Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-30-2011, 07:18 PM   #11 
Sakura8

With respect, I really don't understand the fuss over freeze-dried bloodworms. I think they are fine and have more than enough nutrition.

In his book, Aquarium Care of Bettas, aquarist David Boruchowitz writes:
"Freeze drying is a process in which water is removed under low pressure and low temperature that preserves much of the original nutrition and palatability of food organisms."

In her book, Aquarium Care of Cichlids, aquarist Claudia Dickinson writes:
"Freeze drying retains much of the original nutrition and taste appeal, but in a much more convenient form."

Neither author says anything about them causing bloat.

David Boruchowitz has been an aquarist for over 60 years and is the editor-in-chief of the magazine Tropical Fish Hobbyist. Claudia Dickinson is a life member of the American Cichlid Association, where she serves on its board of trustees and managing editor of its publication.

It is based on this information that I feel freeze-dried foods are fine. Whatever deficiency freeze-dried foods are lacking is made up in a variety of foods. Feeding a variety is the most important factor for good nutrition.

Why Hikari switched their formula is a mystery so yes, it's certainly not of the best quality anymore. But again, feeding a variety will make up for its deficiencies and the pellets' very tiny size make it easier for bettas to eat, as opposed to a larger pellet like Top Fin or Aqueon.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:26 PM   #12 
caitic10

Hikari pellets are fine, but most comercial betta foods do not supply enough protien. Freeze dried bloodworms are an excellent, easy and affordable way to provide your betta with protien. Aslong as you don't feed your betta too much and only feed the bloodworms once a week, your betta should be perfectly healthy. I totally agree with Sakura8!
caitic10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:38 PM   #13 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
With respect, I really don't understand the fuss over freeze-dried bloodworms. I think they are fine and have more than enough nutrition.

In his book, Aquarium Care of Bettas, aquarist David Boruchowitz writes:
"Freeze drying is a process in which water is removed under low pressure and low temperature that preserves much of the original nutrition and palatability of food organisms."

In her book, Aquarium Care of Cichlids, aquarist Claudia Dickinson writes:
"Freeze drying retains much of the original nutrition and taste appeal, but in a much more convenient form."

Neither author says anything about them causing bloat.

David Boruchowitz has been an aquarist for over 60 years and is the editor-in-chief of the magazine Tropical Fish Hobbyist. Claudia Dickinson is a life member of the American Cichlid Association, where she serves on its board of trustees and managing editor of its publication.

It is based on this information that I feel freeze-dried foods are fine. Whatever deficiency freeze-dried foods are lacking is made up in a variety of foods. Feeding a variety is the most important factor for good nutrition.

Why Hikari switched their formula is a mystery so yes, it's certainly not of the best quality anymore. But again, feeding a variety will make up for its deficiencies and the pellets' very tiny size make it easier for bettas to eat, as opposed to a larger pellet like Top Fin or Aqueon.
huh...I actually just read this :
http://ezinearticles.com/?id=6184932...ried-Foods%3F=

It says:
"Freeze drying removes water from the food by sublimation. The food is sealed in a vacuum chamber which forces the air out. Freeze drying uses temperatures between -50 degrees Celsius and -80 degrees Celsius. This vaporizes the ice. Because of this, freeze dried food retains more nutrients, and much of its original aroma, texture, and flavor. Freeze dried food is light and usually more expensive than dehydrated food. The process can take several days and the equipment is expensive."

interesting...

I will still only feed once a week as they make my 2 bettas sort of bloated...Maybe because they expand a little in the belly?
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:42 PM   #14 
BeccaBoo

I used to feed my bettas Hikari but I immediately switched after I found out that they changed their ingredients. I now feed my guys Omega One Betta Buffet Flakes and they go crazy for them. The ingredients are excellent!

I also feed them frozen bloodworms one day a week and frozen brine shrimp one day a week, then I fast them for a day. I find it's easier for me feed the bloodworms and brine shrimp if I thaw them in a small container first then feed them to my guys one at a time with tweezers or a turkey baster, that way I can make sure that every bite of food is being eaten and not left to pllute the water.

I've never used any freeze dried products but that's just my preference. I just feel like the frozen stuff would taste better to them. It's like, I prefer the taste of frozen vegetables as opposed the veggies that you buy in a can. Does that make any sense...lol.
BeccaBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:46 PM   #15 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaBoo View Post
I used to feed my bettas Hikari but I immediately switched after I found out that they changed their ingredients. I now feed my guys Omega One Betta Buffet Flakes and they go crazy for them. The ingredients are excellent!

I also feed them frozen bloodworms one day a week and frozen brine shrimp one day a week, then I fast them for a day. I find it's easier for me feed the bloodworms and brine shrimp if I thaw them in a small container first then feed them to my guys one at a time with tweezers or a turkey baster, that way I can make sure that every bite of food is being eaten and not left to pllute the water.

I've never used any freeze dried products but that's just my preference. I just feel like the frozen stuff would taste better to them. It's like, I prefer the taste of frozen vegetables as opposed the veggies that you buy in a can. Does that make any sense...lol.
I get it.
Have you ever noticed how canned carrots don't actually taste like carrots at all??...That has always freaked me out...How do they do that......
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:12 PM   #16 
Sakura8

Hehe, that's because canned carrots have the texture of rubber erasers that have been pureed and then reformed into something vaguely carrot slice shaped.

It's really possible freeze-dried foods could expand a little in the belly. I've been feeding my guy 2 small bloodworms (less than a half inch in length) a day. Do you think that is too much? Should I cut down to maybe 3 times a week or even less? I have the Hikari brand and at this rate, with only two bettas to feed (new girl came home yesterday), the container will expire before I've even gotten a quarter down.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:14 PM   #17 
BeccaBoo

Quote:
I get it.
Have you ever noticed how canned carrots don't actually taste like carrots at all??...That has always freaked me out...How do they do that......
I actually don't think I want to know how they do that....I think that would be the part that freaked me out...
BeccaBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:47 PM   #18 
Dragonlady

IME, bettas grow better and have the best color with live foods that include worms, insects, and shrimp. Good quality pellets designed for bettas are important as part of their diet, too.....unless you happen to live in Thailand.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:55 PM   #19 
dawntay21

i feed mine pellets and once those dried worms that sell at pet smart... ive had my fish for over 3 years now and he is happy and healthy
dawntay21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 10:16 PM   #20 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaBoo View Post
I actually don't think I want to know how they do that....I think that would be the part that freaked me out...
Seriously, I agree. Kinda like I really don't need to know how hot dogs and Spam are made.

Live foods are definitely the best but I just don't feed them for two important reasons. One is the difficulty in obtaining and/or culturing them and secondly - and this is the biggy - I'm just too darn squeamish.