysCat

I've heard of fish dying of it, but it hasn't happened to me. Supposedly, yes. Oh, and another important thing: if he isn't cured in 10 days (which he should be) discontinue the salt treatment.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:20 PM   #17 
paws

Ok! My sister brought home another Betta fish she saved from her school and it has even worse swim bladder than Harold so I am treating the new one first. But it is all set up now! Should i put in more espom salts each day or is what i put in now fine?
Old 06-01-2011, 07:41 PM   #18 
TheCrysCat

How big of a container are you putting them in? If it's a one gallon, you should be changing the water and replacing it with new every day. If you're not doing that, then you shouldn't just keep adding salt.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:52 PM   #19 
paws

He's in a 1/2 gallon. I didn't have a 1 gallon on hand. I will make sure to change the water everyday.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:54 PM   #20 
TheCrysCat

Yes, especially in a half gal. It's an ok hospital tank, though. Meanwhile, for the other fish, I'd recommend just fasting him. If it's a food thing, that should help.