Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-21-2011, 10:47 PM   #1 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

*Toy Land*

The purpose of this thread is to suggest and review various potential toys to keep our curious betta friends mentally exercised!

Bettas are naturally curious... as many of the betta owners on the forum know very well. We've had bettas swim up filter outflows (waterfall style) and into the filters. We have bettas who hang on filter intakes for fun (they seem to like the suction). We've had many unfortunate bettas who have stuck their heads into the drainage holes of terra cotta pot!

We want our bettas to have fun, but we want it to be safe as possible. So what toys do you suggest?

First toy of the list... ping pong ball! Small, light, non-toxic, no sharp edges and easy to clean.

Next?
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:55 PM   #2 
Nexangelus

I once saw a video of a guy who bent a pipe cleaner into a circle and had his betta "swim through the hoops" like some kind of circus performer. Of course, pipe cleaners have that fuzz, so they're not realistic for long-term use, but I'm sure it could be replicated with something else.

The only other thing that comes to mind is snails, but they're not exactly a toy. Pretty much all my bettas have found endless enjoyment knocking baby snails off of the glass.

Curious to see what other people say....
Nexangelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:58 PM   #3 
xMandy

This one?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ViVXMM0zsQ
xMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:31 PM   #4 
pinksnowme

Oh I like this thread!
I got my Blizzard addicted to marbles!
Hubby and I roll them on the dining table back and forth for him to swim to
It happened by accident. Blizzard had a bowl full of decorative sea glass when I brought him home. I knew he could get stuck or gouged on one of the shards, but I hadn't gotten any safe stones yet. So hubby offered his marble collection and set it on the table. Blizzard got so excited. So we tried rolling one. He loved it. Then I found some stones in a long forgotten 5gal tank in the garage. I st these out for him to examine. He loved those too! I put them in his bowl with the next change but I wasn't too happy with the color mixture. So I went out and bought some green stones and set those out. Now I think he is expecting new marbles at every water change! I left some large flat clear stones on the table as well as a Pet Shop Aquarium set. He loves to watch the Nemo slide down the ramp and get angry if the table shakes and knocks the fishy down.
Lastly I found these awesome glitter gel clings at the Big Lots store here. They are like removable stickers for windows I stuck a few on his bowl. I see him playing hide and seek behind them once in a while. :)
Here is a thread I posted about making a Blizzard Wonderland
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=73003
Attached Images

pinksnowme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:36 AM   #5 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinksnowme View Post
I got my Blizzard addicted to marbles!
Now I think he is expecting new marbles at every water change!
There is certainly nothing wrong with 'changing up' toys. I think toys are even more effective when they 'come and go'... more stimulating for the betta.

In the wild, things are constantly changing... different weather, light, critters, bugs, etc...
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:42 PM   #6 
Littlebittyfish

I use my makeup compact mirror ..I hang it over the top of the tank for a little bit..they like it.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:41 AM   #7 
PewPewPew

I like suddenly jumping out at my fish and wiggling around in front of the tank...

Hey man dont judge D;

Alle gets mad but soars around the tank and begins to play after he chills out for hours, and Baller... Well, he just gets all kinds of excited and waits for taps on the glass to follow. (He's...interesting, lol)

I like to keep my driftwood on a weird angle securely placed against the tank's walls sometimes, so they have a new place to swim through. I just move it against a new wall, and its like a made a new continent or something- like theyve never seen it before lol! Silly guys.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:06 AM   #8 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexangelus View Post
I once saw a video of a guy who bent a pipe cleaner into a circle and had his betta "swim through the hoops" like some kind of circus performer. Of course, pipe cleaners have that fuzz, so they're not realistic for long-term use, but I'm sure it could be replicated with something else.

The only other thing that comes to mind is snails, but they're not exactly a toy. Pretty much all my bettas have found endless enjoyment knocking baby snails off of the glass.

Curious to see what other people say....
http://www.amazon.com/R2-Fish-School...8823527&sr=1-1

A pipe cleaner is way cheaper than this. ^_^ I bet a bangle bracelet would work, too. I haven't tried it with my guys, not enough space and I think they' just end up nibbling on it to see if it was edible.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:30 AM   #9 
Arashi Takamine

Well everything in the AQ is all meant for them...Kai's favorite 'toy' is his dragon. I wanna get him something else to keep him busy.

I heard someone used the sections of a hamster maze as a toy for their betta's.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:30 AM   #10 
kif3

eeheheheheheee XDDD fish school kit XD that just made me laugh though im sure it could work :3 especially if someone if crazy about sport XD.

just placing in different coloured stones seems to work for me too, i put in a pink one and my fishie just loved to swim over and have a bit of eyeing off at it XD
kif3 is offline   Reply With Quote