Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-29-2011, 11:39 PM   #1 
SilverMagic

Is this true?

I can't remember the website I found this information on but it said that bettas cannot thrive on pellets alone. I currently feed my betta Hirarki betta pellets and freeze dried bloodworms. The reason I'm reluctant to buy frozen brine shrimp is because it doesn't float, that means it has a higher chance of polluting the water if my betta doesn't eat it before it sinks.
SilverMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:51 PM   #2 
cadi731

I don't think it's true. My betta's been around for almost a year now, healthy as can be, and he's only ever been fed pellets. Nothing else.
cadi731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:56 PM   #3 
Sakura8

They can SURVIVE on pellets alone and do perfectly fine but like all fish, they THRIVE on livefoods (frozen or freeze-dried being the next best substitute for live). Not feeding your betta freeze-dried bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp etc. isn't a problem really unless you're trying to condition your betta for breeding.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:02 AM   #4 
SilverMagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
They can SURVIVE on pellets alone and do perfectly fine but like all fish, they THRIVE on livefoods (frozen or freeze-dried being the next best substitute for live). Not feeding your betta freeze-dried bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp etc. isn't a problem really unless you're trying to condition your betta for breeding.
He gets pellets and freeze dried blood worms but currently no live or frozen food. I just want to make sure that what I'm feeding him is adequate for him to live a long, healthy life. I'm thinking about feeding frozen brine shrimp but worried it will pollute the water because it doesn't float like the 2 foods I feed him now. No, breeding I'm not interested in.
SilverMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:09 AM   #5 
Sakura8

Yeah, I feed mine freeze-dried bloodworms, too. It's really hard to find live foods unless you culture your own. You're feeding him a great diet and even better, you're giving him great care. These things alone will lengthen his life a lot.

I have heard you can stick frozen foods to the glass of the tank but I've never tried it. Also if you do think about feeding him frozen brine shrimp, be aware that sometimes as the food thaws, it can leave a brown juice in the water. Some people rinse the food before putting it in the tank.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:06 AM   #6 
copperarabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverMagic View Post
The reason I'm reluctant to buy frozen brine shrimp is because it doesn't float, that means it has a higher chance of polluting the water if my betta doesn't eat it before it sinks.
It's easy if they are conditioned to come when they see your hand, I rarely have food fall to the bottom because I feed them each piece of food one at a time, and wait for them to be looking before I put the food in. If they don't see my hand I splash or tap the surface a little and they come swimming excitedly over XD

I conditioned my Plakat in the 2.5 mini bow by opening the little flap so it made a click, and he soon learned it meant food, then after he got used to that I would still click it, but then I take the food off and feed him that way so he can see my hand above him rather then the aquarium hood.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 01:56 AM   #7 
Sakura8

I never just drop the food in and leave. I wait until my betta eats, even if he swims around and I have to keep poking the food so it's in front of him. That way I know no food is going to waste, plus it's fun to watch him. :)

Also, I think there's a high chance that even if it does sink, your betta will still find the food and eat it. I've read plenty of posts about people's bettas going down and eating the food meant for their bottom feeders, sometimes right out from under the noses of their cory cats.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:31 AM   #8 
Littlebittyfish

As long as it is a good quality of pellet I don't see it as a problem...Any freeze dried food should only be fed as a snack..Once a week...Once it is freeze dried it loses most of its nutritional value. Live, frozen or a good quality pellet will do...They like a little variety too.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:30 AM   #9 
Tisia

I use chopsticks to grab the brine shrimp a couple at a time and drop them in. most of the time they never make it off the chopsticks. frozen dapnia is even worse, can't really pick those up with chopsticks, those I just slowly pour right in front of their noses, and they grab them all on the way down. unless they're being silly and staring at the little cup waiting for more, then sometimes I'll stick a chopstick down into their water to where the dapnia is floating and they usually follow it, lol
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:56 PM   #10 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Yeah, I feed mine freeze-dried bloodworms, too. It's really hard to find live foods unless you culture your own. You're feeding him a great diet and even better, you're giving him great care. These things alone will lengthen his life a lot.

I have heard you can stick frozen foods to the glass of the tank but I've never tried it. Also if you do think about feeding him frozen brine shrimp, be aware that sometimes as the food thaws, it can leave a brown juice in the water. Some people rinse the food before putting it in the tank.
I sort of disagree: freeze dried bloodworms are not nutritious and should only be fed once a week. Hikari changed their formula so it is no longer a healthy food for bettas (too much wheat, which bettas definitely don't need, and low-quality fish products). I would switch to frozen shrimp (feed one at a time so as not to pollute water) and a high-quality pellet like New Life Spectrum or Omega 1.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote