Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-30-2011, 02:50 PM   #11 
Oldfishlady

Yes, any clean, clear bare bottom container will work for QT...I use duct tape to attach it to the side of the heated tank so it doesn't sink or get knocked around by the filter....

The flashing on the first day may have been in response to the source water...the water filter changes one Ion for another that is hard on the fish....can you get water from an outside tap that is not hooked up to the water filter...if so, be sure and test that water too and see if it has nitrate in it.....what was the ammonia reading on the source water btw....

At this point-I would leave him in his tank and turn off the filter for now-maintain the water temp in the 76-77F range and start 50% water only changes with dechlorinated tap water from another source to bypass the filtration system...be sure the new water is within a couple of degrees in temp so not to cause temp shock problems and always use dechlorinated with any water added........

What kind of dechlorinator are you using now.....

How are the shrimp...still alive.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 03:35 PM   #12 
tjoshae

Ooh I never thought of using the outside tap. I will try that. Whoever lived in this house before us did some strange set ups. I won't even get into the strange placements of outlets.

The ammonium rating was 0 ppm.

I can pull the water from outside and what I did today was put water from inside it in its container with plastic wrap (with holes) and left it outside to warm. When i checked the temp it was right at 78 so it was perfect.

I'll do it again with the water from the outside for tonight's change and see if that helps. I'll turn off the filter, turn down the heater (i have him at 80) and shower him with love and good thoughts.

I had the betta conditioner with the aloe but in all the frantic "oh my god be ok thoughts" I misplaced it (I'm so failing as a mom). I went out to get more and all they had in was the Aqueon betta bowl plus.

Should I be adding Aquarium salt as well or hold off on it for now? I had 1/2 teaspoon in the tank the first day. I just did a 1/2 water change but I didn't add any salt, just the conditioner.

As for the shrimp, Marco Polo is fine. He's only upset because he didn't know what he was getting into by hitching a ride. Abernathy is still interested in him but not to nip, more like a "hey who are you?" He hasn't chased the shrimp, only checked him out.

Thank you so much for all of your help. I will keep you updated.
tjoshae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 03:59 PM   #13 
tjoshae

Tested outside tap.
pH: 7.6
Amm: 0.25
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate:5.0ppm
Old 05-30-2011, 04:01 PM   #14 
Oldfishlady

Sounds like a plan...I asked about the shrimp because they are a great indicator of water quality especially too high of nitrate...which is something you want and expect to see with an established nitrogen cycle-but you still want to keep the nitrate 20ppm or lower...

Don't change source waters too fast...you want to do small amounts at a time so you don't shock the fish with large chemistry changes......

Salt is fine when used in correct dosage, duration and reason...you don't want to use it long term.......

Unless you are on well water-you have to use a dechlorinator with any water added to the fish for the chlorine and chloramine used to treat water with city water supply even with filtration systems.......

Keep us posted.....

Edit-with ammonia in the source water...I would recommend "Prime" by Seachem as your dechlorinator
Old 05-30-2011, 04:26 PM   #15 
tjoshae

I'll keep you updated and I'll also get some Prime. I will leave him tonight and see where we are tomorrow.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:33 AM   #16 
tjoshae

I tested the water last night before I went to bed and the readings were almost the same as the outside tap water readings:
pH: 7.6
Amm: 0.25
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate:5.0ppm

I only had the one change yesterday which was 50%. Last night he was doing a lot of swimming against the glass like he was trying to get out.

This mornings update. His temp is 78, I turned down the heater a smidge again before I left so hopefully it will drop to the 76-77 range. He's now hiding behind the filter even though its off. I offered him one pellet of food and after swimming around it for 3 minutes he finally ate it and then swam back to his hiding place. I didn't test the water because I was late for work but I will be stopping on my way home and getting the prime that OFL recommended.

OFL - Should I do another water change? Perhaps only a 5th (which would be a gallon) or should I just leave well enough alone?
Old 05-31-2011, 02:00 PM   #17 
Oldfishlady

If he is still hiding, glass surfing or water prams show ammonia or nitrite 0.25ppm or greater...I would make a 50% water only change and use the Prime for the full volume of the tank not just the replacement water....remember-with Prime you may still see ammonia reading usually for 24h after using it-but it is ammonium the safe form of ammonia...
Old 05-31-2011, 10:03 PM   #18 
tjoshae

I made the change and slowly (as in over 2 hours) acclimated him to the cleaned tank. His fins seem to be opening a bit more so hes not so clamped. He's no longer glass surfacing and just doing a lot of resting. I'm sure he was in a bit of shock. He has no interest in food as far as putting in his mouth. He will stalk it around the tank curling up around it but no bites.

Should I continue with the Prime formula above while I do changes and how often should those be? Should I wait until he's better before thinking about cleaning out the filter and trying again?